• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2008 Avalanche Cruise Control not working

BucksOSU73

Hello all.  I wanted to share my story in hopes that it would help someone else in the future.  My cruise control in my '08 LT has been going in and out.  I am way past the warranty, so I was putting it off.  However, I like using my cruise, so I did a little research and found out that this model seems to have a problem with the Brake Switch.  The switch being faulty and showing the cruise control a false positive that the brake is being applied will cause it to malfunction.  I picked one up at the my local dealer for $19 and 10 minutes later, my cruise worked every time I tried it.  Very simple fix too.  Just take out a bolt, undo the clip, pull out the plug and out it comes.  Be sure to use plenty of grease when the new one is installed.  Best $19 fix I ever had the pleasure to perform.

Where is this brake switch located? I was seeing some similar posts and it mentions two spots by the pedal or under the front passenger seat.... I have an 08 too any help would be appreciated... the on/off switch works but the green light doesn't come on in the cluster... I just went to use it this weekend and I pressed the button 100 times and it came on once, but I could never get it to come back on again..  I also am not finding this part on the parts list by this name, could it be called something else? do you have the part number from the invoice?

My 07 just started this  :E:.  Thanks for posting your story.  I hope this is it and it is this easy! 

After a year of intermittent problems, my 2008 LT's cruise control stopped working entirely about a month ago.  :E:

Where is the Brake Switch?  It seems several people are wondering about how to do this fix...

My 1999 Suburban did the very same thing.

Bought a new brake light switch for about $19.00.

The switch on the Suburban was mounted right next to the steering column toward the top of the brake pedal.

I imagine it is in the same place on the AVA, or close to it, but my Suburban did not have adjustable pedals.

A fifteen minute job if you take a five minute beer and cuss break.

You can do it!

(y)

EXT4ME is correct it is attached to the arm above the brake pedal.
Remove a 10mm bolt, slide a small clip off, and replace the 20 dollar switch.
Quick and painless.

...what sucked for me is it gave out (intermittent) in Georgia (2 days) fighting with it off and on (mostly off) then it finally gave out on a weekend trip to Niagara Falls (5 hrs each way) with NO cruise,
so after replacement, was I ever excited every time I engaged the cruise and it actually worked!!

Once again members helping members save some money  (y)

Sorry guys.  I don't check the forum regularly.  However, the part # is 25981009.  To change it, just follow the brake pedal up into the firewall.  You will see (and hear) the switch.

Located the same place it's been for the last 60 years or however long it's been since god invented suspended brake pedals.  :beating:

HERE'S THE "ON THE ROAD" FIX....

I ran into this problem on my way from PA to FL. Long drive to not have cruise. Called some auto parts stores on the way, but none had it in stock.

I really didn't want to drive the whole trip without cruise, so when we stopped in NC for the night I decided to take the switch apart and see if there was anything I could do. Removed the switch (By the way, on my '07 there is only a clip holding it to the brake pedal arm. No 10mm bolt. 30 seconds to get it off with only a flat screwdriver.) Used the screw driver to pry the top off of the switch and open it up. Inside is a spring-loaded plunger and a cam (be careful taking the plunger out - there's a good bit of tension on the spring).

The problem is that the plastic wears and the cam no longer rotates enough to activate the cruise side of the switch. What I did was shave the plunger down where it contacts the housing to give it a little more range. The plastic is pretty soft, so it's easy to shave with a razor blade. Just make sure you DON'T SHAVE OFF TOO MUCH or the cam will rotate past the contact point. Shave a little and refit it with the spring to see how much the cam moved. You can always shave off more if you need to, but if you shave too much you can't put it back! Worked like a charm for the rest of the trip. (I have some pics, but I'm embarassed to say I don't know how to upload them - If someone can give me a tip on that, I will put them up.)

Here ya go...
http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,109293.0.html
But you don't have enough posts yet to be allowed to add photos to your posts.

:welcome: LuvTheLanche
Join us here on Saturday.
http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,139257.0.html

Okay, I can post photos now. The photo of the plunger shows the surfaces that need to be shaved to allow it to travel a bit farther. Again, shave just a little of the plastic with a razor blade, reinstall with the spring to check the fit and activate the plunger to check the positioning. Don't take off too much at one shot.

The photo of the assembled switch shows the correct rest position of the cam. This was taken after I shaved the plunger. Before shaving, the cam did not rotate enough to disengage the contact. If I did it again, I would actually shave a little less than I did this time.

Attachments

• IMG_20131101_075944_641-1.jpg
    IMG_20131101_075944_641-1.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_20131101_080443_436-1.jpg
    IMG_20131101_080443_436-1.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 173
Actually, it was very little work. The switch has to come out whether you modify it or replace it. Once it's out, it takes 10 seconds to pop the cover off and a minute or two to shave and fit the plunger. Even if you have to shave it a few times to get the right position, it's still a 5 or 10 minute job. $20 for 5 or 10 min of work seems pretty good to me. Plus it would probably take longer to search for and buy the part online, and for sure it would take longer to go to the dealership to buy the part!

That said, I think you missed the point. If you notice I called it an "on the road" fix. My first attempt was to get a new switch, but no parts stores that I called in the area had it, and dealerships were not open. At least for me it was well worth the 10 minutes in my hotel room so I would have cruise for my 12 hour drive.

LuvTheLanche said:
That said, I think you missed the point. If you notice I called it an "on the road" fix. My first attempt was to get a new switch, but no parts stores that I called in the area had it, and dealerships were not open. At least for me it was well worth the 10 minutes in my hotel room so I would have cruise for my 12 hour drive.

Yeah, I forgot you mentioned doing this on the road.    (y)

Sure enough, I read some of these posts over the last couple weeks and YESTERDAY my '07s cruise control took a poop on my 6 hour round trip. I was pulling a trailer anyway so I wouldn't have used it much for the trip.

Now, to decide on buying a new one or try to save $20 and shave the plunger....... hmmm

Thanks for the tips  (y)

BucksOSU73 said:
Sorry guys.  I don't check the forum regularly.  However, the part # is 25981009.  To change it, just follow the brake pedal up into the firewall.  You will see (and hear) the switch.

Thanks for the info on the part...drove from CT to NC on the OBX with NO CRUISE :E:...so I read this after I made an appointment at the dealer out here, needless to say, I got the part and 10 minutes I have cruise again! Love this site! Thanks all

Back