• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Custom wrote tune or dyno tuners in Michigan

DP425

I'm looking for either a dyno tuner in MI who will work with my AV, OR someone highly recommended to write a tune without a dyno run.  Anyone?

DP425 said:
I'm looking for either a dyno tuner in MI who will work with my AV, OR someone highly recommended to write a tune without a dyno run.  Anyone?

post what you come up with if you could i'm gonna be looking into getting a tuner too i just donno anything about them yet. will be reading those threads soon. but i'm in michigan also so whatever you find would be apreciated.

Perhaps the two of you could split the cost of HPTuners and then each get a Nelson tune and share the HPTuners to further do further mods down the road.

I thoight about a nelson tune. But thats just a new computer that they send right? If i add more mods how much i have to pay to get them to add those to the new comp?  And im sure itd a take a cuple weeks or sp to get  changed out.

Unless he's changed the way he runs things, the tunes are lifetime, regardless of engine setup changes.  He will adjust your tune for any modifications you make down the road.  I started with twin turbos, and now I run N/A, he just emails me a file.  That's the beauty of HPTuners.  You install it in a laptop (or haul the desk top out to the garage  :E:  ) and plug the device in between the computer and the OBDII and follow the instructions for HPTuners and re-programming of the PCM is automatic.  You don't have to send him your PCM or get another one from him if you have HPTuners.  He can go over all the details with you.  The downside is that HPTuners will run around $500 to $800 depending on what licensing you buy...you shouldn't need to buy any extra, so the basic should do...I think around $500.  The tune that Alan does will run you about another $500...but he will make any changes you require for as long as you own the vehicle.  So you spend a total of around $1000.  Now, if you and some buddies share the cost of HPTuners and share it back and forth, your only personal cost is for Alan's tune.  Now, once you get the tune and you decide you want to learn how to tune your self (very difficult. HPTuners is not user friendly), you can tune any vehicle with an OBDII port...as long as you've purchased the necessary credits for said vehicles.  You can go to HP Tuners.com/forum and sign up and look around.  I still don't get it, and have managed to mess up my tune.  I emailed him the tune file nd told him what happened.  I'm just waiting for him to look at it and fix it, then email it back to me.  I will then load it into my PCM and be a happy camper again  >:D  .

In my personal opinion, HP tuners is the way to go compared to all the other handheld programmers. My tuner also uses hp tuners, Nelson is a great tuner and you'll notice a night and day difference.

Highly recommend Vector in Macomb county. They did my GTO and I would send my Av there except I already had a Hypertech tuner. After seeing what he did with my GTO I am sorry I didn't take the Av there.

Avalon

I agree on the Vector team.  They're also owned by the guys who run The Car Guys Garage over in Brighton if that is closer to you.  The whole group all used to come from Wheel2Wheel which used to do a bunch of the GM show cars years ago

Back