Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
07/25/14 10:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CB Antenna Mount  (Read 1675 times)
dblosch

General go-fast enthusiast...

Awards
« on: 03/30/11 05:25 AM »

So in another chapter to my build, I've fab'ed up a mount for my CB antenna.   Since it's tax season, anything outside the office has basically been put on hold.  It felt good to work on the truck for a few hours.   These pictures tell me i need to do something about my nasty sail panels!  When it warms up I plan on picking up some refinish restorer.  Anyway, on to the important stuff...

I used some 1/8th inch aluminum strap for the mount. I think it's 1 1/2" wide...   though I don't really remember. I went with aluminum to avoid rust/corrosion/flaking paint...  we'll see how long it holds up.   It does flex when the antenna, a 4' firestick, whips around, but not too much.  

The pictures are pretty self explanatory. I really pulled the antenna in close to the sail panel.  I didn't want to have it in the way when loading/unloading my bike.  I should have drilled my hole 1/4" inward, as you can see, i had to flex the mount "open" a bit to keep the antenna from rubbing on the sail panel.  now the antenna leans    banghead    Also, I can't see it in any off my mirrors without sticking my head out the window.  It could be seen easily in the rear view if it were on the passenger side. Not sure if i think that's a good thing, or a bad thing.

Other than that it's pretty simple.  I did have to remove the sail panel to get it bolted down.  Since i had already done once that for the sail panel LED's, no problem.  

I haven't tuned the antenna yet, I am waiting on my new Cobra 75 handheld.  I'm not sure what the SWR will be with the antenna mounted where it is in relation to the roof...   Anybody got any insight for me?  

Wave
Dan
« Last Edit: 03/30/11 05:27 AM by dblosch » Logged
dblosch

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 03/30/11 05:26 AM »

A few more, all buttoned up...
vicbush

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 04/18/11 04:28 AM »

Wow, that's looks great! Much cleaner and more elegant than what I did (drilling right into the sail panel itself lol)

2002 Pewter K1500 CW Avalanche | CB Radio w/ Dual Whips | Amber Full-Time DRLs | New Radio HU | Hopefully more mods to come!
RoarinRow
CAFCNA 2009 Supporting Member

Northern California Chapter

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: 04/18/11 06:46 AM »

Looks great and awesome looking bike from what I can see   Thumbs up!

2002 Summit White 1500 4X4 4.10, Poweraid TBS, Volant CAI, HPP3, Taylor Wires, TOC, Flowmaster 40 Series, Eibach Lowering Springs, Stillen Front Brakes, Belltech Shocks, PIAA 2100XT driving lights, Epic Gladiators with Proxes STII 285/50/20, Phantom Cluster, Pioneer Flip DVD, HID 6000k.  Click on pic.
dirt mcgirt

whats up there chief??

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 01/22/12 01:41 PM »

looks good. you care to make a few more?
im looking into putting a radio back in my truck and this would be perfect for it

edit - just noticed thread date. sorry for bumping an old thread Beating

04 nekkid
billet grill action
window tint action
flowmaster action
escalade door handle action
leveled and spacers
Saoirse_Trodai
CAFCNA 2013 Premium Member

Never forgotten...

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 01/22/12 02:33 PM »

looks good. you care to make a few more?
im looking into putting a radio back in my truck and this would be perfect for it

edit - just noticed thread date. sorry for bumping an old thread Beating

If you are not set on having a rear mounted antenna WalcottCB has one for the front, driver's side fender. It is a grounded mount. The link is for the GM2L for 02-06 AVs.

-EDIT-
It also includes the coax from the antenna.

2006 Dark Blue Metallic Chevrolet Avalanche LT - 4x2 - Modded Out
- Traded -
2009 White Volkswagen GTI - 4 Door - Bone Stock

One day, I shall have another AV!
dirt mcgirt

whats up there chief??

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 01/24/12 09:39 PM »

Thanks for the link. Id rather have it in the rear if i could but that is still an option

04 nekkid
billet grill action
window tint action
flowmaster action
escalade door handle action
leveled and spacers
dblosch

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 01/25/12 06:11 AM »

Hi guys!   Thanks for the kind words.   I could potentially make a few more of these, but it will be a while before I'll get to it...   We just moved, and all of my tools are in storage! 

The concept was pretty simple, I just used the edge of my work bench and a hammer to make the 90 degree bends in the aluminum strap.  The 45 bends were made with the same process but I used the head of my sledge hemmer instead of the edge of my workbench.  The strap bends easily, anything with the correct angles will work!

Wave
Dan
RENORCR
CAFCNA 2014 Premium Member

(aka "RENO") Too many mods, too little time!!!

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 01/25/12 10:22 AM »

Thanks for the link. Id rather have it in the rear if i could but that is still an option

This was my mount on the rear. A piece of 1/4" aluminum.

2003 1500 Z66 Black (SVO/PI) - BLT: 11/02  Arrived: 4/03
Light Mods: Amber FT/DRL's, Blue/Red LED, Hood Light, Kickpanel lights, Maglight mod
Ext Mods: FTS8002, Z71 Skid Plate, Frt/Rr Combo WAAG guards, Manik Taillght Guard, Custom Frt/Rr 2500 Wheel Moulding, Husky MudGuards
Engine Mods: 145 Amp Alt, Aux Trans Cooler, Flexalite Oil Cooler, Painless Dual Battery
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: