• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

First service coming up - jack recommendation?

kraz

Hi All,

Going to need to jack up the Avy for rotation and an oil change shortly.  This is the biggest vehicle I will have serviced.  I have a nice set of 6 ton Jack Stands that I bought to be safe when working on my Honda Accord and my Jeep Liberty many moons ago, but I'm concerned on my jack.  It's a $70 duralast that bleeds oil every time I lift anything bigger.  I think it's time for a new floor jack, personally, but everything looks so cheap or is reviewed to be a piece of crap.  I'm looking for recommendations.

Also, HOW do you guys typically jack up your Avys?  I assume the differential case is a good rear center point but what should I target for jacking up the front in the middle?  Or should i not do that and instead do one side at a time on the frame?

Thanks in advance.

kraz

one side at a time...

JAck at frame or under shock mount on lower control arm in front.
Jack at axle or frame in rear..

Need 3 ton min jack
Need 20" lift min to get tire off ground if jacking from frame

At least 3 ton floor jack?.

More comfortable with 4

Just sayin

Only use the stock service jack in the specific jacking point when working on a wheel or brake with jack stand backup as a safety.

All other times for inspection and service which involve getting under the vehicle, easier to use Rhino Maxx ramps which are quick to setup inherently safe and give plenty of clearance and unrestricted access to the whole underbelly of the vehicle.

i would NOT use my stock jack unless my life depended on it.... i use a 3 ton craftsman floor jack when working on my av unless on the side of the road if you have access to a floor jack i would use it before i used the stock one...
when i go camping or any time i know im going to be gone a while i throw my jack in the back... imo the stock one is too small and under-stable to rely on especially when removing the wheels

wyotonka said:
i would NOT use my stock jack unless my life depended on it.... i use a 3 ton craftsman floor jack when working on my av unless on the side of the road if you have access to a floor jack i would use it before i used the stock one...
when i go camping or any time i know im going to be gone a while i throw my jack in the back... imo the stock one is too small and under-stable to rely on especially when removing the wheels

No sh.t!!! Those things be ok for emergency tire change....but not much else.

Service jacks are just as dependable if used properly at the correct lift points and for what they are intended. They are not intended to support a vehicle for someone to crawl under it or keep it suspended for repair work....that's why you support on jack stands or ramps if you intend to pull tires or get under the vehicle. And if you do something stupid with a hydraulic jack you can just as easily kill yourself. Lift the rear pumpkin without chocking the front wheels and the car can roll onto you, lift on the wrong position on the unit body and you'll need a frame alignment or on the wrong suspension component and need repairs or wheel alignment, etc. My floor jacks are still handy for lifting decks and leveling floors.

Other than 3K oil and filter changes, grease two zerk fittings and underbelly inspection for leaks or damage, I have no need to get under the vehicle anyway and ramps are quicker and easier to use for this purpose. My days of doing major repairs are gone, trade vehicles before the drive train warranty expires. And no way I'm cranking that trolley to get the spare and jacking the car to change a flat on the side of the road....that's what the OnStar button is for.....and in a life threatening situation I'd rather shred the tire and destroy the wheel or sacrifice the vehicle altogether......no intention of being a sitting duck for some drunk, sleepy driver or moron who is texting or putting on makeup to slam into you at 65 mph......saw it once on IS 95, something you don't forget, there was dismembered "pieces" of people on the roadway.

You are a braver man than me, I would not even use the bottle jack to change a tire.

Didn't trust the one on my jeep and don't trust the one on my av... I have always seen those as something that was skimped on and would rather lift my floor jack and throw 2 jack stands in the back and have peace of mind knowing I'm prepared

I would also feel more comfortable changing a tire on the side of the road than using that factory jack...

Thomcat said:
Service jacks are just as dependable if used properly at the correct lift points and for what they are intended. They are not intended to support a vehicle for someone to crawl under it or keep it suspended for repair work....that's why you support on jack stands or ramps if you intend to pull tires or get under the vehicle. And if you do something stupid with a hydraulic jack you can just as easily kill yourself. Lift the rear pumpkin without chocking the front wheels and the car can roll onto you, lift on the wrong position on the unit body and you'll need a frame alignment or on the wrong suspension component and need repairs or wheel alignment, etc. My floor jacks are still handy for lifting decks and leveling floors.

Other than 3K oil and filter changes, grease two zerk fittings and underbelly inspection for leaks or damage, I have no need to get under the vehicle anyway and ramps are quicker and easier to use for this purpose. My days of doing major repairs are gone, trade vehicles before the drive train warranty expires. And no way I'm cranking that trolley to get the spare and jacking the car to change a flat on the side of the road....that's what the OnStar button is for.....and in a life threatening situation I'd rather shred the tire and destroy the wheel or sacrifice the vehicle altogether......no intention of being a sitting duck for some drunk, sleepy driver or moron who is texting or putting on makeup to slam into you at 65 mph......saw it once on IS 95, something you don't forget, there was dismembered "pieces" of people on the roadway.

Always seemed easier to me to simply roll out my floor jack than mess around with ramps. Always rather disliked those things, actually.

Yeah I could tell ya a story about a friend that was using ramps. You won't catch me under 7,000 pound truck on ramps only time I'll get under it is with 2 floor jacks.

Stay away from the so called SUV quick up jacks.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-2-1-4-ton-floor-jack/p-00950523000P?prdNo=8&blockNo=8&blockType=G8

Guess this means I've been lucky.  The only time I've used a jack (the stock one, BTW) was changing tires, and changing brake pads/rotors.  Not really under the AV.

I have used tire chocks though to keep the AV from rolling.  I can fit under the AV without lifting it (stock height!) to change the oil and oil filter, which is how I do it (again with the chocks).

Don't buy one @ Sears. they suck.  Craftsman has gone downhill big time. total junk. made in CHINA..  I got one for Christmas and it leaked all the fluid out before I even opened the box..  piece of crap.

I use a 3 ton floor jack, not sure on the make, its orange if that helps......... I dont know hahaha. I want to get a new one that lifts higher. Right now I am using some lifting blocks to be able to lift the truck higher. The jack is old though, what I have noticed is that it very gradually lowered back down, not sure why

09chevyavy said:
I use a 3 ton floor jack, not sure on the make, its orange if that helps......... I dont know hahaha. I want to get a new one that lifts higher. Right now I am using some lifting blocks to be able to lift the truck higher. The jack is old though, what I have noticed is that it very gradually lowered back down, not sure why
because its old  :laugh:

but i know what you mean about craftsman they were going downhill when i worked at sears (the one here wont replace a ratchet if its broke just put in a rebuild kit and if that doesnt work you have to buy a new one  :E: )  mine is about 4 yrs old though and still does great  (y)

09chevyavy said:

Leaky seals. If you continue to use it make damn sure you use jack stands.

I use the 3.5 ton Michelin truck jack and bought a couple of matching jack stands, and got the Truck Ramps (12 ton) at the same time. Just waited for Canadian Tire to sell on sale and all done. Not that expense when they put them on sale. Now I can choose method for all sorts of maintenance activity. Saved lots on oils change, lub jobs, inspection & even installed my Oil pan heater (for winter). Always hated that stupid Block heater GM sells - doesn't even work until -18 degrees  (n) - that's a different story.

ltxi said:
Leaky seals. If you continue to use it make damn sure you use jack stands.
ALWAYS use jack stands... i dont care if i paid 10grand for a jack. there is just to much that can go wrong in a heartbeat. A kid that i went to school with had his camaro fall on him while working on it, ever since then its drilled into your head in auto classes here. Even if its only up for a second.

Yeah I use jack stands, I want to go get another set today from harbor frieght. But I want taller ones, so I am thinking about maybe spending some money and getting two sets of tall 6 ton jacks.

Also, how can I replace the seals in it so it wont leak anymore

Quick story....hope you guys learn from it....Blew a tire on a major hwy in NJ. 20 degree night only wearing a suit.  Used the standard equip bottle jack from GM.  First the tire release cable was frozen.  Keep that thing lubed especially if salt/sand is used on your roads.  I chocked the front left tire to change right rear flat.  The bottle jack was never used before...brand new!  Jacked up the truck under the frame in front of right rear tire.  Put spare tire onto studs...turned to reach for lug nuts....bottle jack exploded!  The aluminum side casing split like a melon!  The top two studs caught the spare which was now wedged between the rear fender and the hub.  If not, I may have lost a limb!  The truck frame is now 4" off the ground barely held up by the wedged tire.  With frozen fingers and toes, walked 1/2 mile to an auto parts store...bought a hydraulic jack with travel case.  Walked back to truck...couldn't get the new jack under the frame (need another 1/2" clearance). Asked the 7/11 clerk to come outside and roll the new jack under the frame while I lifted the truck.  Now, that jack never leaves my truck!  I also carry gloves and an old ski jacket in the truck during the winter.  Young, dumb and thought I was tough.  :beating:

(n) that is why i wont use the stock jack.... **** those things Glad you are ok  (y) if you still have the jack i would send a pic to gm and maybe they will start putting something better in with enough reports... better than the scissor lift style my jeep had though  (n)

Back