Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
04/19/14 04:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XM Satellite questions.  (Read 2854 times)
Mikes_Avalanche

Awards
« on: 05/24/11 02:03 AM »

Hello everyone,

Just joined today and bought my first Avalanche (2008) this past Saturday.  The only questions I have so far are relating to the the XM Satellite.

First off, is it true that all 2008 Avalanche's came standard with XM Satellite installed?  It's my understanding that I can get a free trial period of XM Satellite however I'm unable to get to the radio ID on Channel 0.  Whenever I press the Band button the only choices I have are AM and FM.  When I press the CAT button, I get a message saying "XM Function only"

If all 2008's came standard with XM then is the satellite antenna separate from the OnStar antenna or or they both intigrated into one, because I don't have a separate Satellite antenna anywhere on the roof.

I'm really enjoying the truck so far, coming from a 2004 Hummer H2 I'm also enjoying the increase in fuel economy too! 

Any help I can get with setting up the XM Satellite would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
GoNavy429

08' LS

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 05/24/11 02:46 AM »

First welcome to CAFCNA and congrats on the AV

Look in your glove box on the door will be a sticker that list 3 letter RPO codes for every thing on your vehicle.  U2K is XM Sat. radio

Here is a link to all the codes for 2007 and up, you can check to see what your AV came with...
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,96887.msg1536768.html#msg1536768

2008 Deep Ruby Metallic Avalanche LS, 5.3L non-flex fuel Vortec V8, Custom Cloth 40/20/40, On Star, XM Radio Six CD changer, Remote Start, Tow package
Mikes_Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 05/24/11 01:36 PM »

First welcome to CAFCNA and congrats on the AV

Look in your glove box on the door will be a sticker that list 3 letter RPO codes for every thing on your vehicle.  U2K is XM Sat. radio

Here is a link to all the codes for 2007 and up, you can check to see what your AV came with...
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,96887.msg1536768.html#msg1536768

Nope no U2K.  I guess I misunderstood that XM was standard on all 2008 Avalanches.  I'll have to have a talk with the dealer, the truck was advertised as having XM Satellite radio in it.  Why is it then that in the list it says that XM was standard on the 2008s?

Mike
« Last Edit: 05/24/11 01:44 PM by Mikes_Avalanche » Logged
GoNavy429

08' LS

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 05/24/11 02:28 PM »

Very odd, I have never heard of one not having Sat radio.  The standard is am/fm/cd/mp3 and XM satellite player, the option basically bumps it to six cd instead of single or to the bose system.  I have a 2008 LS it came with the premium sound system (one step below bose) and the six cd it has AM/FM/MP3 and XM sat. as well.   I have one shark fin on the roof drivers side, the OnStar ant is in the headliner (not visible), and the AM/FM ant on the passenger side (use too have did a mod to get rid of that one).  Maybe someone swapped out the radio, does it look like the stock radio (pic below).   Possible that it may need to be programed, I have never not had a subscription since I have had the AV, bought it new, so have no idea if the band select drops the option with no XM subscription or not... let us know.

2008 Deep Ruby Metallic Avalanche LS, 5.3L non-flex fuel Vortec V8, Custom Cloth 40/20/40, On Star, XM Radio Six CD changer, Remote Start, Tow package
Mikes_Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 05/24/11 02:37 PM »

Very odd, I have never heard of one not having Sat radio.  The standard is am/fm/cd/mp3 and XM satellite player, the option basically bumps it to six cd instead of single or to the bose system.  I have a 2008 LS it came with the premium sound system (one step below bose) and the six cd it has AM/FM/MP3 and XM sat. as well.   I have one shark fin on the roof drivers side, the OnStar ant is in the headliner (not visible), and the AM/FM ant on the passenger side (use too have did a mod to get rid of that one).  Maybe someone swapped out the radio, does it look like the stock radio (pic below).   Possible that it may need to be programed, I have never not had a subscription since I have had the AV, bought it new, so have no idea if the band select drops the option with no XM subscription or not... let us know.

Yes the radio you have posted is the same as the one in my truck, and I have the "shark fin" antenna on the roof, I thought that was the OnStar antenna.  There must be something that is either not programmed right or something not working.  I'm not sure what the next step should be, or if XM will be able to help me out if I give them a call.

Mike
GoNavy429

08' LS

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 05/24/11 03:01 PM »

I would give them a call, might just be with no subscription the radio just removes the option.  But if you have that radio it is XM ready.  Shark fin and the cat button pretty much confirms XM sat ready.  lol...wouldn't  say it was an xm function when you hit cat if you didn't have XM....Not having the U2k RPO might be for the free 3 month thing.  Don't know for sure. I have a vehicle Info sheet on my AV listing the RPO codes here it what the radio section says

UK3 - STEERING WHEEL RADIO CONTROLS  
UQ3 - ENHANCED AUDIO SPEAKERS  
US9 - AM/FM STEREO W/MP3 FORMAT COMPATIBLE 6-DISC CD CHANGER (REPLACES STD/OPT RADIO)  
U2K - XM SATELLITE RADIO - SERVICE FEE EXTRA. 1ST 3 MONTHS INCL.  

This sheets has the same RPO codes as the glove box sticker, but with the descriptions.

Also did you see this thread, might be of more help
http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,116946.0.html
« Last Edit: 05/24/11 03:04 PM by GoNavy429 » Logged

Mikes_Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 05/24/11 03:05 PM »

I would give them a call, might just be with no subscription the radio just removes the option.  But if you have that radio it is XM ready.  Shark fin and the cat button pretty much confirms XM sat ready.  lol...wouldn't  say it was an xm function when you hit cat if you didn't have XM....Not having the U2k RPO might be for the free 3 month thing.  Don't know for sure. I have a vehicle Info sheet on my AV listing the RPO codes here it what the radio section says

UK3 - STEERING WHEEL RADIO CONTROLS 
UQ3 - ENHANCED AUDIO SPEAKERS 
US9 - AM/FM STEREO W/MP3 FORMAT COMPATIBLE 6-DISC CD CHANGER (REPLACES STD/OPT RADIO) 
U2K - XM SATELLITE RADIO - SERVICE FEE EXTRA. 1ST 3 MONTHS INCL. 

This sheets has the same RPO codes as the glove box sticker, but with the descriptions.

Thanks for all the replies.  Working 12 hour shifts I'll wait until my first day off on Thursday and give XM a call.  I hope I can get this figured out as I'd love to get the XM working.

Mike
Reidan

Hi-Tek Redneck finally got his AV!

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 05/25/11 01:45 PM »

I wonder if a previous owner had an after market radio installed at one time. And then removed it when they traded it in. And in doing that either left out the XM module, or may have just left it unplugged.
« Last Edit: 05/25/11 01:50 PM by Reidan » Logged

On 2-15-03 I took delivery of a 2003 Z66 1500, Pewter Metallic & Tan Sport Leather, Nicely loaded.

So far I am a Lite Duty Modder compared to some of you Modders.  My MOD's are:
American Flag Bow Tie.  Bumper Flag (Flown on special occasions).  Window Vent Shades.  Amber DRL's.  American Flag Avalanche Logo on Tailgate Cladding.  Mid-Deck.

Future Mod's.  Bed Slide.  Bug Shield.  Rear Tow Hitch Step.
Mikes_Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 05/25/11 02:30 PM »

Is the XM Module not built into the radio pictured above?  If not where is it located and I can check to see if it's even there.

Mike
old skool

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 05/25/11 02:48 PM »

On the 2007 it is under the dash next to glove box.

Black 07 LS, Ambers, 24 inch U2-55S wheels with 305/35/24 Falken tires, TREX sports mesh grille, Chrome door handles, mirror covers and, tailgate bezel, Flowmaster 50 muffler, Billet front and rear bowtie, caliper covers, Line of fire lights, 35 watt 8K HID lows, 25 watt 8k HID fogs, K&N CAI, Pioneer HU, Kenwood 500 Watt Amp, Polk Audio Speakers, Pyle 10 inch powered sub, Boyo license plate mount back up camera, Lund bug shield, 2 in Belltech lowering springs.
Mikes_Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #10 on: 05/26/11 12:56 AM »

On the 2007 it is under the dash next to glove box.

