• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Re: HyperTech Max Energy re-programmer

GreatWest

I searched the board and found that several AV owners have used the HyperTech re-programmer modification on their AV's. However, I did not find any posts (could of missed a few) that have actual numbers to go with their feeling of less or better performance. I purchased and installed the regular fuel profile on my AV/2500 496cid and here is my impression of this inexpensive and easy upgrade, along with real numbers.

Having purchased a 32? travel trailer last fall I?ve been looking for some additional horsepower from my 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche. When I purchased my Avalanche I knew that one day I would be towing some hefty weight so I went for just about everything in the towing package with the exception of the 4:11 gears. With the 496cid under the hood and a 12K hitch on the back, I figured I could just about pull anything I wanted to. The transmission is the stock 4 speed (not the Allison) and everything is factory, at least up until last Wednesday.

With the travel trailer coming in at about 6000Lbs the Avalanche does a fine job of towing. Just down the road from where I live is Highway 30. Coming from Mesquite into Rockwall (Dallas, TX area) there is a very large hill going from Lake Ray Hubbard up into the City of Rockwall. The stock Avalanche pulled the travel trailer up that hill without too much trouble, holding 65 mph in 3rd gear. I could have pushed harder for more speed but 65 is about what everyone else does up that hill. Still, more power would be nice, and if I can get a little better gas mileage, that would be icing on the cake.

I went hunting for the lowest cost upgrade that would give me a reasonable power increase without having to go under the hood. This only leaves vehicle re-programmers. After looking around, doing some research I decided to purchase the HyperTech Max Energy re-programmer. There are plenty of re-programmers on the market. One that keeps coming up is Nelson Tune. The cost is more than the HyperTech but not a great deal. Some of the comments made about the HyperTech is that it is more generic, meaning, yes there will be a performance increase, but HyperTech keeps all the changes within a reasonable range compared to stock specifications. This ensures passing of smog tests as well as not possibly damaging the engine. Since I use my truck as my commute vehicle in day to day driving as well as to pull my travel trailer, I thought this would be the way to go. I ordered my HyperTech tuner from www.truckaddons.com for $287.99 (that includes shipping and handling).

The tuner arrived on a Wednesday. My plan was to go out and run some baseline tests, update the trucks computer and then run the tests again. I have an ODBII computer interface from www.scantool.net. I purchased the scantool many years ago so I could perform my own diagnostics on the truck. The scantool software that runs on a Windows laptop will allow all sorts of monitoring but in particular I wanted gas mileage and ? mile times. Well I couldn?t wait until the weekend to reprogram the truck, so I did it that Wednesday evening. The update was easy with the HyperTech re-programmer. Just follow the onscreen instructions. Driving to work Thursday and Friday, I suspected there was a difference in performance of my truck, but you know how that goes ? wishful thinking, hoping I didn?t waste almost $300.00 on something that really did nothing at all.

Once Saturday came around I went and found a fairly level long road that had little traffic on it. Though the HypterTech re-programmer will change many settings on the Avalanche?s computer, I was only interested in two of them. I wanted the performance increase installed for a regular fuel engine (if you run premium you can get even better performance) and I wanted the transmission (non-Allison) to shift harder and have less clutch slippage. Since these updates were already programmed into the Avalanche?s computer from Wednesday, I went ahead and made a few runs, noting what the scantool displayed.

This was a steady run, cruise control locked over a 1 mile run.

MPH    MPG Stock    MPG HypterTech   Improvement
30        22.2                23                             0.8
40        20.72              21.39                       0.67
50        20.23              20.88                       0.65
60        16.96              17.52                       0.56
70        14.74              15.18                       0.44

Nothing spectacular and not the 2 to 6mpg that HyperTech talks about on their website, yet there was an increase in mileage. Since I purchased the HyperTech more for power and less for increased fuel mileage I wasn?t disappointed in these numbers. Plus, figuring that most of my driving to and from work is between 35 and 45 mph I could and actually did see an increase in mileage on Thursday and Friday. Now remember, the above is steady speed, locked in cruise control over fairly level road. I know the Avalanche drinks fuel just to get that 6000Lbs truck moving. My actual mileage to and from my office with stops and starts averages around 14.5mpg. I have hit above 15mpg average a few times. That takes a lot of concentration and the stupid drivers that cut me off or can?t figure that vehicles will hold a steady speed must be out of the way. Well, since I purchased the HyperTech for giving me that little  towing power I once again used my scantool to give me some timed runs. Here are those figures, and they are somewhat impressive considering this is just a reprogram of the trucks computer.

