• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

add on motion alarm

aval1212

SM 2010
I was thinking about getting the motion alarm that gm offers, Just wondering how that operates if you can disable it if for some reason something keeps setting it off. Thank you

Use to be in the old days you could get any question answered on here  oh well

Maybe you need to add more info.

Part Number of kit
What year avy you have?
etc etc

ygmn said:
Maybe you need to add more info.

Part Number of kit
What year avy you have?
etc etc

X2 I do not mind searching for stuff but if you don't post the basic stuff I'm not going to look it up or guess.

Please put the year and model you have.

GM makes a motion sensor and a tilt sensor.    :needhug:

Ok, I'll play.  Same question, I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with this add-on and how it works.  It is the GM PART # 17800431 shock sensor.  Description says it is an add on to the security system, so presumably the system does not come with this.  I have a 2008 Avalanche LTZ.  Thanks for any insight you might be able to provide.

I have not used this part, but was recently looking at it myself. It is a simple plug and play piece that uses an external shock sensor to trigger the factory alarm.
Sensitivity can be adjusted to prevent false alarms with a simple screw on the shock sensor. It is also a 2-stage sensor, meaning it honks in short burst if it detects minor tapping on the window/etc.

This is not like the crappy mercury switch/or spring and ball types of long ago, but a magnetic sensor. (This prevents it from being overly sensitive on inclines etc, but it is still liable to go off @ 3 in the morning when someone drives by on a Harley with his pipes uncorked!!)

It appears to be a fairly good set-up although costly ($115) compared to aftermarket (but they do not include all the plugs necessary for a clean and simple D.I.Y. installation.)

Part # 17800432 is an incline sensor which will trigger if the vehicle is slowly jacked up (for towing, or tire removal, by "Midnight Auto Supply")

PART # 17800431 SHOCK SENSOR  (first picture)

PART # 17800432 INCLINE SENSOR (second picture)

Attachments

• 17800431 SHOCK.jpg
    17800431 SHOCK.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 133
  • 17800432 INCLINE.jpg
    17800432 INCLINE.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 135
DouglasOak said:
I have not used this part, but was recently looking at it myself. It is a simple plug and play piece that uses an external shock sensor to trigger the factory alarm.
Sensitivity can be adjusted to prevent false alarms with a simple screw on the shock sensor. It is also a 2-stage sensor, meaning it honks in short burst if it detects minor tapping on the window.

This is not like the crappy mercury switch/or spring and ball types of long ago, but a magnetic sensor. (This prevents it from being overly sensitive on inclines etc, but it is still liable to go off @ 3 in the morning when someone drives by on a Harley with his pipes uncorked!!)

It appears to be a fairly good set-up although costly ($115) compared to aftermarket (but they do not include all the plugs necessary for a clean and simple D.I.Y. installation.)

Part # 17800432 is an incline sensor which will trigger if the vehicle is slowly jacked up (for towing, or tire removal, by "Midnight Auto Supply")

PART # 17800431 SHOCK SENSOR  (first picture)

PART # 17800432 INCLINE SENSOR (second picture)
Are they $115 EACH, or which one were you talking about?

I would love to get the shock sensor if it will plug into an '04.

ARMYtango said:
Are they $115 EACH, or which one were you talking about?

I would love to get the shock sensor if it will plug into an '04.
$115 is retail for the shock sensor. GMPARTSDIRECT $80.50
$155 is retail for the incline sensor. GMPARTSDIRECT $108.50

Both items are listed for 07+ Avalanche/EXT.

DouglasOak said:

Douglas, when you say
Hey don't include all the plugs necessary are you talking about the aftermarket or the GM?  This one does seem to include all connectors.  Do you know if it comes with install instructions.  I know a lot of OEM stuff doesn't because they probably figure it will be installed at the dealership or something.

The GM parts include the necessary connectors, and there are a couple extra wires that need to be inserted into existing connectors in the truck. As for instructions... I am not sure, but the General usually doesn't give anything but the part and a plastic bag. I will check into instructions later this weekend. But for now I'm enjoying record breaking high temps, and giving Ava some overdue pampering!

DouglasOak said:
As for instructions... I am not sure, but the General usually doesn't give anything but the part and a plastic bag.

As usual the General does not have any install info, and the BCM (Body Control Module) needs to be reprogrammed.  (n)

I was told my 2013 ltz will not work with the with the add on sensor alarm

wyotonka said:
From what i understand that is because of the auto ride suspension

what he said .... they told me the same thing when I had my '08 ... they tried to program it only to call tech support and find out it will not work with the auto leveling suspension ....

John

Back