• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

"Service Park Assist" message. Please help

BigMike07

I have a 2007 Avalanche and I took it to the car wash about 3 weeks ago.  Ever since I left the car wash the "Service Park Assist" message showed up on my DIC.  the message has still yet to go away.  Any suggestions?  I'm trying to fix the problem on my own, whether replacing the sensors or just making adjustments.

-Who can I go to to see which sensor is bad?  Where ever is free.  Free is for me.... (My Chevy dealership charges $100 off the bat just to check for a problem, I'd rather not take that option.)

Wow, thanks for posting this.  It just happened to me this week too when someone else took it through a car wash.  I will try the rubbing alcohol trick.

-ef

lol

Friday I took my '07 through a wash too and had problems !

When I got home I noticed that the far passanger side sensor was coming out of the bumper. I pushed it back in and still had issues Saturday morning, by Saturday afternoon it was working fine so I assume because of the powerful underwash spray maybe some water got into the connection, or somewhere it shouldnt have

Thank you for the feedback.  I will try the rubbing alcohol and let you know how things turn out.

Greatly appreciate it!

I found which sensor was bad by checking them at the control box. It is under the front passengers seat. Start running the seat to it's highest position and remove the trim covering the seat track. Remove the grey connector, check resistance between them. The gray and dark blue are paralleled to each sensor and the other four colors are what you are checking against. It would be really help full to have a wiring diagram of the park assist circuit for this.  One meter lead goes to either gray or dark blue, the other to each sensor. My right outside sensor read open so that is the one I replaced. Re assemble, start-up and the service message is gone.

HTH

Attachments

• Object Detection Schematic.pdf
    94.9 KB · Views: 52
BigMike07 said:
Rubbing alcohol and Q-tips were my answer.  Thanks again.  Working great.

glad you got it squared away..   like I said, the soap at the car washes seems to leave a film on them.

I have to say, these GM sensors are too damn sensitive, mine give an error in heavy rain, car washes, snow, etc..   in 6 years with my Chrysler I never had an issue with them, in any weather or any conditions..

these GM one are WAY too sensitive in my opinion..

old-chevy-dude said:
... these GM sensors are too damn sensitive, ....

don't you mean the system is too sensitive?

I mean the system takes the information from the sensors and decides what to do....

If sensors output changes over time to be more sensitive then I understand but form the get go the system is designed as it is...right?

ygmn said:
don't you mean the system is too sensitive?

I mean the system takes the information from the sensors and decides what to do....

If sensors output changes over time to be more sensitive then I understand but form the get go the system is designed as it is...right?
yes yes,...  the SYSTEM is too damn sensitive..    picky picky picky

old-chevy-dude said:
yes yes,...  the SYSTEM is too damn sensitive..    picky picky picky
nah I was wonder if they change over time.... then that would sux

ygmn said:
nah I was wonder if they change over time.... then that would sux

I don't know if it has changed or not..  we have them on my mom's 2003 Caddy, but I don't think they are OEM (car was bought second hand) and they aren't nearly as bad as they AVY's

seriously, in heavy rain driving on the highway - DIC pops up with park sense error..  I'm not even in reverse..
in snow, even if I brush them off before driving - DING ERROR.
after a car wash DING ERROR..

I would understand it if it happened in reverse, ok no problem, the irritation for me comes with the every 2 minute DING PARK SENSE ERROR on the DIC, forcing me to have to pull over and correct it otherwise every 2 minutes DING, DING, DING..

I don't understand why the system sends an error when I am in drive..  reverse fine.  but at 65mph on the highway I could care less if the park sense doesn't work. 

and yes the dealer has checked it out and says it is operating within normal parameters, even showed me the SM pages on it, this is how the system functions (at least for the 2010s), might be different for the 2007-2009 as they removed the lights above the rear window, so who knows what other changes they made..

Well "PARK ASSIST OFF"  and "SERVICE PARK ASSIST" in the DIC are two different things.  I haven't heard of "PARK ASSIST ERROR" yet, but I haven't had any time with a '10 or newer.  I can only assume that the message you are getting would be the same as "SERVICE PARK ASSIST" which would indicate that there is something wrong with the system.  If something is blocking one or more of the sensors, the "PARK ASSIST OFF" would be displayed.  In my experience, Rain, snow, car-washes, receiver hitch, and road grime, do not cause a problem.  A trailer, or the tailgate down will cause the "PARK ASSIST OFF" to be displayed in the DIC.  You may have a loose or corroded connection in the harness that connects the sensors, and your stopping to "correct" it may just be temporarily restoring the connection. 

I was having issues with this USPA because I have my bike rack mounted on the hitch and that's where it lives.  I was always annoyed that I had to clear the 'park assist blocked' message every time I started the truck.  I never had it come on repeatedly while in 'D' but the dealer said there was a software update that would only make the error message pop up once per drive cycle which would prevent the repeating error message some are experiencing.

