• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

electric motor /cable window replacement

puckman

My cable broke inside the door, the motor sounds like it is working. if cable is broke do i replace complete unit ? is it a motor or regulator ?  is it difficult to replace ?

Most people buy the whole assembly as the difference in price isn't that bad. Real easy to replace but you might need to buy a couple metric bolts or nuts. There was a design change in the way they mount in the door, but I don't know what year that happened. I had a coworker who did replace the cable itself, but finding the correct diameter steel cable could be a problem. We had several types of cable to choose from at work and oneof them worked for him. I replaced my assembly in my drivers door in under an hour.

Depending on which door there are a couple screws holding the controls, might need to replace a few plastic clips when you pull the door panel off. Once you get the panel off it's pretty much self explanatory, just change the entire motor/regulator assembly. Removing/replacing the door panel is 90% of the job.

It's almost always the cable broke or is binding. I saved the motor from my driver door, now passenger side is binding which can't be good on the motor. I'll just change the whole assembly, if I ever do have a motor go I'll have two spares.

I believe i can replace the motor assembly just not sure about the cables they appear i could have a problem with them .  I am sure it is not just a remove and replace job and working with something i can't get a good look at could be a problem.  If someone has a site i can get some direction i would be appreciate the help.

The motor/regulator assembly is one piece, maybe $125.00 but you can find them for as little as $60 online. The cables are all included in the assembly, just a few bolts once you get the door panel off. It's easy, the door panel is the pain.

The job is real simple. In a nutshell, roll window down to remove doorpanel. Then roll window up and TAPE IT IN PLACE in the up position so you can disconnect the regulator/motor assembly from the window without it falling down. Use blue masking tape for painting so you won't damage your paint. Install new regulator, attach window to assembly, roll down window/ check for proper operation of window and door locks, latches, install door panel. You're done.

Someone here posted a link to a step by step Procedure with pictures. Do a search and you should be able to find it.

thanks to all the  people who post with the help for the regulator/ motor.

if you have tinted windows DO NOT PUT ANY TAPE OF ANY SORT on it, keep the tape on the outside , but really if your careful you dont need to tape it at all.  I replaced one in an 04, took probable twenty minutes total from start to finish!
and I've had my 03's out several times for tinting.
Didit

My drivers front cable just broke.  Man, how complicated can you make something?

Bought a new assembly with motor on ebay for about $40. 
Here's a link -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-PASSENGERS-SIDE-GMC-CHEVROLET-CADILLAC-NEW-MANUAL-WINDOW-REGULATOR-RIGHT-/350863115641?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2004%7CMake%3AChevrolet%7CModel%3AAvalanche+1500&hash=item51b1124579&vxp=mtr

Very simple replacement.  Took about an hour.

This works best it the window is stuck in the up position.
Use painters tape to hold the window in place.
Get some white lithium grease.

Steps 

Remove door panel.  Remove window controls from door panel ( needed to raise/lower window while panel is off ).  Remove vapor shield.  Reconnect window control panel.  Remove six bolts holding regulator. Loosen two bolts holding glass.  Lower regulator to release glass.  Remove busted regulator.  Grease new regulator.  Install new regulator. Run the regulator up to engage with glass.  Tighten bolts on glass, then the six in the door.  Run the window up and down to check fit and adjust if needed.  Disengage the window controls and reinstall in door panel.  Reinstall vapor shield, then door panel.

Dealer wanted $800.00 to do the job.  Cost about $45.00 ( Regulator, tape, and grease ) and an hour of time.  Can't see an issue there.

There's a good youtube video to watch, but it's too simple to bother.

Replaced my Drivers window Regulator and motor.

Went to some drugstore drive thru and the sucekr would not go back up.

Like above remove stuff in the way and then checked for voltage at motor connector first.
Verify polarity swaps with up/down switch.
I had voltage so I knew it was motor.

original regulator about 13 years old so I decided to replace it too for a fresh new one with GREASE on the rails.

Easy job.
Hardest part is removing door panel.

I did test motor before bolting that sucker back in.

Really the first thing to break on my truck for about 10 years now!
Dependable is understatement

Back