• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Drivers power window not working

stingray69

SM 2021
My Driver's Power Window is stuck closed and will not open. I've extensively searched the boards for an answer, but can't find one. Here's what Ive done so far: I turned the lights on and operated the switch; I see the lights dim very slightly, and the volt meter drops a hair. I tested for voltage at the wires connected to the motor and found 11.57 volts when I operated the switch. Assuming the switch is good, I changed the motor and regulator. BTW, the old regulator looked good, no frayed or broken cables.

The window still will not work.

I began playing around with the plugs on the back of the switch assembly. There are 5 or so plugs on this switch, and when I removed them all, and then only plugged in a few the window worked. Then I put them all in and the window would not work. I pulled a few more out, got the window to work, plugged in the rest, the window continued to work. So, I reassembled the door panel, and guess what? Right, it stopped working. It's got either a short or a problem with the Drivers Door Module (DDM), Does anyone know where the DDM is located, and is it possible this is the problem?

Thanks for any help you can give,
AL.

The DDM is the switch assembly.

Is there a way to test the DDM before I replace it? They're not available from auto parts stores, so I'll have to back to the dealer, and it's probably an expensive part. There's a used one on Ebay for $130.

One more symptom, the driver window was raising and lowering much slower than the other windows before it stopped working. It would work even slower with the engine off. The regulator and cable were in good condition when I replaced the regulator assembly. I'm pretty sure it wasn't binding.

The new regulator assembly has a motor. It's all new but doesn't work. However when I disconnected all of the plugs on the back of the DDM, then reconnected some of them, but not all, the window worked. Then I reconnected the rest , and it stopped working.

Before buying any parts, I would check for an intermittent break in the wiring going from the switch to the motor. Hook a continuity tester up to the connectors at each end and move the wire around to see if the tester stops. Make sure you flex all parts of the wire, especially near the connectors.

I'm leaning towards this as the problem since:

1. Window wouldn't work but then you removed the door panel, you got voltage at the motor (wires were moved to do this).
2. You plugged it back in but left others unplugged and it worked. You then plugged in some and it stopped working (again wires were being moved around and flexed at the connectors)
3. You unplugged them all and then plugged them back in and it worked (again wires were being moved around and flexed at the connectors)
4. You re-assembled the door and it quit working (yup, you guessed it, you had to move and flex wires to do that)

Stingray,

Was wondering what the outcome was for you power window issues. Yes...as you might have guessed I'm in the same boat. Seems like this is a noticeable trend issue with the 1st edition Avs -- I digress...

Here's where I am: My passenger side window is stuck in the up position. I have taken out the regulator/ and attached motor and it looks fine. Cables - no obvious defect or deterioration. I went ahead and replaced the motor thinking that must be the issue. I reconnected the regulator and power switch, but no movement from the motor.
I can hear a clicking when I activate the window switch at the driver's control and passenger. I'm just out of ideas.
I haven't tested the wires with a voltmeter yet... I guess officially after that I'm out of ideas.

Looking for some help or divine intervention at this point.

Hi, this has one busy and HOT summer, so I haven't worked on the window since my last post. My AC's been working overtime. I'll probably get to it in a week or two, and I'll let you now then.

Hey Guys, Have you figured out what is wrong with the Window? My Driver Window Quit working.. And my other windows are becoming very slow.. Just need to know what to do!!! Thanks!

One of my other windows, right rear, is also very slow, and wouldn't go up this weekend. I had my son push up on the glass from the outside while held the button, and it went up. Unfortunately, I hit a deer this morning going to work, and now my Av is in the body shop. I won't be able to look at it for a another couple of weeks.

I was able to solve my issue with the Passenger pwr window. >:D Here's how:
I'll cut right to the chase, it was not the motor or the regulator. It was a dead pass. switch. That I why I (like others have mentioned) would hear clicking when I tried to lower the window with the drivers' side control switch. In my mind, u need that pass. switch to function in order to complete the circuit. Bad switch = no power to motor.
I think those who have similar probs (as described above) will find this to be the solution.
That said--since I had the door apart- I went ahead and replaced the regulator w/motor along with switch. Trust me it was the switch, I just figured a whole new pwr window assembly was worth it.
Switch - $65
Reg w/motor- $49
Not have to pay someone else to fix it--- u know it--- priceless!

One more tip-- YouTube has some nice vids to help with door dismantle. I basically had my laptop with me throughout the process for reference.

I went ahead a put a whole sound system in-  new receiver and speakers all 4, on top of fixing the window.

6.5" speakers throughout. I am pretty impressed with the $47 (270watt) Xplod Sony speakers you can buy at Walmart. The sound system rocks. IMO. Not trying to brag, just very satisfied with the results of my labor.

Haha nice! I need to put new speakers in sometime in the future too.. Glad you figured out that problem, i am going to give it a try! Where did you find the switch at for $65? I have been looking with no luck.. I need to get this figured out.. I have been letting the little things pile up and now i have to do about 6 different things to the poor Av!

Amazon. I mean what can't you buy on Amazon? If it's legal--you can buy it there. If it's not legal--then there's craigslist.

Hey Deltadaddyt... I have been searching for "04 Avalanche Drivers Window Switch" and its only coming up with Regulators and Motors.. Could you send me a link for the part? Thanks!

It is a PDM Passenger Door Module

Opps you are looking for the drivers door it is a DDM Drivers Door Module.

But I would check the fuse first.

abrisson said:
Hey Deltadaddyt... I have been searching for "04 Avalanche Drivers Window Switch" and its only coming up with Regulators and Motors.. Could you send me a link for the part? Thanks!
Hey abrisson....I couldn't find them on Amazon either but check at this location on e-bay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Switches-Controls-/50459/i.html

Just insert the proper search criteria for the year of your vehicle and which window you are looking for into the proper space at the top and then start scrolling through the results.  I found lots of stuff including a new regulator and power window motor for the front right passenger side door for $37.95 shipped to my door!  Not bad!  Got this after I found out my switch was okay and it was the motor that was shot!  Good luck!

Back