• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

What's the loudest Flowmaster muffler?

03Avalanche2500

PM 2012
I'm thinking about taking the 70 Big Block muffler off to put true duals on, which Flowmaster muffler is the loudest and would sound the best on my 2500?

the original 40, super 40, and super 44 are the aggressive sounding mufflers that I'm looking at. i don't know which to go with when i get duals though.  some say the original 40's, others say super 40's, and some others agree with you and say super 44.  i want my truck to have a deep, big block sound, though I want it louder that the 70 Big Block muffler.  it's dual in and dual out, and it has a nice, deep tone, but quiet.  i can't even hear it at idle unless i'm at the back of the truck.

Whichever you use you want to go with 2 mufflers single in single out on the 2500.

MS03 2500 said:
Whichever you use you want to go with 2 mufflers single in single out on the 2500.

oh yeah, of couse lol.  I just haven't decided which one to go with.  youtube videos just don't help out enough :beating:

How about the ones at their website

PS if you really want loud Cherry Bombs it will sound like a race car.

on flowmaster? it doesn't really say much.  i looked on there a couple days ago to try and research a little, not really any luck.  the original 40's say that if you want to hear the exhaust inside the truck as well, i guess meaning because they are so loud, then go with them.  the super 40's and super 44's don't really say anything other than aggressive sound just like the original 40's.  and just to make sure one last time, cutting my pipes all the way to the muffler and throwing downturns won't make it louder?? i'm pretty sure it would.  i know it did with the 69 Camaro i have original 40's on it.  I put air shocks on the back and had to cut the pipes, it sounded way better and louder than it did before.  I still think putting true duals would sound better for my truck than just cutting pipes though, may even helping it flow better.

I had cherry bombs before, I hate the sound lol.. which those were on the Camaro as well, I took them off and put those 40's on and it sounded way better and louder actually.  so i'd rather stick with the Flowmasters.  what would you think about true side exhaust, with chrome tips coming out the side in front of the rear tire instead of behind like I have now?

I have been in a 1500 with 40s it was not too loud.

yeah, well it can't possibly be too loud for me, i want it to be as loud as i can get it.  I have to pass inspections though haha.  do you know if an X pipe would help any with sound?

No I don't but think H pipe.

I honestly only heard of h pipes on mustangs and cars like those, i've read a couple forums where ppl have x pipes on their 8.1's and on youtube video where a guy put a x pipe with straight pipes.  i just haven't heard of a h pipe on the avy.

I not sure where you heard that but H pipe is the way to go. I'm a old guy and have no interest in loud but I have been in a few other members AVs.

I can only tell you from my experience.

well i never got any advice with the side exhaust lol.  I love the looks of it, and I think with the h pipe, dual 40's and side exhaust with chrome tips, it'll sound pretty nice.  do you have any thoughts on that?

i had a set of one chamber flow masters on my old tahoe and they were way louder than any other flow master muffler i have heard. they are about 12" long (not including the inlets and outlets). they do cost a little more but sound great.
heres a link

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/index.php?page=114

would these help with the big block sound, nice and deep, or do you think i'd be better off with just original 40's?  I want it to sound like a mean, big block truck and as loud as possible.  not so much as loud as possible and a higher pitched sound.

the one chambers are flow masters highest flow muffler (meaning they are the loudest). i haven't heard them on an 8.1 but on the 5.3 and 5.7 they sound very similar to just having straight pipes, a loud, deep rumble with a little flowmaster tone. you can adjust how deep the sound is by going bigger on the pipes

let me know how it turns out. when you talk to the muffler shop, ask them about "knock off" flow masters. usually the shop can get an off brand that sounds the same but are easier on the wallet. this is only if money will be an issue

Flowmaster single chamber 30 series is the loudest.  I was running a pair of them on my 1956 Belair with a 406 small block.  I just replaced them this year because I had to yell at the passanger for them to hear me.  Just as loud outside as in the car.  I was coming close to wearing ear plugs while driving.  The mufflers were single 3 inch in/out.

Just a word of advise, if this is a daily driver you may not want the loudest mufflers.  Or maybe I am just getting too old.

Good luck!

I've looked at this "topic line" several times and keep chuckling each time I see it, hahaha I would say the loudest one would be one with a hole knocked in it!

Sorry

Didit

silver_bullet said:
Flowmaster single chamber 30 series is the loudest.  I was running a pair of them on my 1956 Belair with a 406 small block.  I just replaced them this year because I had to yell at the passanger for them to hear me.  Just as loud outside as in the car.  I was coming close to wearing ear plugs while driving.  The mufflers were single 3 inch in/out.

Just a word of advise, if this is a daily driver you may not want the loudest mufflers.  Or maybe I am just getting too old.

Good luck!

Thanks for that input, I really like loud though.  I do want it to be extremely loud, but have a good sound too.  Just because it's loud doesn't mean it sounds good, and I want to have both.  I love Flowmaster, some don't, but in my opinion I think the flows sound better than the other mufflers.

If you use the 30 series single chamber, buy some ear plugs!  People will definitely hear you coming from blocks away.
The 30 series is loud and still has that flowmaster tone.  The Moroso spiral core mufflers I installed in my 1956 Belair are much quieter than the flowmasters.  They have a very, very deep tone.

Good Luck!

Back