• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Broken exterior door handles

cfave

I have done a search on this and found a lot of complaints about the handles breaking and a lot of people complaining how easy it is to break them but my question is, I found that most, if not all, of the handles breaking were the chorme ones.

Do others have this issue with different colored handles? Also has anyone found a replacement handle that does not break, or not as easily??

Thanks
Cfave

I really have not seen a lot of posts about broken door handle, but I have seem them about tailgates handles.

I replace my right rear chrome handle that my 6 yo grand daughter broke, Dealer had a replacement to the tune of $120.00.  It did look like a cheap product when I looked at it.

The front passenger door on mine had a broken screw in the handle and was loose.  It wasn't obvious (you could see it, but if you weren't paying attention, you could open the door without noticing) but I had it replaced.  Found out all 4 handles had previously been replaced.  These are the chrome ones.  Cost me $170 to replace (including labor, I didn't want to spend the time taking the door apart).

Just had one break yesterday!! Guess what they had them in stock at dealer!! Whats that tell ya!!! COMMON ISSUE

I had two fixed by GM in June.  I now have another two broken.  I called back to the Customer Assistance Center and they are "elevating" my request the the regional rep.

I think this is a recurring problem and I suggest everyone that has it should call the CAC and make a stink about it!

I have had all of my door handles on my 07 LTZ replaced twice.  I fully expect the problem will continue.

JPK

Have an 08 and all 4 chrome handles broke.  Dealer told me they were seeing a lot of these defective.  Replaced all under warranty

3 of 4 now broken on my 08. Mine are chrome - was that a factory option or is an aftermarket replacement / overlay? Anyway, dealer quoted $800 to replace all 4. Needless to say they are still broken.

Both of my driver's side handles are broken on my 07. Mine are chrome. They still function so no hurry to fix them yet.

Had the same issue with my 2008 (chrome handles).  It wasn't so much the door handles breaking is was that the fasteners holding the handles to the door would pull loose.  Chevy replaced all 4 and they still were an issue.  Traded the 08 in on a 12 last week, hope I don't have the same issue. 

Poor engineering on the fasteners imo, or a purchasing manager going cheap.

Had the same issue with my right rear handle. Chrome - cast plastic - poor engineering  (n) . If the mount for the stud was a little thicker it probably would not break. Epoxied the cracked stud mount and put it back together.

Just had one of mine break :( Did GM ever address this issue ?

I had all four replaced on my 09 Avalanche by the dealer, cover by the extended warrenty, this was Jan 2012 and now just discovered Saturday (3-16-13), the driver's door is again broken.

Dealer said replacement parts are only covered for 12 months or 12,000 miles which ever comes first, why?

Does anyone know how to take the interior door panel off without distroying it?
Need  Help!,
Iank

I just replaced my driver door handle this week.  There was a video on YouTube that explained/showed how to remove the door panel.  It was actually a video to replace a door lock solenoid, but was very good at for how to remove the panel and showing the locations of all the hidded bolts you need to remove before popping of the panel.

As far as the handle itself, it was pretty self explainatory.  There are plastic clips that connect the linkages.  You'll have to remove the door latch linkage first, and the clip for it is down low near the door latch.  After doing so, there will still be a long piece of linkage attached to the handle that will need to be removed after you take the handle off the truck.  After you've undone the latch linkage, remove the two handle bolts (10mm) and then carefully pull/wiggle the handle away from the door.  You may need to operate it a bit to get the linkage to clear.  Once you get it pulled away about an inch, you'll see and have access to a red plastic clip that holds the door lock linkage.  A flat bit will easily release it, then your home free. 

I bought my new handle off of ebay for $25 shipped.  Took me about an hour to replace. 

bought my 08 LTZ new and ~ 1 yr of little use, all 4 chrome handles busted loose.  replaced under warranty.  A truck with cheap handles--really GM?

Three of the four chrome handles on my 07 broke. I went with the Dorman matte black handles from Rock Auto. These are a lot tougher and blend well with the roof halo and side compartment doors.

Not relevant to the post, but my 03 cladded, non chrome, door handles stuck when it was icy and frozen the other day.  I sprayed deicer all over it and the mechanism and it hasn't stuck since.  :)

Back