Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
04/23/14 12:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: heads vs supercharger  (Read 1397 times)
ms38w

I AM the Scorpion

WWW Awards
« on: 05/08/11 09:29 AM »

The heads on my 6.7L LS2 were ported/polished for maximum flow...claimed to be better than ZR1 Corvette (can't back that up though). The motor was originaly built for forced induction, so the compression ratio was kept a bit low to accomodate that.  I no longer have those turbos ( insert comment here  banghead  ) and had planned on going with a twin-screw supercharger, but I am toying with the idea of  staying N/A.  If I stay N/A, I will likely want to up the compression to squeeze some horses out of it.  I need to keep final cost and involvement in mind, so I'd like some QUALIFIED opinions here.  dollar for dollar and HP for HP and all that good stuff, would I be better off changing my heads or just going with the SC?  Please include your argument to back up what you say, not just your opinion or personal preferrence.

Thanks...

'02 1500 Z71, with a few mods...
408 Stroker, H2 rear end, 6-speed manual,side pipes, shorty headers,8-lug wheels, 1-ton T-case, custom drive shafts.
avalonandl

Pulling 11,000 lbs and Lovin' it

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 05/10/11 01:45 AM »

MS38w- You have several things to m. This is a 6000lb truck not a 3300 lb corvette. So you need low end TORQUE. The supercharger will give you that- upping compression means you will probably end up with a higher rpm torque curve and that is not what you want. A low boost (4-5 psi) system will give you the torque. You will have to go custom tune but you know that. Ther may be used maggies out there that is what I would recommend.

Avalon

2004- Sport Red 2500, w/ 4.10 axle and stump pulling torque! Flowmaster BB50 w/ oval tips out each side. Xenon lights, Firestone Airbags, amber DRL's. Hypertech tuned for regular fuel. 180  T-stat.
ms38w

I AM the Scorpion

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: 05/10/11 08:06 AM »

Thanks, I was thinking along those same lines.  When I had the motor built, I specified that low end tq was more important than hi end HP.  Makes sense about not upping the compression then.  The only problem with a maggie is that they don't make them big enough.  I am at 6.7L on the motor and the maggie is only good to 5.7...6.0 is really pushing the envelope.  I was trying to stay away from a $7000 unit. I was wondering about the heads, and getting more tq.  I am running short headers for the tq.  I have been having issues with the custom tune.  It really needs to get on a dyno, as the email tunes can only get you so far.  Allen has been very patient with me and I appreciate all he has done...but it's time for the next step I think.  I have HPTuners, but it's not really user friendly and if you don't know what to look for or change, it is useless.  Real world dyno results are the most reliable.

'02 1500 Z71, with a few mods...
408 Stroker, H2 rear end, 6-speed manual,side pipes, shorty headers,8-lug wheels, 1-ton T-case, custom drive shafts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: