• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

How long does the Avalanche last?

Car_lover25

Hello, I am new here.

I am currently in the process of buying my very first car, and I have chosen the Avalanche, as I have heard it is a great vehicle for winter driving, as I live in Montana and we have some harsh winters.

However, I cannot afford a new one, so I have to buy used. My question is this: How many miles is an Avalanche good for?

I have found a 2003 model for 8,000$, but it has 165,000 miles on it. 

I have also found other models fr around 15,000$ and have anywhere from over 100,000 to 65,000 miles on them and they range from 2001 to 2008 in terms of year. 

I want to know from people who have experience. Is it worth buying an Avalanche when it has such high miles? Or will it break down a lot, or not work as well, and how much would I have to fix and replace. 

I currently make very little money and cannot afford much in terms of repairs.  So any advice on this matter is greatly appreciated. 

If it's taken care of and been maintained it can last a long time. We have one member here with over 300,000 miles and many more with over 200,000.

Design life has "traditionally" been 100K miles. Late model vehicles can comfortably go well beyond this but not without reduced reliability and maintenance cost expectations. 

So would you guys recommend that if an Avalanche is over 100,000 miles, that before I buy I have an independent, certified mechanic give an independent inspection in order to find out the quality of the car and if things need to be replace? 

Yes I do, but even thou they look at it things can go wrong. When you test drive it listen for strange noises turn off the radio and row down the windows. I would not worry about the miles if you bought one with 60,000 miles it could still happen.

Also check the paint on it, if you see signs of rust pass on it.

Since I don't know much, is it ok if I ask, why is rust bad for cars? Can't we just use rust remover to fix it?

Car_lover25 said:
Since I don't know much, is it ok if I ask, why is rust bad for cars? Can't we just use rust remover to fix it?

Rust is like cancer you can't stop it without major bucks.

ltxi said:
Design life has "traditionally" been 100K miles. Late model vehicles can comfortably go well beyond this but not without reduced reliability and maintenance cost expectations. 

Yeah maybe 40 years ago, here in the 21st century it is not so much miles as age and in age you have to consider the environment the vehicle is in. 5 years in southern california doesn't age a vehicle the same as 5 years in the Midwest or New England, no snow or salted roads out here.  People put 100k on vehicles in 2-3 years now so personally I would be less concerned with 100,000 miles on an 8 year old vehicle than I would be over that 8 year old vehicle being in a harsh winter environment. 

It's not just rust, its the degradation of the rubber and plastic parts as well.  Extreme cold does not bode well for those parts either.   

ltxi said:

In the old days true. Now they are shooting for 200k. But having said that I would try and stay under 100k. After 200k alot of things need rplacing. Radiators, brake booster, transmissions, axle bearings, etc.

Avalon

Personally i think these trucks are very reliable in the 75000 miles to 150000 miles range.  However, everything has its bugs.  Get a good reliable inspection from a mechanic not someone from the dealership not someone brought in by the dealership.  If he finds ANYTHING wrong, get the dealership to fix it before purchase or take your money elsewhere to buy a vehicle that doesnt already have problems.

Good luck.

You folks are bring up some good points, I have to agree if your getting near 200 k up better have some mechanical skills. It's not that trucks aren't reliable but things will wear out.

Be sure and ask them to show you the car fax..

Define "LAST".

i mean you can keep things running forever if you have enough money...

Just ask those people who restore old antiques...

I've heard of one guy with a 1870's model Avalanche. It has many years behind it.  The tonneau cover needs occasional washing but that's it.

I think he's replace the engine a few times. In fact, that 1876 model only had two horsepower.

Attachments

• covered-wagon-minnesota.jpg
    covered-wagon-minnesota.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 490
Design life is different than expected service life. The latter has risen significantly. The former not so much.

Thank you all for your advice and knowledge, I appreciate it.

I've decided to wait till I buy one, wait until my job situation gets better.  I found one that was 90,000 miles, which isn't bad at all. But If I find others for lower miles for a good price I will diffidently look at them.

Thanks again.

Good luck, man!

By the way, I'm at 96,000 miles.  I have no intention of getting rid of it unless it gets taken or totaled.

Went past 214 a few days ago..  They will last a long time with care..  And normal maintanence upkeep like brakes changing the fluids, lots of TLC on the cladding.
Major things for me brakes including the rotors, front bearings, front shocks, 2 window regulators, several sets of tires, did have an issue with the rear end at about 75k but the dealership covered 75% of the cost. Power steering, and water pump, along with the alternator. And of course plugs and wires.. 

Once you get one will will wonder why you didnt do it quicker.. 

Hugz said:
Power steering, and water pump, along with the alternator.
Just out of curiosity - when did your power steering, water pump and alternator quit?

I'm heading into the 100K realm and am thinking of these. I already replaced my plugs and wires just to be safe, so I'm good there for awhile.

Car_lover25
Keep an eye out here on the sit in the For Sale, there has been some sweet deals.
There has been a couple I would sell my Avy to get, but the boss :beating: you just put all that stuff on. here it comes again  :beating:

Hello guys,

Im new to the forums but not new to long lasting vehicles. I myself have a 2002 Ava with 270k miles and with proper interval maintenance only replaced the waterpump. Other than that shes solid as a rock as Chevrolet stated.

I bought my 2002 new in September 2001.  It turned 100,000 miles in August 2007.  If I had bought it new when it turned 100,000 miles I would be pleased that I have traveled another 50,000 miles without much problem.  My biggest problem is keeping the battery fully charged when I don't drive it everyday.  Around here the batteries are not much good after 2 years and parking it more than a few days results in a jump start.  Of course rotating through 4 cars to keep them all running is difficult for only 2 drivers.  My wife likes her Dale Earnhardt Monte Carlo and getting her to drive the others isn't very common.  :B:

In short, if it was well taken care of you should be pleased with the longevity.   (y)

Let me add this, If you are not readily capable of doing minor repairs or regular maintenance yourself you better have a very honest and dependable mechanic or what might be a $50.00 service may end up costing you thousands at the hands of a dishonest repair shop.

INresponse said:
I bought my 2002 new in September 2001.  It turned 100,000 miles in August 2007.  If I had bought it new when it turned 100,000 miles I would be pleased that I have traveled another 50,000 miles without much problem.  My biggest problem is keeping the battery fully charged when I don't drive it everyday.  Around here the batteries are not much good after 2 years and parking it more than a few days results in a jump start.  Of course rotating through 4 cars to keep them all running is difficult for only 2 drivers.  My wife likes her Dale Earnhardt Monte Carlo and getting her to drive the others isn't very common.  :B:

In short, if it was well taken care of you should be pleased with the longevity.   (y)

Let me add this, If you are not readily capable of doing minor repairs or regular maintenance yourself you better have a very honest and dependable mechanic or what might be a $50.00 service may end up costing you thousands at the hands of a dishonest repair shop.

Batteries.....try an Optima or an Oydessy. The Optima Red Top that's been in my '99 Honda Accord V6 "keeper" since year four just load tested within new resistance specs and at 100% capacity. 2008 Av will be getting an Odyssey now that they make a Group 48 before the onset of cold this year. I give flooded, OEM batteries four years max before replacement as a preemptive strike.....a rigid policy for well over 20 years.

Unless I cave and buy a 2013 in a couple of years as the Av goes out of production, my 2008 will also become a permanent fixture. Last option seems the most likely as Av as a family niche vehicle for bad winter weather and vacation hauler doesn't get that many miles....25K+ at the moment which will grow to about 31K by the end of July.  Wife's and my personal coupes take the hit for day-to-day use and mileage.

Back