• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

5.3 to 6.0 Swap....Doing it

TXSZ66AVLANCHE

Pictures tell the story

Free core engine

IMG00176-20110127-1212.jpg

Free engine on stand

utf-8BSU1HMDAxOTUtMjAxMTAyMDItMTIyNy5qcGc.jpg

Ready for machine shop

utf-8BSU1HMDAxOTYtMjAxMTAyMDItMTQ0OC5qcGc.jpg

This engine lost oil pressure, everything thrown in trash can except block, heads, crankshaft. Just doing a stock type rebuild and adding a 206/212 112LSA cam, hardened push rods and LS6 springs, double roller timing chain.

Engine build is going to be more expensive that first anticipated, during complete tear down it was obvious that oil starvation was defiantly the COD for this engine. Metal shavings throughout the engine but mainly concentrated around the cam and lifters. a few rods were burned so with the advice of my friend helping me they went into the trash along with the pistons, oil pump, pickup tube, and entire valve train.

To keep cost down stock oem equivalent rods and pistons will be used. Still working on a source for these.

A usable cam was given to me and sent off to a local shop that is re grinding it to Z06 specs for $125 EDIT: A real Z06 cam w/LS6 springs has been purchased from a member of another forum (y) longer push rods are needed due to re grinding $100, LS6 yellow springs $60, new lifters $98, new oem rockers $125, Double roller timing chain $98

Soon as the LS6 springs are in the heads are off to the machine shop for some work.

For Sale: Reground cam Z06 specs $125
For Sale: LS6 Valve spring wet $40

You might as well beef up the pistons/rings to hardened steel, etc.  You might want more power down the road and now is the time to prep the motor.  It won't cost much more than stock...might even be cheaper if you shop around.

I got the rotating assembly in the block yesterday, was just going to drop off the parts and next thing I know..it was done. The heads are going on in the morning, going to stop there because SD sent me the wrong length pushrods. This morning I picked up the valve covers and started pulling the engine, hoping next weekend it will be ready to drop in.

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMjUtMjAxMTAyMjAtMTMyNC5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMjYtMjAxMTAyMjAtMTY1My5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMjQtMjAxMTAyMjAtMTE1Mi5qcGc.jpg

A friend of mine is letting me use his shop to build the engine, here is a picture of his latest project A 5.3 with a LS1 FAST intake and LS1 front drive.

IMG00178-20110127-1239.jpg

Wanting to do this myself. All I am looking for is about 475hp./450tq., should be no issue with the LQ9, bolt ons and some tuning. Good luck with your build, i'll be watching............

Cell pictures...

utf-8BSU1HMDAyNDItMjAxMTAyMjQtMTkzMC5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAyNDMtMjAxMTAyMjQtMTk0Ny5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAyNDEtMjAxMTAyMjQtMTczMy5qcGc.jpg

The front cover is just sitting on the engine, need to get the oil pan ready before the front and rear covers go on. Its really starting to move along now! The LS6 valley cover is supposed to be here today....hehe good times!

really wanted to go with full roller rockers but everything posted on the LS1 forums and Fbody forums basically say the OEM rocker arms are so good that and gain from a full rocker is extremely minimal. So far on this project the cost is about $2500 now, but that includes a few items that were not really necessary- Edelbrock ceramic coated headers $362, Circle D torque converter $456, LS6 Valley cover $79, powder coating $155. So far I am pleased with everything and it looks like I will meet my target date for install this Sat 3/5

Wow this is remarkable, I have pondered the idea on this also just because it is something to keep my mind off of real life some times and wondering what my Avvy could be!  I have also posted before about swapping front ends from GMT-800 to GMT-900 suspension because no mater how you put it coil overs ride better and are cheaper to lift than tortion bars.  While swapping in the 6.0 like you have you could almost turn any 02-06 Avalanche to a 07+.
:cheers:

(y)  Great project. Keep us updated and let us know how you like the 6.0.

Here is a semi final pic of the engine bay.

utf-8BSU1HMDAyNzctMjAxMTAzMTMtMTMwNC5qcGc.jpg

I've got a problem running rich and keep getting a map CEL at idle. Hopfully its a tuning issue...

Missed target date, but 'DAYUM' it's just a bout there.
Will you have access to a dyno to check HP and Torque?

Looking goood,

EJ

Where did you get the engine lift brackets, those look a whole lot easier to use than the old school way, (believe me I know I did it). If you got a part number that would be great.Thanks :cool:#7

A camshaft problem developed with my build :-( a new crate LS1 from Scoggins Dickey has taken it place until the camshaft and bearings are replaced.

Back