• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

spark plug gap

LornesAV

PM 2012
SM 2010
Just got home from 400 miles doing it again tomorrow and my number 7 plug is misfiring. I am in the middle of changing them all. Can someone tell me the gap? Also which cylinders are turn off with the AFM.
thanks in advance

If you buy stock iridiums, they are already pre gapped, and I believe the book calls for 0.40,

Didit

Finally found it in the manual last night. It is .040 for the iridiums. Drove today about 300 miles and the check engine light came back on. I didn't get one of the wires back on good enough.  :E:
Still had 17.3 mpg, hopefully much better now.
So which cylinders turn off or is it actually that the valves are opened and the fuel turned off. 4 of the plug were oily, maybe this is why I loose oil between change and exhaust pipe is black.

I'll take a look about the cylinders cutout, but the oily spark plugs concerns me.

I don't like that I have only 56000 miles and need new sparkys. Number 8's a  :cuss: :cuss:

Have you every had over heating problems. ???

Be sure to gap them at .040. I ran 2 sets of plugs at .060, Iridium's and platinum's. After 20k they were fowled. The iridium's were litterally melted. Once I went to .040 my plugs are lasting a lot longer. I did have my plug wire next to the steering shaft get damaged. The wire was touching the shaft so every time I turned the bracket would cut into the wire. Luckily for me I always carry my old wires in my toolbins for just such occasions.

Changed plugs and now getting 18-20 mpg before 16-18 and less down shifting. If tire really make a difference I should see even better mpg after Friday.  :woohoo:    :drive:

Back