• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Avalanche v. Ridgeline... no comparison.

BBQ Bandit

SM 2011
Was sitting all by itself... thought it could use some company.  :kidding:

IMAG0028.jpg

IMAG0029.jpg

IMAG0031.jpg

IMAG0040.jpg

IMAG0039.jpg

Wonder if he can walk on his cover ... without falling in?
IMAG0033.jpg

Umm... what is a rack doing on the roof?
IMAG0034.jpg

Almost tossed my lunch... mini flip flops under the rear view?
IMAG0032.jpg

IMAG0037.jpg

Needed a versatile worktruck... not an imported underpowered poser wannabee.
That's my story... and sticking to it!

:laugh:I always talk crap about the Ridgeline when I see one on the road.  My wife just rolls her eyes, she just doesn't quite get it  :rolleyes: LOL.  LOVE the post though the best part is that your AV looks almost exactly like mine, so it was like looking at my own truck making that Ridge shiver... (y)

Let's not make too much fun of the Ridgeline.  It is an okay looking car.  Kind of reminds me of an El Camino.

I also hope the engines on those last. It is what my beautiful young bride has in her '05 Vue.

A guy I race with uses one as a tow vehicle, but I'm guessing he is in the minority.  He tows a Porsche Boxster on an open trailer.

I can't help but tailgate em when I see em.  That way I give everyone a good comparison.  :B:

I could see a purpose to them if they got significantly better mpg, and if they had a mid gate, but without them, it just doesn't do it for me.

I spent some time on a Ridgeline site like ours, and apparently their main reason for choosing a honda over our beloved Av is the Honda name. They don't even want to drive a truck to begin with. There is no real comparison what-so-ever, save for the stolen idea.

To add insult to injury, they are buying our bed mats and cutting them to fit their cars (that thing isn't a truck, is it?).

Putting an Av bed mat in a Ridgeline..... wouldn't that exceed the Ridgeline's load capacity?  >:D

Joelg1980 said:
I spent some time on a Ridgeline site like ours, and apparently their main reason for choosing a honda over our beloved Av is the Honda name. They don't even want to drive a truck to begin with. There is no real comparison what-so-ever, save for the stolen idea.

To add insult to injury, they are buying our bed mats and cutting them to fit their cars (that thing isn't a truck, is it?).

Funny that you mention stolen idea.  I've had a few people now ask me about my truck and say (incorrectly) that the Honda has a midgate.  They're quite surprised that the Avy is the only one (except the Hummer) with a midgate. 

I also get a kick out of Dodge Ram commercials talking about the RamBox being the only truck with that feature. 

I too giggle at the "Ram Box", like their breaking molds for the idea.  :laugh:

The people on the Ridgeline site bash the midgate as being unsafe. Then they typically say something smart alecky about Chevy in general.

One is a truck, the other is an SUV with the roof missing.

02Z71_Tonka said:
They are also front wheel drive. Why would anyone want a front wheel drive truck, it just ain't right.

why would anyone want FWD anything??

i hate driving front wheel drive cars. they just handle wrong. though my wife's Vue is nice, it is noticeably front wheel drive. cornering sucks on that.  Same goes with her old Maxima.

PerfectReign said:
why would anyone want FWD anything??

i hate driving front wheel drive cars. they just handle wrong. though my wife's Vue is nice, it is noticeably front wheel drive. cornering sucks on that.  Same goes with her old Maxima.

I hear that. I'm driving my wife's Mazda 5 today. While I dig the 5 over any other mid-size thing, it sure handles a lot differently than the Av does. I miss the Av.

I also spent some time in the Ridgeline forums like ours.  As said before the most common reason they love their RL is because of the Honda name, and they can't stand GM.  I did get a kick out of a few comments though...

1.  Unfortunately, the idea behind removing the back wall, window, flip-down cover and whatever else this Tonka truck can do, simply doesn't work.  In addition, I've heard many complaints about road noise on these gasketed panels that eventually leak water into the cabin.
2.  No opinion, I dont even think I have ever noticed one on the road.
3.  Hate the avalanche - it's a typical under-engineered domestic vehicle and it's comparison to the RL cheapens the tech involved in the design of the RL.

The best things I saw had to do with the Av being "too big" and they like the luxury car ride that the RL gives them  :9: I guess some people just like a sissy truck  >:D Several of them were even talking about how to put the Av sail panels on their RL...  :laugh:

Joelg1980 said:
I too giggle at the "Ram Box", like their breaking molds for the idea.  :laugh:

The people on the Ridgeline site bash the midgate as being unsafe. Then they typically say something smart alecky about Chevy in general.

One is a truck, the other is an SUV with the roof missing.
I kinda like the ram box this looks pimp http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Mopar-RamBox-Holster.jpg

Samsquanch said:
Damnit... even I'll admit that's kinda awesome

You're right, that is awesome.  :cool: I bet you could make the same type of mod for our Av's, but half of it would be covered and it wouldn't be as accessible... Maybe only single-wide...

The Ram Outdoorsman was on the shortlist before I decided on the AV, I chose the AV because you cannot fit a good size rod in the ram box.  With my AV, I can load up my 8-10'ers the night before, and lock em up.  What I liked about the dodge was the 110 outlet in the dash, and the 12volt in the bed.  What I liked about the AV...

EVERYTHING!!  :B:

A 110 outlet in the dash is pretty easy to mod up.

A 12 volt in the bed has been done. I'd say take a look around the forum.

I did like the light in the ram box. However, I know with the amount of crap (including a bb gun) I have in my side pockets, it would make no difference.  :rolleyes:

Just thinking out loud - I wonder how the transmission on the RL's hold up. I know the Honda Odyssey, Pilot and MDX all had major transmission problems that are still lingering. 

J_AV said:
I also spent some time in the Ridgeline forums like ours.  As said before the most common reason they love their RL is because of the Honda name, and they can't stand GM.  I did get a kick out of a few comments though...

1.  Unfortunately, the idea behind removing the back wall, window, flip-down cover and whatever else this Tonka truck can do, simply doesn't work.  In addition, I've heard many complaints about road noise on these gasketed panels that eventually leak water into the cabin.
2.  No opinion, I dont even think I have ever noticed one on the road.
3.  Hate the avalanche - it's a typical under-engineered domestic vehicle and it's comparison to the RL cheapens the tech involved in the design of the RL.

The best things I saw had to do with the Av being "too big" and they like the luxury car ride that the RL gives them  :9: I guess some people just like a sissy truck  >:D Several of them were even talking about how to put the Av sail panels on their RL...  :laugh:

I see you and I have similar feelings about their affinity the sissy version of the Av. I, too noticed that they keep saying how "rugged" the Av is, like that is a bad thing? I love how they are trying to make their car look like a truck!!!! (n)

Do not mean to hijack the thread, but wanted to add to it. It looks like Subaru is also producing Avalanche wanna bees.. Seen htis today while i was at work. I did not take this picture...

Everybody wants to be an AV!!

http://www.blackbullet.com/webpix/subaru.baja.jpg

dcn427 said:
Do not mean to hijack the thread, but wanted to add to it. It looks like Subaru is also producing Avalanche wanna bees.. Seen htis today while i was at work. I did not take this picture...

Everybody wants to be an AV!!

http://www.blackbullet.com/webpix/subaru.baja.jpg

I don't know if I'd call that a take off the Av.  More of a revival of the Subaru Brat.  Seriously, the bed on those things compare to an over sized ash tray. :)  I think it's also wrong wheel drive. 

No comparison.

Back