• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

CB Antenna Mount

dblosch

So in another chapter to my build, I've fab'ed up a mount for my CB antenna.   Since it's tax season, anything outside the office has basically been put on hold.  It felt good to work on the truck for a few hours.   These pictures tell me i need to do something about my nasty sail panels!  When it warms up I plan on picking up some refinish restorer.  Anyway, on to the important stuff...

I used some 1/8th inch aluminum strap for the mount. I think it's 1 1/2" wide...   though I don't really remember. I went with aluminum to avoid rust/corrosion/flaking paint...  we'll see how long it holds up.   It does flex when the antenna, a 4' firestick, whips around, but not too much.  

The pictures are pretty self explanatory. I really pulled the antenna in close to the sail panel.  I didn't want to have it in the way when loading/unloading my bike.  I should have drilled my hole 1/4" inward, as you can see, i had to flex the mount "open" a bit to keep the antenna from rubbing on the sail panel.  now the antenna leans    :E:    Also, I can't see it in any off my mirrors without sticking my head out the window.  It could be seen easily in the rear view if it were on the passenger side. Not sure if i think that's a good thing, or a bad thing.

Other than that it's pretty simple.  I did have to remove the sail panel to get it bolted down.  Since i had already done once that for the sail panel LED's, no problem.  

I haven't tuned the antenna yet, I am waiting on my new Cobra 75 handheld.  I'm not sure what the SWR will be with the antenna mounted where it is in relation to the roof...   Anybody got any insight for me?  

:wave:
Dan

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 364
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 367
  • photo 3 (2).jpg
    photo 3 (2).jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 366
A few more, all buttoned up...

Attachments

• photo 4 (1).jpg
    photo 4 (1).jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 361
  • photo 5 (2).jpg
    photo 5 (2).jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 361
  • photo (6).jpg
    photo (6).jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 363
Wow, that's looks great! Much cleaner and more elegant than what I did (drilling right into the sail panel itself lol)

looks good. you care to make a few more?
im looking into putting a radio back in my truck and this would be perfect for it

edit - just noticed thread date. sorry for bumping an old thread :beating:

dirt mcgirt said:
looks good. you care to make a few more?
im looking into putting a radio back in my truck and this would be perfect for it

edit - just noticed thread date. sorry for bumping an old thread :beating:

If you are not set on having a rear mounted antenna WalcottCB has one for the front, driver's side fender. It is a grounded mount. The link is for the GM2L for 02-06 AVs.

-EDIT-
It also includes the coax from the antenna.

Hi guys!  Thanks for the kind words.  I could potentially make a few more of these, but it will be a while before I'll get to it...  We just moved, and all of my tools are in storage! 

The concept was pretty simple, I just used the edge of my work bench and a hammer to make the 90 degree bends in the aluminum strap.  The 45 bends were made with the same process but I used the head of my sledge hemmer instead of the edge of my workbench.  The strap bends easily, anything with the correct angles will work!

:wave:
Dan

Back