Well I dropped down the glovebox and took a look and don't see anything up there that looks like it might be the XM box. (although I'm not quite sure what it looks like, I did take a picture but I don't know how to attach the image here)

It's looking more and more like either the truck was ordered without it or it has been removed.

Mike
MS03 2500
CAFCNA 2013 Premium Member

Awards
« Reply #11 on: 05/26/11 04:06 AM »

XM 2007
Mikes_Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #12 on: 05/26/11 04:09 AM »

XM 2007

Thanks for the picture.  The 2008 looks the same?

Mike
MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #13 on: 05/26/11 04:11 AM »

Yes
Mikes_Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #14 on: 05/26/11 04:37 AM »

Yes

Well after looking under the dash, behind the glove box (in the pouring rain I might add) I can't find anything in there that looks like this picture.  If XM was standard on the 2008 and the accessory sticker in the glovebox doesn't show the code for it, then this must be one of the rare 2008 that were special ordered without it.  I don't even see the wires that would plug into the unit if it was there.  Such is my luck.

Mike
Mikes_Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #15 on: 05/26/11 05:23 AM »

Well just got off the phone with GM.  They ran the VIN and this truck never had satellite in it.  They even said XM Satellite wasn't standard on the 2008, even though everything i have read said it was.  Well, is there any aftermarket products anybody can suggest that would work well to get XM in the truck?

Mike
MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #16 on: 05/26/11 05:27 AM »

You beat me to it, XM was not standard in the 08. However there is a kit GM sells to add it.
old skool

Awards
« Reply #17 on: 05/26/11 03:01 PM »

You can always go to the XM website and see what they have available to put in your truck.

Black 07 LS, Ambers, 24 inch U2-55S wheels with 305/35/24 Falken tires, TREX sports mesh grille, Chrome door handles, mirror covers and, tailgate bezel, Flowmaster 50 muffler, Billet front and rear bowtie, caliper covers, Line of fire lights, 35 watt 8K HID lows, 25 watt 8k HID fogs, K&N CAI, Pioneer HU, Kenwood 500 Watt Amp, Polk Audio Speakers, Pyle 10 inch powered sub, Boyo license plate mount back up camera, Lund bug shield, 2 in Belltech lowering springs.
MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #18 on: 05/26/11 03:05 PM »

True they have a new system all in the rear view mirror 600 bucks. It will be out this summer at bestbuy.
dman
CAFCNA 2011 Supporting Member

I love my rare beast!!

Awards
« Reply #19 on: 05/26/11 10:18 PM »

Any UNactivated xm radios are ACTIVE for the weekend, not sure about Sirius, give it a shot Thumbs up!

2003, 2 wd, 2500, 8.1, 4:10's  YELLOW, Zaino,  20" MB Motoring v-drive rims, Hankook Ventus 295/45/20 tires, Edelbrock Ceramic headers, Orange TPMS, 2" rear wheel spacers, Xtreme floor mats, Volant, Predator, AV bug guard, Garmin Nuvi 660, On-star, XM, Homemade bedslide, Sportwing spoiler, Hood scoops,  Bose RSE,DVD. Full power, heated butt warmers, under rear seat sub with 2 Audiobahn 10" woofers, Magnaflow S.S. catback exhaust, Viper 2-way remote start alarm. Train horns, Riverboat whistle.Dual batteries.
Mikes_Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #20 on: 05/27/11 01:25 AM »

I actually activated the 14 day free trial on my Blackberry.  Add that to my FM transmitter and I've now got XM in my truck.  After the 14 day trial it's $7.95/month so not a bad deal at all and I can take XM with me.

Mike
Wazbro

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #21 on: 05/27/11 02:27 PM »

True they have a new system all in the rear view mirror 600 bucks. It will be out this summer at bestbuy.

That's onstar.

2008 AV 6.0L LT3 Autoride Blue Granite Metallic
MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #22 on: 05/28/11 01:16 AM »

That's onstar.

That is sure, XM is under the dash with their kit
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: