• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Aluminum wheels and tire air loss

Reddragon774

I don't know is this the right folder for this question and I couldn't find the topic but I'm sure it has been asked since I don;t think I'm the only one with this problem.....I loss air from my tires still even after I have had all the tires off and the rims sanded to remove the corrosion....some more than once....any cures for this???

I had a set of non OEM chrome rims, they were really pretty till they started to pit terribly, and one was pitted right at the valve stem, I finally shot a can of fix a flat in it after continuously airing it up about every third day or so.  This helped for quite  a bit,  when it started leaking again I bit the bullet and bought new rims, non chrome, lol

Didit

DId they check for leaks first? with air bubble test with tire on wheel under water?

where was it leaking? might be the tire bead if near wheel

Could be wheel or tire itself....

I have been fighting this issue since I bought my truck.  Dealership went and ground down the  corrosion around the inside lip of the rim and added a sealant.  Front driverside still leaks a little but not as bad as before.  Eventually will have to get new rims.  Dealership said there is no recall as it happens to all aluminum rims.

This is percisely why I put steel wheels on my trucks... It is bound to happen after a few years, and as the rims get older, they will leak with new tires.

Back