• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

what i believe is lifter noise.....

devanwon

okay guys, read alot on this issue on these forums, great info!!! my truck (2007 av with 39,782 miles) when sitting for 2 or more days develops the dreaded ticking from the lifters. Just took it into the dealer today and they looked at me blankly when i told them the issue. hopefully they will find something, I know what an engine should sound like even when its been sitting for a week and even when its cold. my suburban with 200k on it doesnt do this. question is do I give them the fix bullitin (which I found on here) or just let them try to find it, if they say there is nothing wrong and cant hear it how do i go about getting it fixed, tell them to keep it until they hear it or???? thanks !! :D

Just my opinion...

I would have gone in with bulletin in hand...and been very nice about it (not sayin' you weren't)
I would have taken the Av to them in the late afternoon and asked them to keep it for however long
they wanted to...in order to duplicate the symptom.

Dealer folks (Sales and/or Service) don't like being "shown up"...just like you or I wouldn't in our job/s either.

But handled in the right way...taking your "product" and "known issue bulletin" and suggesting that based on one's personal experience with the "product"...it appears the "bulletin" hits the nail on the head...and would they please take the time to see if they agree.

Presented in a fashion similar to that can get not only respect but a good service experience and proper repair as well.

Although I am suggesting a different "presentation"...I don't think it's too late in your case to still "get er done"...

You may wish to consider giving/showing them the bulletin right now...perhaps say something like you forgot to bring it with you when you dropped off the Av...and that the symptom you are experiencing duplicates what the bulletin refers to...and you would like their opinion etc...

thats a great point, I will do that today..... so they called me yesterday and said "we couldnt find anything wrong", i told the service writer that it had to be left sitting for 2-3 days and then started in the morning not the afternoon.... he was like "oh ok" being as a did tell him this when i dropped it  :E: off monday. I very politely told him to keep it till friday or monday whichever he likes and try it in the morning on one of those days. Thats where i left off yesterday afternoon so we will see....
ill keep you guys updated

okay so update.... left it sit at the dealer and they didnt start it for a couple days, went to do it yesterday and it made the lifter noise!! they preformed the test and found them to be bad... they are replacing the lifters and camshaft etcc... under warranty! (y)

VinnieGTP said:
I have the same issue.  What is the bullitin # for this one please?

not sure I will find out for you when I get my rig back tuesday, cool? hope your having better luck with yours than i did with mine

I have heard it since I bought it new.  I just know what lifter noise is and didn't worry to much about it.  I know in older vehicles they just used a thicker oil and called it a day but if this is a known issue I'd like to get it fixed.

I'll probably not drive it for a couple days and have it towed to the dealership, my insurance does it for free no questions asked, and have them start it to hear it.

VinnieGTP said:
I have heard it since I bought it new.  I just know what lifter noise is and didn't worry to much about it.  I know in older vehicles they just used a thicker oil and called it a day but if this is a known issue I'd like to get it fixed.

I'll probably not drive it for a couple days and have it towed to the dealership, my insurance does it for free no questions asked, and have them start it to hear it.

I let mine set solid for 3 days before they started it at the dealership, not sure if yours does it after sitting overnight but either way NEEDS to be fixed

got the truck back today. the bulletin number is 10-06-01-007C.... we will see if this takes care of it, time will tell shortly
they also are doing an oil consumption test now too, they told me if i was 1qt low or more after 1k-1500 miles then the engine will be
replaced.

Posted here as FYI:

#10-06-01-007: Active Fuel Management (AFM) Engine, Valve Lifter Tick Noise at Start Up When Engine Has Been Off for 2 Hours or More (Evaluate Noise and/or Replace Valve Lifters) - (Aug 13, 2010)

Subject: Active Fuel Management (AFM) Engine, Valve Lifter Tick Noise at Start Up When Engine Has Been Off for 2 Hours or More (Evaluate Noise and/or Replace Valve Lifters)

Models: 2007 Buick Rainier

2009 Buick LaCrosse Super, Allure Super (Canada Only)

2007 Cadillac Escalade

Built Prior to April 1, 2006 with 6.2L Engine RPO L92 (These engines were built with AFM Hardware but the AFM system was disabled)

2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

2007-2009 Chevrolet Impala

2007-2010 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, TrailBlazer

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS

2007-2010 GMC Envoy, Sierra, Yukon

2007-2008 Pontiac Grand Prix

2008-2009 Pontiac G8

2007-2009 Saab 9-7X

Equipped with AFM (Active Fuel Management) V8 Engine (RPOs L76, L94, L99, LC9, LFA, LH6, LMG, LS4, LY5)

Attention: This bulletin only applies to the AFM V8 engines listed above. It DOES NOT apply to Non-AFM Engines. If you are dealing with a Non-AFM engine that is experiencing a similar noise, please refer to Engine Mechanical > Diagnostic Information and Procedures > Symptoms in SI.

