Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
07/23/14 01:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rear Quarter Panel Rust Above Wheel Wells  (Read 2945 times)
nm3

Av Owner Wannabee...NOT no more!

Awards
« on: 10/21/11 10:08 PM »

Does anyone know of a repair panel to fix the rust above the wheel wells? Mine has it on the right side, although I've seen others with the left side rust.

Thanks.

'02 Pewter Z-71, Sport Leather, GM Protection Package, Sylvania SuperStars, Alpine Stereo with XM Radio, Stripeman Purple Graphix, FlowMaster Force II Catback, Putco SS Tubular Grill, CarrieLes Custom Bowtie, Self- Constructed Carpeted Split Mid-Deck, more to follow...
MS03 2500
CAFCNA 2014 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 10/22/11 05:40 AM »

It's one big piece

1 Panel, Outer Side Avalanche
w/Body Cladding R #14.5 15094758 $1,006.47
                       L #15.0 15094757 $966.48

w/o Body Cladding R #14.0 93440580 $1,067.18
                          L #14.5 93440579 $1,020.11

Escalade EXT        R #14.0 15164415 $1,070.04
                          L #14.5 15164414 $1,086.37
nm3

Av Owner Wannabee...NOT no more!

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 10/22/11 09:24 AM »

Thank You very much for that information. It could prove to be valuable.

But, I was thinking more of a smaller portion of the quarter panel just around the wheel opening.

Thanks.

'02 Pewter Z-71, Sport Leather, GM Protection Package, Sylvania SuperStars, Alpine Stereo with XM Radio, Stripeman Purple Graphix, FlowMaster Force II Catback, Putco SS Tubular Grill, CarrieLes Custom Bowtie, Self- Constructed Carpeted Split Mid-Deck, more to follow...
MS03 2500
CAFCNA 2014 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 10/22/11 09:48 AM »

I haven't seen a patch panel for it, I did do a couple internet searches with no luck
ms38w

I AM the Scorpion

WWW Awards
« Reply #4 on: 10/22/11 12:58 PM »

A good body man could work in some sheet metal.

'02 1500 Z71, with a few mods...
408 Stroker, H2 rear end, 6-speed manual,side pipes, shorty headers,8-lug wheels, 1-ton T-case, custom drive shafts.
highvelocity

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 01/23/12 08:03 AM »

Yeah, if you don't want to pay alot.  Cut out the rust and have a welder tack in a piece.  Sometimes you can get a really good deal on aftermarket parts but it's still labor intensive.

Once You Go Chevy, You Won't Go Back!!!
wistech

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 03/10/12 05:22 AM »

Our 02 started bubbling there at 8 years and now my 04 just popped a bubble last week.  I cut the area out and welded in new metal . The key is to get the piece of foam out of that area that traps water and salt  and makes it rot.   Just a simple angled patch panel is all that needed.  Just make sure you drill a few holes and drown the area inside after the repair with undercoating .   
Im also thinking when I do the 04 I am not going to paint the whole quarter panel to match and paint the bump the color of the cladding so it looks like it matches the truck.  Maybe a little texture to mimmic the cladding.
highvelocity

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 03/12/12 01:59 PM »

Thats a good point... Don't be afraid of painting.  It's easier than you think.  Get your surface as smooth as possible, if you need some bondo it's fine, just keep it thin.  I was able to use a nice high build primer only.   Go with 380 grit to 600 and pray on your color with 50% overlap, I used 3-4 coats on my repair.  Then within a half hour put your clear coats on, I went with 3 coats, first one is light.  The trick with clear is 2nd and 3rd coats, lay it on as think as possible without runs.  Then you can either leave alone if its near the tires or cut and buff it.  Go 800-1200-1500 grit,,,then buff to a shine.

The problem I had, was my mud flaps wore through the paint at each fender.  And rust was forming under each mud flap.  They were the rigid plastic kind...FYI.

Ed   

Once You Go Chevy, You Won't Go Back!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: