• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2011 AV - small rock causes flat tire!

Chevy-SS

My 2011 AV only has 2400 miles. The other day, the DIC message says I have low tire pressure in left rear. So I fill inflate with air and then get the same message the next day. It's obvious at that point that the tire has a pretty good leak.

So today I take the tire off and down to my local shop. Guy dunks the tire in the water tub and I spot the leak. At first glance, it looks to be a piece of metal. But the guy dug it out and it was a small rock!  :eek:  I mean, the little rock was no more than 1/2" across. I could not believe it. I have never seen a small rock cause a hole in a tire.

Now I'm worried that the stock 17" Goodyear Wrangler HP tires are total POS. Anyone else having tire problems??

i'm going to say it was a fluke,  and I say that because I has 5 3 inch nails in mine, but no leak...

yeah these are 3 inch framing nails, 5 of them, and the tire didn't leak until my dumbass pulled them out and tried to plug them..

$325 for a new tire @ 1900 miles... :E:

2010-12-06_19-50-30_829.jpg

Wowza man, that's a crapload of nails ya got in that tire!  :eek:

I can certainly understand nails and screws and such penetrating the tread, but a small piece of gravel????? Holy mackeral, I've never seen that and I've been a gearhead car-guy for 45 years.

O well, I guess I'll just wear these out as fast as possible and put on a nice set of Michelins. I love Michelins.....  :love:

-

yes running over a plastic bucket on the highway resulted in a no-so-cool expense/mod.

in 26ish years of driving, this is only the second time (touching wood as not to jinx myself here) I have had a flat due to a nail, I usually wear tires out not kill them with debris.. 

Chevy-SS said:
Wowza man, that's a crapload of nails ya got in that tire!  :eek:

I can certainly understand nails and screws and such penetrating the tread, but a small piece of gravel????? Holy mackeral, I've never seen that and I've been a gearhead car-guy for 45 years.

O well, I guess I'll just wear these out as fast as possible and put on a nice set of Michelins. I love Michelins.....  :love:

-

Then you already know, even irrespective of the problem you just had, that the stock 17" base tires actually are pos.

ltxi said:
Then you already know, even irrespective of the problem you just had, that the stock 17" base tires actually are pos.

Yes, I think you are right about the OE tires. Look at the ratings on this Tire Rack chart, as compared to a nice top-rated Michelin. I'm tempted just to junk these OE tires right now.....

Avalanche-tire-compare.jpg

-

Back