• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Heated seat/memory seats not working

BlackandChrome

After searching for a while, I just picked up a mint 2007 avalanche.  The only issue is the heated seats and memory seats don't work. The dealer ended up giving me +$400 towards my trade-in.  I'm hoping it's an easy fix.  Do you have nay advice where to start?

I tried looking at the fuses, but only saw "cooled seats" in the panel.

I tried looking into it again.

There are no fuses that list heated seats on the inside of the vehicle.  I pulled every fuse and everyone was fine. 

I looked under the hood, nothing listed the mirrors or seats either.    The owners manual didn't offer any help.  Any ideas?

Would a wiring diagram help and did you check the fuse box on the left side of the dashboard.

All those switches are grouped together, so it may be the driver door module or the connector in the door is loose, if the fuse is OK. Does the heater work for the passenger seat?

P.S. Search the Systems forum. There are other threads on this. It might be the memory seat module. It's not cheap to replace.

BlackandChrome said:
After searching for a while, I just picked up a mint 2007 avalanche.  The only issue is the heated seats and memory seats don't work. The dealer ended up giving me +$400 towards my trade-in.   I'm hoping it's an easy fix.  Do you have nay advice where to start?

I tried looking at the fuses, but only saw "cooled seats" in the panel.

Does the power on the passenger seat work? On my 04, the heated drivers and passengers seats and the power for the drivers seat seems to be hooked together. Occasionally these systems will stop working, and it's one of the many connectors under the driver's seat. Try one by one moving the connectors and seeing if the systems start working. Then when you find the connector that is the culrpit, take it apart and clean it and put dielectric grease in it.

It's common for this to be the connectors under the seat (it's a rat's nest under there). I had that problem on my '04 and figured out the connector it was. So far so good after cleaning it up.

I searched.  Only saw threads for 1st gens.  I tried pulling the driver door module (somehting like that.  Its the latched connector) while the car is on, that didn't work.

Not sure if a wire diagram will help.  No fuse on the left dash or under the hood said heated seats.  I pulled out every fuse on the dashboard, they all looked good and were reseated fine.  There was a fuse for cooled seats, but I don't have those. 

The passenger seat doesn't have power anything.  The memory seats on the drivers side doesn't work.  Both heated seats don't work at all, neither do the lights on the door panels.

How do you remove the drivers door panel.  I searched for that on the forums but couldn't find any instructions.  I found the bolt by the door handle, where should I go from there? 

Thanks for the link.  So pretty much remove those 3 screws and lift the door up and off (that's how it was on my EXT)

I looked under the seat to try to find a loose connection, everything seemed snug.

I have the original window sticker.  It doesn't specifically say heated seats.  I'm really hoping the previous owner didn't just get the switches.

You won't notice a loose connector, because it won't be making contact it will take very tiny movement to make it lose this contact. You physically need to move each connector and try the heated seats to find out if this is the problem.

05snopro440 said:
You won't notice a loose connector, because it won't be making contact it will take very tiny movement to make it lose this contact. You physically need to move each connector and try the heated seats to find out if this is the problem.

Are you talking about the connector behind the door (where the heated controls are)? 
Or the door module connector at the fuse panel on the side of the dash?
Or something under the seat?

BlackandChrome,
I also just picked up a really nice 07. Everything works great except the passenger heated seats. The buttons on that door dont have any power. They dont even have the convenience lighting for when its dark. The power seat for that seat works fine though and all the drivers seat conveniences work great. I have checked all the fuses under dash, steering column and hood. I even looked at all the connections I could find under the seat. No luck. There is a small black box under the passenger seat that is labeled "Bosche" but I cant get into it unless I take the seat completely out. Anyone else have any suggestions? I will talk to the dealership today I guess but would rather figure it out myself.

Ok. I have been doing a boatload of searching forums and websites and have gathered some information. First off, there is a GM TSB or information release regarding this issue in 2007-2010 vehicles. 10-08-50-008A. The website I found this information on states that there is a solution to this issue beyond replacing the control module under the passenger seat. It said to correct the termial tension and re route the harness for this module. Vague for sure. But I also found on a different site that the power to the heated seats come through the floor, through the module, to the switches, and then back to the heater elements. So my issue must be somewhere in this module or the switch itself since there is no power to the switch. I will have to take the seat out and remove the module cover to look inside and see if there is a fuse or wiring fault or something else visibly wrong.

Have you checked the circuit breakers they are under the dash to the left of the steering column.

Circuit Breaker      Usage

CB1                    Passenger Side Power Window Circuit Breaker

CB2                    Passenger Seat Circuit Breaker

CB3                    Driver Seat Circuit Breaker

Attachments

• cb under dash.png
    cb under dash.png
    6 KB · Views: 209
Yes. I pulled all 3 of those breakers and checked thier continuity. They all were good. I called the stealership up and he said that the drivers seat and the passengers seats are linked so if one works and the other doesnt, its probably the switch on the door or a broken wire between the circ. breaker and the switch. I see the logic but I have a hard time believing that the whole switch is bad. I mean it has no power at all. In the dark the switch buttons arent even visible compared to every other button in the truck being lit blue. Guess Ill have to pull the switch and see if the wires have power going to it.