The system check the USPA for obstructions while driving forward at over 40kmh which is why the error pops up while driving.  For me with the bike rack it's a pretty much useless feature since it's constantly saying it's blocked and I have to clear the message every time I start the vechicle.  It's kind of annyoting that there is no 'off' switch for this feature (especially for those who have hitches and bike racks mounted).

I did however come across a 'feature' of the '10 and '11 USPA systems.  If you pull the USPA fuse (#20) on the fuse panel on the left of the dash and then pull the IP fuse (sorry, do't remember what # but it's labelled) from the fuse box under the hood for several minutes and replace the IP fuse but NOT the USPA fuse on the next ignition cycle the IP will reset itself without the USPA and that damn annoying message every time I start my truck!  I have the backup camera and It's far more useful.

Cheers

So i am having the same issue with my sensors after using the local wash bay. I have tried cleaning the sensor with rubbing alcohol with no luck and I have also checked the resistance of the sensors. After testing the sensors, three of the four were good so I replaced the fourth but I still have the service park assist on my dash.

After replacing the sensor, the system did not automatically disable itself in drive, but after a couple seconds the error message came back.

Any thoughts of what else I should look at?

Jason

XSKIER said:
Well "PARK ASSIST OFF"  and "SERVICE PARK ASSIST" in the DIC are two different things.  I haven't heard of "PARK ASSIST ERROR" yet, but I haven't had any time with a '10 or newer.  I can only assume that the message you are getting would be the same as "SERVICE PARK ASSIST" which would indicate that there is something wrong with the system.  If something is blocking one or more of the sensors, the "PARK ASSIST OFF" would be displayed.  In my experience, Rain, snow, car-washes, receiver hitch, and road grime, do not cause a problem.  A trailer, or the tailgate down will cause the "PARK ASSIST OFF" to be displayed in the DIC.  You may have a loose or corroded connection in the harness that connects the sensors, and your stopping to "correct" it may just be temporarily restoring the connection. 

what it says on mine is "PARK ASSIST BLOCKED, SEE OWNERS MANUAL"

This has happened in snow = understandable
Heavy Rain = doesn't make sense
Extreme Heat = Makes ZERO sense.

this past weekend it was in the 90s here and the damn thing was dinging at me with that message every few minutes whenever the sun was to the rear of the vehicle. 

while I can accept that a harsh reflection might cause it, I don't give a rats behind to know about it while I am doing 65 on the highway.  If I was backing up, then yeah fine.. 
personally, while I think the feature is great and all, I was taught to turn my ass around while backing and to use my mirrors, the camera does more for me than the sensors personally..

After replacing my sensors I continued to get the Service Park Assist message.  Took it down to the dealership and they had to remove a code from my truck so that the sensors system could function again.

Just incase someone else is getting as frustrated as I was, simply replacing the sensors may not reset the system.

I just replaced a sensor and they still aren't working. I checked each sensor at the sensor and found one that was open and replaced it, all of my sensors are black except for one that is green. When I bought it the green sensor did not have the o ring on it, could that cause that sensor to go bad aswell? The sensor rang fine though. I put an o ring on the green sensor but the park assist is still not working when I put it in reverse I got one beep then got my message. That one beep is more than I had before. This whole park sensor thing is starting to get old!

Also the sensor that I bought says that it is compatible with my vehicle but I have read that the sensor has to be for the particular system. What is the difference between these sensors???????????? Don't they all do the same thing???????????

Can you have it scanned for codes?

The dealership is horribly off on their prices for replacing these sensors. I have had the service park assist message on my truck since I bought it. My check engine light came on recently so I took it in to get checked and they had to scan the sensor error code too.

They told me the driver's side outer sensor had a ground fault. To replace the sensor was going to be $300.  :E: They are retarded. Bought the sensor on ebay for $30 and you simply lay on the ground under the bumper, look up, and push the sensor out. Unclip/clip the new one to the harness and push the new sensor in. 1 minute and $30 later my park assist message is gone and the park assist works.

How do dealerships not get regulated for over inflated prices? It's like they are from another planet when you see some of their prices  :beating:.

Park assist was working great since I put the new sensor in. No "service park assist" message.

Until yesterday.... now I get "park assist off" when I put the truck in drive or reverse.

Actually, now that I am typing this I put my trailer hitch ball in the receiver on saturday but didn't drive it until sunday.... would that be causing this message on the dash?  :E:

blu_fuz said:
Park assist was working great since I put the new sensor in. No "service park assist" message.

Until yesterday.... now I get "park assist off" when I put the truck in drive or reverse.

Actually, now that I am typing this I put my trailer hitch ball in the receiver on saturday but didn't drive it until sunday.... would that be causing this message on the dash?  :E:
Yes that will trigger it from other threads I have read.

Back