• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

How do I get heater fan to come on when using remote start?

Chevy-SS

2011 AV here. It has the basic dual-zone HVAC controls.

My question is - how do I get the heater fan to come on when using remote start? I like to use the remote start on cold days. The engine warms up fine, but the heater fan will not come on until I actually put the key in and turn it. This doesn't seem to make sense. In my old Chevy truck (98 Silverado), the heater fan would come on with remote start and the truck's interior would be nicely warmed up. But in my new 2011 AV, the dang interior is bone-chilling COLD when I get in, even though the engine has been running 10 minutes.

Hopefully someone has the fix?  ???

Here's my heater control panel:
av-heater-control.jpg

thanks

I've been considering a remote start but wonder the same thing on my '04 the dual zone auto climate control turns off completely when cold unless I manually turn the fan speed up to near max. If the engine, heater core is warm the auto climate control works correctly. Seems like remote start would be a waste if I can't make it defrost on max, guess I could make it start my butt warmers but they only take seconds to heat up.

On my '02 manual dual zone I could just leave it on with the temp & fan in positions I chose.

is the heater actually turned on? ..... once the engine gets to a certain temp it will kick on the heat even when using the remote start ....

Mine take about 5 minutes before it starts blowing hot air .... seats are nice and warm too ....

try it again ... even let it run close to the ten minutes before the engine turns off ... if the fan still doesn't come on then a trip to the dealer is in your future ....

John

Intimidatoruag said:
is the heater actually turned on? ..... once the engine gets to a certain temp it will kick on the heat even when using the remote start ....

Yes, the heater is turned on. I have been trying different settings. I hate to think the engine needs to be warm before the blower motor will start, but I am beginning to suspect this is the case. That sucks....

:needhug:Which unit do u have there others manual control where u spin the knob for temp and digital. On mine at a certain temp my heated seats turn. On and at night set temp to 90nda defrost mode and give the truck about 10mins to warm up.

Found this in the manual.

Your vehicle may have a remote starting feature. This feature allows you to start the engine from outside of the vehicle. It may also start up the vehicle's heating or air conditioning systems and rear window defogger. Normal operation of the system will return after the key is turned to the ON/RUN position. If your vehicle has an automatic climate control system, the climate control system will default to a heating or cooling mode depending on the outside temperatures. If your vehicle does not have an automatic climate control system, the system will turn on at the setting the vehicle was set to when the vehicle was last turned off. During a remote start, if your vehicle has an automatic climate control system and heated seats, the heated seats will turn on during colder outside temperatures and will shut off when the key is turned to ON/RUN. If your vehicle does not have an automatic climate control system, during remote start, you will need to manually turn the heated seats on and off. See Heated Seats on page 27 for additional information. Laws in some communities may restrict the use of remote starters. For example, some laws may require a person using the remote start to have the vehicle in view when doing so. Check local regulations for any requirements on remote starting of vehicles. Do not use the remote start feature if your vehicle is low on fuel. Your vehicle may run out of fuel. If your vehicle has the remote start feature, the RKE transmitter functions will have an increased range of operation. However, the range may be less while the vehicle is running. There are other conditions which can affect the performance of the transmitter, see Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) System on page 34 for additional information. -----

moosc said:
Found this in the manual.......... If your vehicle does not have an automatic climate control system, the system will turn on at the setting the vehicle was set to when the vehicle was last turned off......... -----

Yes, thanks, I had read that before posting. The key words there are "the system will turn on at the setting the vehicle was set to when the vehicle was last turned off".

But my truck was not doing that. Interesting, it HAS been working like that (as per the manual) for the past two days. Today the temp is 35 degrees outside, I just hit the remote start and I checked - the blower motor is ON. So, it appears to be working at the moment.

Thanks all!

-

SAME ISSUES! same heater as you have.. used remote start today (via "Remote link" for iphone), NO HEATER.. what H.E. Double hocky stick!! when -3?C out side you would think the heater would come on.. but the blower did not turn on.

I have only owned this Av for a couple months now.. so far the truck rides nice but man did GM put little thought into the rest of this vehical.

RANT
1. Dash is either metric or imperial, I?m in Canada so I choose to see gas consumption in L/ 100km but who measures tire pressure in kPa? no one born and raised in this country that?s for sure. I had to Google to see how 270kPa translated in to psi.
2. Storage bins the size of a bathroom garbage can and stores your stuff about as conveniently as one.
3. A place to plug in a iPhone but no place to put one! Sunglasses.. no place for that either in the bin they go!
4. Cargo light.. what a joke! It lights well as long as your box is empty! Couldn?t even mount a light on the sail for when larger objects are being loaded?

I guess what I?m saying is for 46K I really expected more. I haven?t bought a north American vehicle in 15 years and I?m quickly being reminded why I went to Japanese and Korean vehicles back then. It?s the everyday things that make the driving experience and when there so lacking it makes the experience frustrating.

Chevy-SS said:
Yes, thanks, I had read that before posting. The key words there are "the system will turn on at the setting the vehicle was set to when the vehicle was last turned off".

But my truck was not doing that. Interesting, it HAS been working like that (as per the manual) for the past two days. Today the temp is 35 degrees outside, I just hit the remote start and I checked - the blower motor is ON. So, it appears to be working at the moment.

Thanks all!

-

Just my 2c worth but I think the the system needs to be set on "Auto" when you shut down.  If it is, then when you use the remote start, it will turn either heat or AC on to get it back to whatever the temp setting was when it was shut down. I know that is how my '07 and '11 worked. 

So if your system was set on "Auto" and it still did not turn on the heat, then just give me my 2c worht back and I'll leave it to the experts.

renderw said:
SAME ISSUES! same heater as you have.. used remote start today (via "Remote link" for iphone), NO HEATER.. what H.E. Double hocky stick!! when -3?C out side you would think the heater would come on.. but the blower did not turn on.

I have only owned this Av for a couple months now.. so far the truck rides nice but man did GM put little thought into the rest of this vehical.

RANT
1. Dash is either metric or imperial, I?m in Canada so I choose to see gas consumption in L/ 100km but who measures tire pressure in kPa? no one born and raised in this country that?s for sure. I had to Google to see how 270kPa translated in to psi.
2. Storage bins the size of a bathroom garbage can and stores your stuff about as conveniently as one.
3. A place to plug in a iPhone but no place to put one! Sunglasses.. no place for that either in the bin they go!
4. Cargo light.. what a joke! It lights well as long as your box is empty! Couldn?t even mount a light on the sail for when larger objects are being loaded?

I guess what I?m saying is for 46K I really expected more. I haven?t bought a north American vehicle in 15 years and I?m quickly being reminded why I went to Japanese and Korean vehicles back then. It?s the everyday things that make the driving experience and when there so lacking it makes the experience frustrating.

It's been almost two tears now, so I cannot recall the exact solution. It may have been that I did, in fact, switch the controls to "Auto" as 'SmokeyJoe' suggests.

I must admit, I had all the same rants (and more) as you. Thus I sold my Avalanche after about one year of ownership.

Good luck with yours!!!

Dave in RI

"Auto" ?

I don't see an auto setting.. I have a base heater not the digital one.

see pic of above that "Chevy-SS" posted.. I have the same one

renderw said:
"Auto" ?

I don't see an auto setting.. I have a base heater not the digital one.

see pic of above that "Chevy-SS" posted.. I have the same one

AHHHH, LOL, I forgot there's no "Auto" setting on that setup. I DID get it to work with remote start. I'm pretty sure it was by setting the fan at the desired speed before shutting off the engine.

Quick update.. yes you need to leave the fan on and heater set to dash. BUT! it still won't turn on until the motor reaches "xx?"
I don't know the magic number but if I use remote start with a warm motor (say go for a drive then turn it of and use remote start) the heater works as it should. but if you just leave it parked outside and start it.. well it won't turn on until it warms up..

Back