Test                     Stock    HyperTech    Improvement
60' time                5.291    4.307           -0.984
0 to 60 time         11.982  10.654         -1.328
1/8th mile time     13.734  12.801         -0.933
1000' time            17.002  16.01           -0.992
1/4 mile time        19.814   18.731         -1.083
1/4 mile speed     80.778   83.206          2.428

The times above would actually be even quicker if I hadn?t of flubbed up on the runs. The road that I tested on for the mileage was perfectly level. The road that I did the ? mile runs on was actually slightly uphill. After backing onto the road from my turn around spot I checked my rear view to make sure no one was coming. I needed to come to a complete stop to run the ? mile test. I tapped the staging button on my computers screen for the scantool, glanced up in the rear view and here came a truck, and he was coming fast. I floored the gas pedal and the timer was running. I figured I might as well stay in it until the run was done. This means my first run was uphill instead of up on the level area where I really wanted it to be. The second run, without the HyperTech program installed was in the same location, up the slight hill. Still, cutting off a second or more from all times and an increase of almost 2.5mph at the end of the run is a pretty nice increase.

Are the numbers as good as HyperTech claims? No of course not. Any company is going to publish the best numbers and from what I understand, the best numbers were obtained on a Mustang test vehicle. Still I am not complaining. The numbers are better than stock. The throttle seems to respond quicker, the shifts are stronger and I have observed a slight increase in mileage.

Now to play with the numbers a bit ? Gasoline is running $2.97 per gallon right now for regular fuel. At that price, each mile is costing me $0.2048. With the HypterTech re-programmer installed the price drops to $0.1958 per mile. The savings per mile is $0.0090 or almost a penny. This means that to pay for the HypterTech re-programmer, I need to drive 31,834.625 miles with the HypterTech program installed. Of course if the price of gasoline goes down, then more miles are needed, and the reverse if the price of gasoline goes up. Still, remember I purchased the HypterTech for the added power, especially for when I?m towing that monster 32? travel trailer. Since my Avalanche only has 111,120 miles on it, another 32,000 miles is more than doable.

Am I happy with the purchase, yes. For the price, ease of installation, the added power and the added gas mileage, the HypterTech re-programmer was worth the money.

Chevy Avalanche 2500
496cid Rat Motor
4 Speed Automatic (non-Allison)
ODB II ScanTool from www.scantool.net
HyperTech Max Energy re-programmers (PN# 32000)   

I have the same unit and tune in my 5.3L and have not performed an indepth test like you did. I noticed approximately a 1 1/2 MPG improvement. The shifts are definately firmer than stock. As far as performance goes the truck sees to have more pep (no scientific test, just feel). Overall I am happy with the unit and the improvements. I also like the ease of use of this unit compared to having to log and recalibrate like the other units.

I thought that the small block would see better mileage than the big block does. I do like the increase in performance. The first time I floored the gas pedal I felt that I was being pushed into the seat a little more. On the HyperTech website they show a nice increase in torque as well as horsepower. However I have no plans on putting my Avalanche through the same tests but with the travel trailer attached! I'm happy enough with the results that I won't be returning this product.

But what settings do you use for shift points and what not? I haven't seen any examples for the Max Energy 32000, not for a 5.3 L 2X4. ???

Your post is a perfect example of why I support this site. Thank you for the through post that happens to have a direct application to my situation.  It looks like I have some shopping to do.

TXBodean said:
But what settings do you use for shift points and what not? I haven't seen any examples for the Max Energy 32000, not for a 5.3 L 2X4. ???

With the unit I have I can't adjust shift points, only firmness of the shift. It is a noticeable difference, especially at low RPM high torque conditions the shifts are quick and strong. The unit I have did not come with the programming for my truck. I had to go online and download it. Updating the re-programmer was easy. If you're really interested in making the upgrade, a call to the company will answer all your questions. The support was really good when I called.

cooncitycornflake said:
Your post is a perfect example of why I support this site. Thank you for the through post that happens to have a direct application to my situation.  It looks like I have some shopping to do.

I only have an additional 6000 miles on the truck, but with the past high price of gasoline ($3.85 per gallon) and even the current price of $3.44 per gallon which I paid today, the unit will pay for itself much quicker than expected. It's almost disappointing how quick the upgrade is. Kind of like, what did I get for my money? I just have to look at this post to remind me of those ongoing performance gains.

Thanks Great West. I swagged the shift points just for the fun of it.
1st-2nd: +100
2nd-3rd: +200
3rd-4th: +300
Sensing a pattern here. Time will tell how well it works. Unfortunately I haven't had the AV long enough to get a good sense of mileage anyway, but if I can get closer to 20mpg I'll be happy.

Best I've ever done is 18.4 with the Rat motor (combination city/highway). That happened only once and it took some extremely creative driving. Having the ODBII on the laptop showed me that any more than 15 seconds at a stop light was killing my gas mileage. Of course it's best not to have to stop at all, but that's difficult to do with other drivers on the road, racing light to light. If people would just learn how o time lights, I know I'd pull 15 easily to and from work.

I have my shift points on my 02 5.3 set st: 1st -2ND +4, 2ND-3rd +3 3rd-4Th+1. The plus is how many more RPM before the transmission shifts at WOT. And be sure to increase you RPM's to match you shift points otherwise your engine will cut out before you shift. So I increased my RPM's to 6100. The 5.3 at 6000RPM sounds so fraking awesome with my flowmaster FM40 Dual exhaust. My 1st gear shifts at 57MPH with WOT. Under normal driving it shifts normal just firmer. the shift points are nice for passing on highways and climbing up hills. My Av will drop from 4Th to 2ND at 60MPH when passing on Highway 41 on an 8% grade, and it pulls nicely.
I ran 93 octane performance for about 1 year and mi mileage averaged 15.8 for highway and city over that year and 47k miles. Towing trailers and offroading. I just reduced my tuner back to 87 Octane with the same settings as the 93 octane, because of gas prices. My mileage only went up .4MPG for the first tank of gas. All of which was done in the mountains with AC on and driving aggressively. I was seeing the difference in performance between the 2 settings. I will do the next year as i did the last  year and see how things come out.

TXBodean said:
Thanks Great West. I swagged the shift points just for the fun of it.

Sensing a pattern here. Time will tell how well it works. Unfortunately I haven't had the AV long enough to get a good sense of mileage anyway, but if I can get closer to 20mpg I'll be happy.

Hi  i just  got me  A  Hypertech Max Energy 32000 too 

I like  to know  if  this increments  work for you
1st-2nd: +100
2nd-3rd: +200
3rd-4th: +300

Thanks in advance

Great West:

Your results are very good. I noticed about a .5 mpg improvement in gas mileage. The 2500 weighs 7000 lbs, I know I took mine across the scales. You simply are not going to get much better mpg with that big a truck. I pull 11,000 lbs and that is why I have the 2500 and 4.10 gears. NO OTHER SUV built today can do this.

Avalon

Attachments

• Chris Cat.png
    Chris Cat.png
    13.7 KB · Views: 127
avalonandl said:
Great West:

Your results are very good. I noticed about a .5 mpg improvement in gas mileage. The 2500 weighs 7000 lbs, I know I took mine across the scales. You simply are not going to get much better mpg with that big a truck. I pull 11,000 lbs and that is why I have the 2500 and 4.10 gears. NO OTHER SUV built today can do this.

Avalon

I don't have the 4:10 rear end so mileage is slightly better but I know what you mean about towing. I believe Chevy screwed up advertising the AV as an SUV. The 2500 with the 8.1l is a work horse. Even the mouse motor has some torque and Chevy could have improved on it without too much trouble. Instead of the AV having an 11 year run, Chevy could have made a much longer run with the AV. The AV is so versatile and Chevy didn't capitalize on that. I very routinely lay the mid gate down for large cargo items, haul family around with the mid gate and seats up, with seats down I toss in a piece of plywood I cut to fit..toss a throw down carpet and take my three labs for a ride. I have a 12k hitch and recently towed a 32' travel trailer to Pueblo CO for a vacation. Towed great even in snow and ice (with load leveling bars and a anti-sway bar). I thought something was wrong on the way up because every time I pulled even a modest hill the AV would drop to 3rd, then to 2nd at about 4k RPM! Then during a stop I got out and was hit by a 30+ MPH wind...duh. Without the headwind the AV held 70 MPH without any problem. I have 138,000+ miles and just had a tune up done yesterday. The mechanic said it's in excellent condition. I hope to get 300,000 if not more.

Back