Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
09/23/14 11:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Broken exterior door handles  (Read 4812 times)
cfave

Black 08 LTZ 5.3

Awards
« on: 05/06/11 12:43 PM »

I have done a search on this and found a lot of complaints about the handles breaking and a lot of people complaining how easy it is to break them but my question is, I found that most, if not all, of the handles breaking were the chorme ones.

Do others have this issue with different colored handles? Also has anyone found a replacement handle that does not break, or not as easily??

Thanks
Cfave
cfave

Black 08 LTZ 5.3

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 05/07/11 07:03 PM »

common problem..............no answers???
MS03 2500
CAFCNA 2014 Supporting Member

We shall never forget.

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 05/08/11 03:09 AM »

I really have not seen a lot of posts about broken door handle, but I have seem them about tailgates handles.

2003 2500
finnishkid

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 06/16/11 03:26 PM »

my chrome handles were barely peeling and they replaced them under warranty.
Tpicks55
CAFCNA 2011 Supporting Member

2013 Black Diamond Topaz Blue LTZ

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 06/24/11 02:45 AM »

I replace my right rear chrome handle that my 6 yo grand daughter broke, Dealer had a replacement to the tune of $120.00.  It did look like a cheap product when I looked at it.

2007 White LTZ bought with 40000 sold with 140000.
2013 Blue Topaz LTZ  I'm loving it!
MountaineerMojo

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 06/30/11 12:36 AM »

The front passenger door on mine had a broken screw in the handle and was loose.  It wasn't obvious (you could see it, but if you weren't paying attention, you could open the door without noticing) but I had it replaced.  Found out all 4 handles had previously been replaced.  These are the chrome ones.  Cost me $170 to replace (including labor, I didn't want to spend the time taking the door apart).

'08 LTZ, dark blue metallic
coolkc

08 Big Blue Granite!

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 07/24/11 02:03 AM »

Just had one break yesterday!! Guess what they had them in stock at dealer!! Whats that tell ya!!! COMMON ISSUE

9/27/07  08 Blue Granite LTZ/ 6.0 liter with GTO emblem/4.10 Gears/Super Duty Trans with Extra Cooling/Amber's/GMPP Cold Air Kit/GM Chrome Tow Hooks/GM Chrome Exhaust Tip/GM Chrome Fuel Door/Weathertech Floorliners F+R/Color Matched Weathertech In-Channel Visors/Z71 Skid Plate Package/LTZ Chrome Console Emblem/Denali Body Side Mouldings/DiabloSportTuner with Custom SLP Tuning/Police Pursuit Wiper Arms+Blades.
jpkherd

Fast cars and fast women!

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 10/10/11 05:00 AM »

I had two fixed by GM in June.  I now have another two broken.  I called back to the Customer Assistance Center and they are "elevating" my request the the regional rep.

I think this is a recurring problem and I suggest everyone that has it should call the CAC and make a stink about it!

I have had all of my door handles on my 07 LTZ replaced twice.  I fully expect the problem will continue.

JPK

07 Avalanche LTZ-Black
97 C5 Corvette-Black
95 Impala SS-Black

I kind of have a thing for black chevys!
seancarsonallen

More HP Makes Me Smile

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 10/16/11 08:07 AM »

Have an 08 and all 4 chrome handles broke.  Dealer told me they were seeing a lot of these defective.  Replaced all under warranty

No Whining, oinking acceptable
zorven

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 10/24/11 07:59 AM »

3 of 4 now broken on my 08. Mine are chrome - was that a factory option or is an aftermarket replacement / overlay? Anyway, dealer quoted $800 to replace all 4. Needless to say they are still broken.

2008 LTZ, Blue Granite Metallic
CHEQ6

2007 LTZ 4x4; 6.0L

Awards
« Reply #10 on: 10/31/11 03:05 AM »

Both of my driver's side handles are broken on my 07. Mine are chrome. They still function so no hurry to fix them yet.
coolkc

08 Big Blue Granite!

Awards
« Reply #11 on: 10/31/11 06:58 AM »

Go to pep boys and order dorman replacement handles!!! They fixed the issue and are direct replacement!

9/27/07  08 Blue Granite LTZ/ 6.0 liter with GTO emblem/4.10 Gears/Super Duty Trans with Extra Cooling/Amber's/GMPP Cold Air Kit/GM Chrome Tow Hooks/GM Chrome Exhaust Tip/GM Chrome Fuel Door/Weathertech Floorliners F+R/Color Matched Weathertech In-Channel Visors/Z71 Skid Plate Package/LTZ Chrome Console Emblem/Denali Body Side Mouldings/DiabloSportTuner with Custom SLP Tuning/Police Pursuit Wiper Arms+Blades.
AMERICAL7071

GM Family First

Awards
« Reply #12 on: 11/21/11 03:47 AM »

Had the same issue with my 2008 (chrome handles).  It wasn't so much the door handles breaking is was that the fasteners holding the handles to the door would pull loose.  Chevy replaced all 4 and they still were an issue.  Traded the 08 in on a 12 last week, hope I don't have the same issue. 

Poor engineering on the fasteners imo, or a purchasing manager going cheap.

2004 Victory Red z66 - Sold

2008  Black LTZ - Sold

2012 White Diamond LTZ - NO retractable stairs or kitchen sink.
bzktm8

Awards
« Reply #13 on: 02/23/12 11:01 AM »

Had the same issue with my right rear handle. Chrome - cast plastic - poor engineering  Thumbs down . If the mount for the stud was a little thicker it probably would not break. Epoxied the cracked stud mount and put it back together.
BCS

I love the Chevy Avalanche!

Awards
« Reply #14 on: 11/12/12 09:12 AM »

Just had one of mine break Sad Did GM ever address this issue ?
IanK

2009 Avalanche LTZ

Awards
« Reply #15 on: 03/19/13 08:13 AM »

I had all four replaced on my 09 Avalanche by the dealer, cover by the extended warrenty, this was Jan 2012 and now just discovered Saturday (3-16-13), the driver's door is again broken.

Dealer said replacement parts are only covered for 12 months or 12,000 miles which ever comes first, why?

Does anyone know how to take the interior door panel off without distroying it?
Need  Help!,
Iank
Boone

'03 LT WBH

Awards
« Reply #16 on: 05/30/13 10:58 AM »

I just replaced my driver door handle this week.  There was a video on YouTube that explained/showed how to remove the door panel.  It was actually a video to replace a door lock solenoid, but was very good at for how to remove the panel and showing the locations of all the hidded bolts you need to remove before popping of the panel.

As far as the handle itself, it was pretty self explainatory.  There are plastic clips that connect the linkages.  You'll have to remove the door latch linkage first, and the clip for it is down low near the door latch.  After doing so, there will still be a long piece of linkage attached to the handle that will need to be removed after you take the handle off the truck.  After you've undone the latch linkage, remove the two handle bolts (10mm) and then carefully pull/wiggle the handle away from the door.  You may need to operate it a bit to get the linkage to clear.  Once you get it pulled away about an inch, you'll see and have access to a red plastic clip that holds the door lock linkage.  A flat bit will easily release it, then your home free. 

I bought my new handle off of ebay for $25 shipped.  Took me about an hour to replace. 

It began as a bone stock 2003 Black Z-71 LT WBH.  Thanks to this site, it now has:

K&N Drop In, Carraige Works polished bolt over, AVS Bugflector II, Mag-Lite Holder, chrome decals, amber DRL's, Flowmaster 50 SUV, dual 4" SS Magnaflow tips, full tint; SS front bumper, 20" Boss 311's w/ Hankook Ventus ST's
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: