Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
10/31/14 04:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: G80 locker in 04 Z71  (Read 1532 times)
chp5

Awards
« on: 09/24/11 02:55 AM »

I was reading another thread on gear ratios and codes in the glove box. My 04 Z71 has 3.73 gear (gt4) and a locker (g80).

Forgive my ignorance, but what does a locker do and what is the benefit?  Thx.

2004 Z71, no cladding, Tahoe Z71 rims, CAI, backup sensors
ygmn
Administrator

Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 09/24/11 02:58 AM »

When one rear tire spins faster then the other side... and speed is under 20 mph..

the locker will kick in and make both tires spin together...

which helps prevent on from being stuck... but make it hard to take turns..

it will unlock when you stop and back up or go over 20mph....

SEARCH EATON G80

Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
Flint4x4
CAFCNA 2014 Premium Member

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 09/24/11 05:05 AM »

good answer ygmn  Thumbs up! 

I have the same, '04 Z71 3.73 rear end. Z71 or Z66 both came with the Eaton locking rear differential. At slow speed when one of your rear wheels slips it is supposed to lock up so both rear wheels turn at the same speed.

You can test it easy, all you need is a loose surface. Wet pavement, dirt road or anywhere you can break traction easy. Cut your steering wheel hard left or right then gun it from a stop, make sure nobody is in front of you ! The rear end will lock and since one rear wheel is traveling a further distance,... the rear end will get squirrly when you are turning.

Do it straight ahead too, you should be able to feel it lock.

"Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education."  - Bertrand Russell
chp5

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 09/24/11 06:49 AM »

Thanks for the replies. 

2004 Z71, no cladding, Tahoe Z71 rims, CAI, backup sensors
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: