• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

P0449 Evap Vent Solenoid

brianm

2007 Avy gave me a check engine light with P0449 code yesterday.  Took it to the local Advanced Auto for a code read.  Avy has 74xxx miles on it and this is the second time I have had the same issue.  First time it had 36662 and GM was gracious enough to "goodwill" the repair since it was out of warranty.  This time I called the dealer and they said the diagnosis and repair on this item was going to be around $300.  After doing a little searching here and elsewhere on the web I decided to swap out the Evap Vent Solenoid myself.  Part was $36 from the dealer and took a total of 20 minutes to do the swap with a flat head screwdriver.  Took as long to take down the spare tire and move it out of the way as it did to swap the part.  Cleared the code and everything is good to go. 

Just wanted to report back to everyone here for future reference.  There is really only two things this P0449 code can be either the vent or purge solenoid.  Each part is about $40 and takes 20 minutes to fix.  Start with the vent solenoid as it seems to be the culprit about 95% of the time this code is thrown.

Glad ya got it fixed and thanks for the info.

P0449 was the code I got also, and it was the Vent solenoid as well.  I though it was a shot in the dark but it proved to be correct.  My guess is this is going to happen to most people who own Av's.

:8:  :8:

Arg! I had this part fail around 40,000 miles. Well, Monday my truck threw the same code (have about 90,000 miles now). The last time it happened, I ended up spending $80 to find out the problem, $95 for the part from the dealership, and then another $150+ for the labor  :E:  :E:

This time however, I spent $30 on a basic reader, found the codes myself, and now I'm looking at just spending the $25 on the part and replacing it myself. There's a TSB regarding a new 'kit' that moves the filter or something like that but it's still no guarantee it fixes the issue and on top of that for the extra cost (~$150) it would end up being cheaper to replace the regular vent a few more times for the life of the truck. I'm now torn with whether I want to do the kit or stick with the cheap part.

Seriously GM, why oh why do we all have to put up with this!! If this is truly a maintenance item that lasts 30-60,000 miles, maybe it should be included in the manual, no? From what I've found searching online is that this is a very common issue with GM vehicles, primarily their SUV/Trucks.

07 avy with 55k also need a new vent solenoid, dealer says this is not part of the emission warranty.

I have just had the heated windsheild washer fluid recall done,  also interior door handles replaced for the recall because the parts are DEFFECTIVE.  Why dont they have a recall for this vent solenoid or at least take care of the problem since sooo many avy's have this problem!!

cost me 123$ for the dealer to tell me something i already knew!!

love the truck but HATE the dealers!!! GM get your poop together!

drk_night07 said:
Why dont they have a recall for this vent solenoid or at least take care of the problem since sooo many avy's have this problem!!

It's easy money for them and it's an issue that goes back 15 years if not more...  :rolleyes:

It's funny, with the spare tire still up and in the way it still only took me 5 minutes to change.  Everyone is right, this is a cash cow for GM.  But boards like this one help a great deal.  Good Job Everyone.

highvelocity, 

where did you order the vent solenoid from and how much did it cost? i have seen several post about this and the prices all very... will be changing mine out soon so that stupid check engine light goes off and my remote start will work before winter. thx

drk_night07

Pictures
IMG_0147.JPG

IMG_0148.JPG

IMG_0149.JPG

IMG_0150.JPG

IMG_0151.JPG

Hope this helps someone looking for this defunct equipment giving errors. P0445 -  ...
...  Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Shorted

P0449 - EVAP Canister Vent Solenoid Valve Control Circuit

I replaced the part that has the blue O-ring on it the Valve. but you have to buy both They come as a set (GM P/N#25932571)Valve Solenoid Electrovalve cost $27.45 takes all of 5 min to take off and put the new one on.

No service manual, Just went off the the P codes checked the connections with a multimeter with them attached to the solenoid . The solenoid by the engine read 12volts took it off and cleaned it anyway applied 12 volts to the solenoid and watched and listened to it function , Moved on to the solenoid in the rear by the gas tank checked the voltage with the solenoid attached and got 0 volts disconnected the solenoid  and checked the voltage got 12 volts, applied 12volts to the solenoid and the part did not move or do anything. (y)  This is the culprit!!! (y)  I have since changed three of these for three of my friends that have avalanches and the CEL has not been back. Everyone kept telling them to change the gas cap but our trucks only have 70k on them. To sum it up if you get a P445 or P449 and CEL with tighten gas cap. You can take it to the bank it either one of two solenoids the one up front by the engine or the one by the gas tank has burned out. Parts guy said they keep them in stock Wink Wink so I think chevy knows about this defect. Looks to me that if you keep the truck long enough you will have to replace it because their is 12 volts applied to the solenoid while the truck is running to keep the solenoid closed because it is a normally open solenoid then when the truck is off it opens which seems the switch should be normally closed and have the ECM open it before and after a Run cycle instead of full on closed position while running. Chevy Dealerships wants to charge $99.00 Diagnostic fee and waive it if you have your truck fixed with them for a  $27.00 part. Which as you see at the begging of this thread "Dropped $100+ at the Dealership." When You can fix yourself for $27.00 and your own labor. If you can change a car Battery this task is just that easy.

