• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Interstate, Diehard, AC Delco batteries info for 2007+ Avalanche (BCI Group 48)

kowached

Just thought I'd share what I've found while trying to upgrade my stock AC Delco 48-6YR battery.

Interstate has two different "Mega Tron Plus" BCI group size 48 options (30 month replacement, pro-rated 30-84 months).
Traditional flooded lead/acid: model MTP-H6 has 640 CCA - 121 Reserve Capacity - and 800 CA and is $140 locally.
Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM): model MTP-H6A has 800 CCA - 116 Reserve Capacity - 1000 CA and is $200 locally.
Note, this AGM is the flat plate style like the Hawker Odyssey and Diehard Platium AGM batteries, Optima batteries are also AGM, but are spiral wound.

Sears also has two different "Diehard Gold" BCI group size 48 options (36 month replacement, pro-rated 36-100 months).
Traditional flooded lead/acid: Sears Item# 02850648000 | Model# 648MF 685 CCA - 115 Reserve Capacity - and is $170 locally.
Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM): Sears Item# 02850748000 has 760 CCA - 120 Reserve Capacity - and is $190 locally.

AC Delco also makes a Professional 7 Year battery (50 month free replacement and pro-rated refund 51-84 months)
Delco model 48-7YR has 770 CCA and is $140 at my local dealer.

I just went with Walmart everstart 700CCA and 875CA 36month replacement 108month prorated for $75 about 6 months ago.

For what it's worth I went through three Delco batteries before I wised up.
I guess I'm a slow learner.
I recently replace the Delco with a NAPA maintenance free battery.
When I went to the NAPA store I told the dealer that I had gone through three Delco batteries
and that the Chevrolet dealer had told me I needed to keep a trickle charger on the battery.
The NAPA dealer told me that his battery didn't need a trickle charger to maintain a charge.
He said if it ever lost a charge bring it back and he would replace it free.
He took me out to the dead battery pile behind the store and at least 2/3's of the dead batteries
in the pile were Delco.
Lesson learned nuf said. 

dmacker said:
For what it's worth I went through three Delco batteries before I wised up.

Thanks for "Scaring me straight", the 5 year free replacement on the Delco 48-7YR was luring me in.

Wazbro said:
I just went with Walmart everstart 700CCA and 875CA 36month replacement 108month prorated for $75 about 6 months ago.

Consumer Reports finally added Group 48 batteries to their rankings and the Walmart EverStart that you selected was their #1 ranked battery, of course they only tested 2 group 48 batteries, I think #2 was the Diehard Gold.

Sear just introduced a new Group 48 Diehard Gold AGM battery. Specs not available at the website, but it has 760CCA and a Reserve Capacity of 120 minutes.  Sears Item# 02850748000, lists for $189.99 so wait for a coupon or sale.

The advantage to going with a Walmart or even a Autozone battery is that the warranty is good everywhere! Easy to find those stores when traveling.

Back