• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Top 5 Most-Stolen Vehicles

CntrySngr72

SM 2007
Well...I wasn't sure where to put this topic, so move if needed.

Anyway, imagine my surprise when I opened this link and the first picture was an Avalanche!!

#5 Chevy Avalanche
#4 Dodge Charger
#3 Chevy Silverado
#2 Ford F250 crew cab 4x4
#1 Cadillac Escalade

I didn't think AVs would be that high on the list

Me either.  I was shocked when i heard that on the news this afternoon.

The actual report from the Highway Loss Data Institute ranks the vehicles' "Theft claim" frequency, not how often they are stolen. This data is for the last 3 model years (2006-2009). This report covers not only total theft of the vehicle, but also claims for theft of property or parts. Actual report

The data for the Avalanche list the theft frequency of 7.4 claims per 1000 insured vehicles, with an average claim of $7571. I don't know of many 06 to 09 Avs valued at $7571, so there are a lot of claims for theft of property mixed in there.

All of the stories on CNN, FOX, etc. are nothing but sensationalism, geared towards causing panic. Everybody reads "stolen" and they panic, don't buy this or don't buy that. SUVs and trucks are always going to be high on the list for claim frequency, not because they are stolen more often (they're not), but because owners use their trucks/SUvs to do things--whether it be for work (tools), recreation (high dollar toys) or hauling-- and things end up getting stolen from the vehicle.

Back