• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2011 supercharged?

COLTZ11

ok i know this is probly a dumb question  :E: but has anyone with a 2011 AV supercharged yet? ive been looking around and the newest i can find is like 2008 and i know there were some minor differences in engines but then i looked at magna chargers and they have superchargers for 07-10 then one just for the 11  :cautious: wondering what kind of numbers i could expect and also hell if its been done yet on a brand new 2011  >:D mind u i have about 4k miles to go before i can start doing major mods  :laugh: gotta put 5k on it atleast  >:D thanks for the help in advance

Just got an '11 also.  Bone stock at the moment.  

Considering a supercharger at some point and right now my choice is a Magnason kit, but I don't really know jack about superchargers yet.  

I'd actually like some advice on starting from scratch.  Supercharger kit by itself?  Where to go from there?  Exhaust?  Corsa would be nice, but damn expensive.  I can do alright turning wrenches myself, but getting into the guts of the engine (cams, lifters, etc) leaves me a bit intimidated.  I also figure more air means more fuel which needs more spark, so ignition upgrade might be needed?  

Also planning on lifting so I wonder which I should do first, lift or supercharge.  Dunno.

You can also get kits for centrifugal superchargers as well from Vortech and Procharger.

enoniam said:
You can also get kits for centrifugal superchargers as well from Vortech and Procharger.

But as I understand it, positive displacement units like the screw or roots style make boost at lower RPMs than a centrifugal one.  More low end torque is the result, instead of having to rev to build boost.  Either is probably better than a turbo, though.

With that in mind, and wanting to lift and run bigger tires, low-end power seems preferable.  I also like Magna's selling point about being very "install and forget".  I don't want to constantly dink with the engine if I don't want to.

PromptCritical said:
But as I understand it, positive displacement units like the screw or roots style make boost at lower RPMs than a centrifugal one.  More low end torque is the result, instead of having to rev to build boost.  Either is probably better than a turbo, though.

With that in mind, and wanting to lift and run bigger tires, low-end power seems preferable.  I also like Magna's selling point about being very "install and forget".  I don't want to constantly dink with the engine if I don't want to.

It all depends on what type of build you are looking for.

You can somewhat circumvent the higher-rpm boost needs of a centrifugal by adding a higher stall converter. A centrifugal will make higher ultimate horsepower versus a Roots, although the newer Roots units have closed the gap.

For ultimate horsepower a turbo beats a supercharger.

You see which choice I ultimately made, so my sentiment pretty much agrees with yours. It takes a lot of torque to move these 6000 pound pigs off the line, although the gear ratios in the new 6-speed auto have helped a lot versus my 4L60E.

As far as install it and forget it goes, the Magnacharger has been on my truck for 11 years and 65k miles now and I've done nothing except drive it. I will probably change the oil in the unit some time this year. From my perspective they have lived up to their advertising.

That's pretty much my thinking on the matter.

Thus far, I think I have a basic plan here:

change gears to 3.73 and get a Diablo tuner.
Run the gears as an experiment with stock wheels and tune to satisfy Bigtruckluver's  curiousity.
Retune to correct gear ratio.
Lift (6" procomp or Fabtech) and install 35s.  Retune for that.
Corsa Sport exhaust.
Eventually, when funds allow: Magnacharger.

I think I hit the high points.

The Magnacharger TVS1900 kits for the 2008 are practically the same as for the 2009 to 2013.  There were some token differences.  I don't know precisely, but I think it may actually be more computer related.  The core parts will be the same. 

The shop that did mine has done hundreds of 5.3L GM trucks.  No doubt it can be done.  My power jumped up to ~340RWHP and ~380RWTQ.  As noted before, the positive displacement style blower produces the power down low.  You need that for these big fat trucks - especially for towing.  So the numbers may not look impressive, but you get all the power really low in the RPM band.

My Trans Am has a Vortech Centrifugal blower and it is more for top end.  Just like a turbo.  You can get away with that on the car because it isn't so heavy, and the LS1 has more low end torque than the 5.3L.

I haven't touched mine since being installed two years ago.  Flawless.

JohnnieMo said:
The Magnacharger TVS1900 kits for the 2008 are practically the same as for the 2009 to 2013.  There were some token differences.  I don't know precisely, but I think it may actually be more computer related.  The core parts will be the same. 

The shop that did mine has done hundreds of 5.3L GM trucks.  No doubt it can be done.  My power jumped up to ~340RWHP and ~380RWTQ.  As noted before, the positive displacement style blower produces the power down low.  You need that for these big fat trucks - especially for towing.  So the numbers may not look impressive, but you get all the power really low in the RPM band.

My Trans Am has a Vortech Centrifugal blower and it is more for top end.  Just like a turbo.  You can get away with that on the car because it isn't so heavy, and the LS1 has more low end torque than the 5.3L.

I haven't touched mine since being installed two years ago.  Flawless.

Sounds like a great system.  Did you have to put a fuel pump on the truck for the supercharger or was the OEM pump fine?

GTrains said:
Sounds like a great system.  Did you have to put a fuel pump on the truck for the supercharger or was the OEM pump fine?

You know, I'm not sure exactly what came in the kit.  I literally dropped the truck at the shop, went to Vegas for 4 days, then picked it up.  (my life isn't typically so glamourous!)  So whatever you need is part of the kit.  I assume a secondary fuel pump is part of the deal.  I do recall something about the Flexfuel engines having a larger stock pump (which mine has) so that could affect whether or not one is needed.

On my car, the Vortech kit had a secondary pump.  I know that for sure because mine failed and the car lost a bunch of horsepower.

JohnnieMo said:
You know, I'm not sure exactly what came in the kit.  I literally dropped the truck at the shop, went to Vegas for 4 days, then picked it up.  (my life isn't typically so glamourous!)  So whatever you need is part of the kit.  I assume a secondary fuel pump is part of the deal.  I do recall something about the Flexfuel engines having a larger stock pump (which mine has) so that could affect whether or not one is needed.

On my car, the Vortech kit had a secondary pump.  I know that for sure because mine failed and the car lost a bunch of horsepower.

That is exactly what I am reading as well, that the E85 trucks don't need an upgraded pump.  I was just checking on here to see if that was any different.  Every car I have supercharged in the past needed a new fuel pump or booster, but in this case, it looks to really be bolt on.  Mine is a flexfuel truck as well....

A flex fuel Av shouldn't need a new fuel pump for a simple Magnacharger/Edelbrock/etc type blower install

The kit should come with new injectors. And most come with some type of tuning device they'll get you somewhat close...

Personally, for the money, I believe a custom tune is the way to go. Buying a "tuner kit" is cheaper then the full kit. You'll have to buy injectors and have it tuned buy a professional.

My tuner does tunes all over the world via email. All the customer needs is HPTuners. Watch for him next season on Engine Power on SpikeTV.
They installed a TVS on a 427 and made 790hp on the first pull. After tweeting it a bit, made 816hp/801tq.

He tunes all the cars I build or help build. Made 920 to the tire on a 346" LS6 in an 03 vette.

Good luck with your project.

FWIW, I agree that a roots/screw type blower is the ticket for our heavy trucks.

Thinking about doing this in the next few years possibly. But also thinking that since my goal is to drop the body of my truck onto a 2500 dmax frame and chassis that is really isnt worth the coin.

Back