BlackandChrome said:
Are you talking about the connector behind the door (where the heated controls are)? 
Or the door module connector at the fuse panel on the side of the dash?
Or something under the seat?

Like I said before, there should be a number of connectors under the driver's seat. One of those may have lost contact. That was the problem on my '04.

So I had the rig in the dealership to have the peeling handles replaced and I asked them to look at the heated seat issue and see if they could tell me what the problem was. Apparantly, the connector in the door near the switch had just worked its was loose. They snugged it up and now all is fine with the world again. Nice to have a simple(cheap) fix for once.

I checked the circuit breakers below the steering wheel today.  I took them all out and probably swapped putting them back in. 
Still didn't work

I took off the door and checked the grey connector to the door switches.  I pushed all of the wires back into the connector to make sure they're in there good.  I plugged it back in and tried it again.  The switches still didn't work.

My friend checked the voltage at the bottom of the switches (when the grey connector was removed).  We were getting power there.  I pulled the switches out, opened that box and tested for power there.  We got power at the pins coming in and on the circuit board right next to the buttons.  The buttons don't light up.  Memory seats doesnt work.  I made sure it wasn't just the light thats.  The seats never came after a min or so.

:E:
Do they sell just the heated seat controls by themselves?  How much is something like that?  I checked ebay and carparts.com.  No luck  All I saw was a "heated seat kit" for around $400: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Avalanche-Heated-Seat-Kit-Casmere-Interior-19158411-/370573794450?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5647eb5c92

I was using my fathers suburban last weekend and I forgot how nice the heated seats with remote start are.  I need to get this working. I don't want to bring it to the mechanic for something simple

You cant make something like this one work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2008-Silverado-Sierra-Yukon-Tahoe-Escalade-Left-Heated-Seat-Switch-/130617692780?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item1e696bd26c

Otherwise you just need to find the part number and do some google searching for the exact one you need. Somewhere will have it cheaper than $400.

I thought it was odd that they didn't sell it by itself.  I didn't find anything when I searched for several of the generic terms (avalanche heated seats, avalanche heated seat controls, etc.)

I've been searching but haven't been able to find the right part number.
I put 15162029 in (the number from that eBay listing) and it says it doesn't work with my VIN from gmpartsgiant.com  It said it was replaced by part # 25822438.  Again, didn't work with my VIN.  I couldn't find this part if I started fresh with my VIN

I checked gmpartsdirect.com, carparts.com, gmpartsgiant.com, gmpartseast.com and a bunch others.  I can't find this damn number.  Anyone know what to look for? 

Maybe this was an aftermarket kit added that just looks factory? I dont know. Just throwing stuff out there. That may be why there is no GM#. Is there any markings or numbers on the switch itself? Maybe call some aftermarkets parts stores and see if such a things exists. Just an idea. Besides that, I guess I might take the switch to an electrician and see if they can fix it or at least determine if it is the problem.

Crap... I put in my VIN and followed the same trail I saw from the part number listed in that ebay auction. The part diagram shows just a normal handle - no heated switch

http://www.gmpartseast.com/Page_Product/PartList.aspx?MakeUrl=Chevy&CatalogUrl=&ComponentCode=TC1699801&SectionCode=16&EngineCode=EVA&TransmissionCode=M30&ModelCode=K10936&Vin=3GNFK12327G121787&ProductionDate=0-0-0&VehicleInfo=Avalanche;2007;4WD&CatalogCode=57C&Year=2007

Looks like the previous person added the switches when they put in the carbon fiber dash kit.  I wonder if they just got switches or the full kit.

I'd rather not rip apart the seat to see if there is a heater element. Any clues I should look for?

I finally took the truck to the dealer to look at the seats.  I didn't want to go another winter without heated seats.

They truck never came with heated seats.  :E: Apparently the previous owner just got the switches when he installed the carbon fiber kit.

Can factory/oem heated seats be added?  I'd rather not go the aftermarket route - I want them to come on when I remote start the truck like they should.
I asked the service guy, but he only said to go to a local place and install an aftermarket system.  OEM stuff will be an arm and a leg.  I don't fully believe him.  He swore the heated seats don't come on with remote start. I know I have 4 other NBC in the family and they all do that. 

These trucks have programing to control options so your may need updated when seat heat is added. The heated seats do come on but it has to be so cold, I would have to read the manual to determine that temp, but mine do react that way. My wife's Pacifica's heat seat and memory was control by a module under the seat. I went to justask.com ( I believe) to get the schematic so i could fix diagnos and fix them. I stated that because I believe that chevy does the same thing. Maybe you could have after market elements and the module (maybe) then the trucks program updated. Just a guess, but after all that the after market heaters would be cheaper.

Back