• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

How hard to replace Rear Wheel Bearings?

wallifishrmn

I have a 2002, 4wd avalanche. I t there is a constant low hum-whine sound. I was told they are press in bearings> Is that true and how hard are they to replace. I was quoted $650 to replace both rears. Thanks

FRonts or rears or what?

I suggets second opinion to diagnose better and get actual issue

I am just wanting to know so when the time comes I can replace the bearings--not agreeing they need replacing. Front hubs are easy--have done that on other cars. I have replaced inner & outer bearings on older corvettes--front end--but I have not replaced any rear wheel bearings. On the avalanche rear bearings s it similar to replacing the front press in type bearings. Thanks

I did my rear seals a few months back..It was the perfect opportunity to replace the rusted out brake backing plates. I did not need bearings. To pull them out you just need a bearing puller slide hammer combo. Around $100 an up. Seen cheaper ones on harbor freights site though  :D

ygmn said:

I suggets second opinion to diagnose better and get actual issue

I second this........the main carrier bearings and the pinion bearings make the same sound.

I just did mine a week ago tomorrow. PITA! as cadboy1 stated you need a bearing puller/slide hammer some auto parts store rent them for free........ The one i founf @ VIP was not a slide hammer it was a puller which sucked moose balls. I put the bolts on a little that hold the main backing plate then on top of that held the main backing plate on them with 2 wrenches to hold the puller disk in order for it to pull them out (with the help of a friend ofcourse) So do yourself a huge favor and get the slide hammer one...LOL Oh one more important thing if you do descide to do it and you have a locker differential get a new lock pin bolt from GM and DO NOT REMOVE THE PIN COMPLETELY!!!!! Otherwise you risk everything falling apart and at that point good luck.... I was going to just do my needed backing plates but figured while I was there it wouldnt hurt to do new bearings and seals plus all new brakes with  slotted and cross drilled rotors all the way around..... Thank GOD it all went ok

Back