• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

100 mph top speed

2007avalanche

So today I was feeling a little sporty and decided that I wanted to see just how fast my av is. I was crusing at about 60 and I punched it. When I hit 100 the rpms just kicked down and it shifted.  It was definitely the computer that regulated the speed.  (n)

I guess my question is has anyone else tried this, would a hypertec chip be able to do anything about this.

Why would you take a 6,000 brick up to that speed. Yes it is your tires are not rated for that speed.

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=33722616.135.16023&typ=R-165560&ranzahl=4&Breite=275&Herst=Goo

The factory tires are rated to 130mph. 

Where the heck do live where the speed limit is that high. (n)

I didnt ask if anyone out there wanted to cry about how I drive. I dont drive at 100 mph every day, im sure you have never driven a car that fast in your life right.

My 2010 is governed at 110.  My 2000 Silverado 4x4 was also.

Most tuners like the diablo or hypertech or what ever can raiser the limiter but I don't see the point as its a truck not a sports car. Its not like you can track it at the local drag strip.

They're right. My 05 is limited to 102. It's seen that speed once since I've had it and never again.

my edge programmer lets you change the limiter to whatever you want or eliminate it, at the risk of serious damage death and injury to yourself or others.

mine too ... I have an '08 and it is limited to 99 ..... I have the edge also .... I plan to change the limit next time I go and drive at Charlotte Motor Speedway ....

2007avalanche said:
I didnt ask if anyone out there wanted to cry about how I drive. I dont drive at 100 mph every day, im sure you have never driven a car that fast in your life right.
lol..Do you come to a complete stop at all stopsigns??

I have done several logging runs for tuning on my EFI Live for Black Bear and my truck runs just as smooth at 100+ as it does 70.  No I don't have a death wish, just comfortable that my truck can handle it.  Believe me, I only do it with no one else around to not put them in danger IF something happened.  (y)  Rev limitor off, but no where close to having the Tac pegged. 

2007avalanche said:
So today I was feeling a little sporty and decided that I wanted to see just how fast my av is. I was crusing at about 60 and I punched it. When I hit 100 the rpms just kicked down and it shifted.  It was definitely the computer that regulated the speed.   (n)

I guess my question is has anyone else tried this, would a hypertec chip be able to do anything about this.

Well 2007 Avalanche i too have done it a couple times myself so dont feel bad. I protest the speed limit all over my state and i'm pretty sure the revenue i've generated in a couple towns paid for the landscape (y) But all kidding aside. Your problem is the "governor" which does not allow the vehicle to go beyond 100mph however, now i dont know if it was just "one of those things" but i do have a Superchip installed on mine and have had the needle at 120mph...i dont brag about it because i was shocked!! and quickley slowed down and got off at the next exit cause i about wet myself :eek: I was in the mountains so it is possible it was purely by chance that i've gotten that high...and yes i do come to a complete stop at lights and signs if anyone is asking but its nice to see how far i can push the truck...I look at it this way (keep in mind i'm not a MOPAR fan at all) but if i got a car i would difinately get a Challenger and you bet your sweet ass that i'd push the limits on that too, as long as my wife is not in the car (y)

A hypertec or other handheld tuner will  ask if you want to change your top speed and allow you to do it. The tires on our vehicles are only rated to about 110 mph SUSTAINED speed. As fair warning these vehichels do not handle emergency handling manuevers at 100 + very well and will flip sometimes.

Be safe

Avalon

I took mine up to 100 while driving solo in the Nevada desert with only Wile E Coyote around to witness.  It wouldn't go any faster.

Fortunately, the road was straight as far as I could see.  I can't imagine anyone really wanting to push this truck much faster.

My eight-year-old always thinks that my truck is "slow" compared to my wife's Saturn Vue, because her speedometer reads up to 160 while mine only goes up to 120. 

PerfectReign said:
My eight-year-old always thinks that my truck is "slow" compared to my wife's Saturn Vue, because her speedometer reads up to 160 while mine only goes up to 120. 

I used to think that too as a kid.. what a surprise when I found out about "governors".

My 08 also only goes to 98-100.

I had the top speed limiter removed just as a matter of principle when I had it tuned. But I've only pushed it to 100 once...somewhere in Eastern Colorado and just to get some feel for the stability. In open country Western.....East Colorado, West Kansas, West Wyoming.....the sweet spot seems to be about 80 to 85. It gets out of either its or my long haul, cruise comfort zone beyond that. That's with the Z71 tires/suspension. The base set up with Wranglers pretty much terrified me at 70 in freeway traffic when I test drove it....twice.

I wonder how fast I've had mine up to..............

The speed limiter is set to 256 mph. I've got V-speed rated tires. The GPS will read my speed after the speedo stops at 100 mph. The Magnacharger is willing and able to shove about 8 psi into the intake. Now all I need is a deserted, flat and straight stretch of highway. It's not the speed I'm concerned about because the Av handles it pretty well; it's stopping a 6K lb. brick from 150 mph that has marginal brakes on it to begin with that worries me.

And as far as the comment about not taking it to the track because it's a truck; one of these days mine will be on a dragstrip just because I want to know what it will do.

@MyBigToy -

Where are you located?

I'm thinking of some nice, long deserted desert highways less than a few hours from my place in LA that could be ideal - erm - proving grounds.    >:D

Out of curiosity I wanted to see how fast can this beauty go. Got my hypertech and removed the speed limit. Got the gps and off I went. I WAS SURPRISED. I managed to get to 210 KMH (130 MPH). I believe it could go a bit faster but that was enough for me.
This was done before lifting the truck and never was done again.

Back