Condition
Some customers may comment on an engine valve lifter tick noise that occurs after the engine has been shut off for at least two hours. The tick noise may last from two seconds to ten minutes.

Cause
This condition may be caused by any of the following:

? Aerated oil in the valve lifter body, resulting in the valve lifter being unable to purge the air quickly.

? A low engine oil level or incorrect oil viscosity.

? Dirty or contaminated oil.

? A low internal valve lifter oil reservoir level.

? Debris in the valve lifter.

? A high valve lifter leak down rate.

Correction
If the SI diagnostics do not isolate the cause of this valve lifter tick noise and normal oil pressure is noted during the concern, perform the following steps:

Inspect the engine oil condition and level. Refer to Owner Manual > Service and Appearance Care > Checking Things Under the Hood > Description and Operation > Engine Oil in SI.
⇒ If the engine oil is more than one quart low, an incorrect oil viscosity is being used or if poor quality/contamination is observed, change the oil and filter.

Note: Allow at least a two hour soak time between engine OFF and start up when evaluating the tick noise.

Start the engine and evaluate the valve lifter tick noise.
⇒ If the valve lifter tick noise is still present, replace all 16 valve lifters. Refer to Valve Lifter Replacement in SI.

Parts Information
Note: A V8 AFM engine requires 8 AFM lifters and 8 non-AFM lifters for a total of 16 lifters.

Part Number
Description
Qty

Non AFM Hydraulic Valve Lifter

AFM Hydraulic Valve Lifter

Warranty Information (excluding Saab U.S. Models)
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

J0627
Valve Lifter Replacement - Both Sides
Use Published Labor Operation Time

Warranty Information (Saab U.S. Models)
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Saab Labor Operation
Description
Failed Object
Fault/Reason Code
Location Code
Warranty Type
Repair/Action Code
STM Labor Time

21421-12
Replace part, Depressor
01 (Replace)
Use Published STM Labor Operation Time

PARTS LIST:

1 12589226 0289 GASKET

1 89060413 3270 GASKET KIT

2 12617944 3270 GASKET

20 11571134 0293 BOLT

10 12558840 0293 BOLT

1 12602048 1251 PLUG

2 12602541 1097 SEAL

1 15077362 3611 SEAL

1 15035747 3611 SEAL

8 12576400 0459 F-LIFTER

8 12632143 0459 LIFTER

1 12346290 8800 COOLANT

6 15032594 3613 NUT

1 11589264 8981 STUD

6 12345610 8800 OIL

1 89017524 1836 FILTER

ok so my problem came back except its not on cold start up that the lifters clatter or tap its after its warmed up... have 40,109 miles on it now about 400 more than when I had the repair done... took it to the dealer and they also checked the oil as we are doing an oil consumption test also, it was a little over 1/2qt low after 400 miles!! :eek:
so i left it with them and they gave me a free loaner car to drive which was nice, waiting to hear back on what the word is.....

devanwon said:
ok so my problem came back except its not on cold start up that the lifters clatter or tap its after its warmed up... have 40,109 miles on it now about 400 more than when I had the repair done... took it to the dealer and they also checked the oil as we are doing an oil consumption test also, it was a little over 1/2qt low after 400 miles!! :eek:
so i left it with them and they gave me a free loaner car to drive which was nice, waiting to hear back on what the word is.....

I have a 07 Avalanche with 46k on it. Last month I had lifters, pistons...... replaced under warranty because of some of the issues you were having. After I had the truck back I started hearing valve noise at around 2000RPMs and it would get louder as the load increased. The dealer has it again and I'm not sure what is going on since I haven't heard from them since Wednesday when I dropped it off. I hope they are replacing the engine this time because I'm not sure what type of problems the noise may have caused and I'm pretty sure these motors are bad. Too many owners are having identical problems with them.

Hope all works out with your truck.

so the dealer found 2 rocker arms cracked on cylinder #4, they replaced them and said all was good....got the truck back home and could hear the infamous tick tick sound again from the passenger side.... took it back to the dealer where we put it next to an 08 with 40k miles on it. had both the hoods up and the 08 didn't do it and mine did, they (mechanic and service writer) heard this and I take the truck back on tuesday and they are going to call gm tech at general motors to see what it could be. im stumped at this point and seems the mechanic is also, im on the road to hopefully getting it fixed though.  :D

dropped it off on 3/10/11 and have not heard anything so far.... will keep you guys informed  :needhug:

ok so 2 more rocker arms cracked on cylinder #8, WTF.... my guess is that maybe he over tightened them when they did the inital cam/lifter repair, or are these prone to cracking???

Back