I have an 07 with 67XXX miles that's throwing the same code...come's on/off as it pleases for various lengths of time with no real rhyme/reason so I think I'm going to go with the trend and replace the vent solenoid to see if that fixes the problem...

do I need to pick-up a haynes manual in advance, or is this really as simple as changing a battery as some have suggested on the various threads about this code?

Do any of you guys have the part number that you used for the 07 AV?  I called the local chevy dealer to see if they had the part in stock, describing it as the Evap Vent Valve, and he proceeded to tell me that I would need a new valve (74.33), a new wire harness (44.27), and a new pin (.03)...are they trying to rip me off?  I've seen numerous posts that have the price of the part at a maximum of $50...

Also, where exactly is the part located?  I read another thread that referenced removing the filler housing to access the part, but others that have mentioned a need to drop the spare...which is it?

well, it's done!

It certainly wasn't quite as easy as some have mentioned....took about 3.5 hours...with a few breaks for beers in between...

To clarify the part numbers you need are:
Vent #20995472 ($71.xx)
Harness #19257603 (31.xx)

And to go along with it, there is a TSB you should reference (TSB #09-06-04-028C) which applies to all 2007-2010 AV's.

I'm not sure what year the pictures are from that are shown in the posts above, and various other threads, but that was not what was factory installed on my 07 (first digit of the vin=3).  Also, the parts you will be replacing is the entire unit, a hose that runs up to and attaches near the filler housing, and a hose that runs into the EVAP canister which is mounted near the rear of the gas tank, in front of the differential.  The new harness really seems to be another way for GM to nickle and dime us...my old one would have reached just fine, but they changed the connector forcing us to waste another $31.

you MUST drop the spare tire....I don't care how thin/double jointed you are, there's no way in hell you're going to reach it with the tire in place...also, if you're of above average build (i.e. can't crawl under the differential with the truck on the ground) then you're going to have to jack it up.

Otherwise it really wasn't too bad to do...the only tools you really need are a socket set and maybe a pair of needle nose pliers (getting the old hose to disconnect from the evap canister was a B...I actually had to remove a couple bolts that mounted the evap canister to the body in order to lower it a little...my dual exhaust was the biggest obstacle, but there is a heat shield that also was a PITA to get around, and it was only two bolts to lower it)...the TSB does reference drilling a hole in the filler housing, and installing a pin (#10121502) to hold the new CVS valve in place but the parts guy at the dealer just gave me an extra zip tie and told me not to waste my time.

Afterwards I pulled the battery cable to reset the code, and so far after 8-9 start cycles and 100+ miles the light hasn't come back...fingers crossed.

branx86 could you repost or email me the pics? They don't show up and I have a feeling they are exactly what I'm looking for. I tried to email you but it wouldn't let me so I thought I'd post here

Carbon Denali said:
branx86 could you repost or email me the pics? They don't show up and I have a feeling they are exactly what I'm looking for. I tried to email you but it wouldn't let me so I thought I'd post here

think you are outta luck on that.  This thread is 2 years old...and thats when he was last active

yea guys having the same problem over here , threw a engine light , remote start wont work , my buddy ran the code says evap vent solenoid , he told me its easy to do $ 40  part , etc.....  only got 32k on my 08 .  i went to my local auto zone, and the "kid" behind  the counter cant find the part,  is it dealer only or some other parts place gonna have it ?    anybody with pics of this part  so i dont go into this blind?  thanx  :help:

thanks  for the pic HenryJ , i went to a chevy dealer the other day , and the guy askes for the vin# so i get the right solenoid , which i was working and didnt have my truck or my reg to give him , so i ask for a ballpark price what its gonna be when i come back .  he tells me $71 for the part ,and $23 for the wiring harness adaptor , and says it comes with a new vent tube  to redo from the neck ,  i ask him about the TSB and he says hes aware of the problem and tells me its a design flaw, and this kit fixes it ,  so i ask why isnt it a recall if its a design flaw and he basically laughs an says it wont happen. WTF ? no recall on a design flaw that we gotta pay to fix ?? thats some serious BS  :E:

Recalls are usually required and directed by the NHTSA. Generally a recall is based upon a safety hazard. While this was a poorly located and designed part, the majority were able to make it past the warranty period. Bottom line is that if they can get beyond warranty with acceptable losses...they win.
If they really did spend the time and money to build the perfect vehicle, I doubt that we would be willing to pay the price.
Improve upon the weakness you find for the terrain and driving style that you have. Make your own "perfect vehicle".

Thanks Henry J for the part #. I just ordered the part from Rock Auto and saved a bunch of money! It was $21.58 including shipping. Such a deal!  (y)

well I went to the dealer and got the "kit" that fixes the problem. The "kit"  comes in a big box , has a new vent tube from the tank to the solenoid, then from the solenoid , is another tube that goes up toward the fuel neck , now with this new setup u  need the jumper wire.  you definately need to drop the spare tire, because u need to change the bracket that holds the solenoid. the whole process toook about an hour , need a 10mm socket or a wrench , wire snips , some extra wire ties and a small flat head screwdriver  basically just to help push the clip in to get the vent tube off the tank. sorry  i didnt think to take pics untill after i was done.  the kit costs $110

Back