• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

going diesel

graffixx

Ok guys my avy is tired needs a heart transplant I have built a 1993 6.5 turbo diesel to put in it and I am not sure what to do with the transmission  I know it is electronic controlled. does snyone have any idea how to control it without spending 850.00 on a stand alone controller ( the diesel is stand alone  and does not use a pcm of any type

Graffix: I think you would be much better off with doing a rebuild on the 5.3 ratherthan trying to put the diesel in. Your electrical connections alone are going to be a nightmare. The BCM and the ECM need to communicate for a lot of things. The diesel conversion packages are out there but not cheap. I would investigate this before attempting this. The diesel has a lot higher torque pulses and I think you would have to go with a 4L85 transmission that has been beefed up (standard in the 2500). The 4L60 will break behind the diesel. If you do the conversion show us pics.

Avalon

There was a member here who turned his 2500 (with the 4L80 transmission) into a Duramax-based Avalanche.

The '93 6.5L engine has - IIRC - around 350-400 ft-lb of torque, right?  (I think it has something like 190 HP.)

If that's the case, your 4L60 tranny will quickly die out.  You'll want the 4L80 like in the H1.

Also you're talking about converting an electroncially controlled system to a mechanical one. 

I'm not sure...

...sounds like a challenge!!  >:D

If you don't mind the headaches of tunning, tunning and re-tunning, then scrapping half of the work done and re-do it again...I'd say go for it.  Many challanges ahead for someone doing any major change to the factory setup...I know...I am experienced in that field.  Trust me...VERY expensive and time consuming.  I'm not saying it's not worth it...just be prepared. :E: :E: :E:

ms38w said:
...Many challanges ahead for someone doing any major change to the factory setup...I know...I am experienced in that field.  Trust me...VERY expensive and time consuming.  I'm not saying it's not worth it...just be prepared...

What this guy said LOL

Back