Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "XM Lock", "XM Locked", or "XM Theftlocked" Issue Resolved!  (Read 9867 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

GXP25

  • New Member
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2

I am sure most of you at one point in time have purchased a used XM module from a junkyard. Or have swapped units from one vehicle to another, only to encounter one of the above error messages.

A trip to the dealer has proven unsuccessful and programming the used module's VIN number into the BCM is not the correct approach to take. Yes, the Tech 2 is useless in this aspect.

This past Wednesday, I went to the dealership to hopefully get the module reprogrammed. My dealer was very willing to reprogram the module (~$45 fee) but was unable to. A call to GM returned that once the module is programmed, it cannot be reprogrammed. While this is true, it does not mean that the module's EEPROM cannot be cleared, thus paving the way for a VIN relearn.

After hearing the above from my dealer, I stuck around and attempted to get in touch with the "Master Corvette Mechanic" named Joe Malo. The guy cannot even be reached and a guy I spoke with over the phone did not want to hear any of it. Apparently, Joe Malo was "too busy with what he's doing at the moment." All I wanted was for the two dealerships to speak to each other. Oh well.

So, I got home and Google'd my ass off again trying to find some information/a solution. I ended up finding a Chevy Avalanche forum where user SpottyJ linked to another forum about a possible solution. It was a user named 98Blackss who eventually found a solution. He was able to get a radio service center to reflash the unit. So a few PMs later and I was in touch with the service center and overnighted my unit. Like 98Blackss, I was warned by the service center that this was not a guaranteed fix. I agreed and understood any limitations.

They received the unit Thursday. I called Friday and paid the fee plus overnight Saturday delivery. After receiving my unit today and testing it out, the "XM Locked" message on the NAV screen is gone!

I spoke with a lead engineer named "Kevin" on Thursday and he said they would have no problem with "fixing" these units.

The company's name is Instrument Sales and Service, Inc. and they are located in Kent, WA. Their telephone number is 1 (800) 666-5469 and their website is http://www.instrumentsales.com.

You would obviously have to get in contact with them before sending in your unit.

The test bench fee is $35. This service reflashes the module and then tests on the Alpha, which is apparently setup to make sure the module is communicating with all the XM satellites. This fee may or may not change depending on the demand. So it would probably be best to call and inquire.

Overall, I am very satisfied with their service and I would definitely do business with them again. The company was very professional, very knowledgeable, and very helpful with this matter. I would highly recommend them to anyone (not that there's another known choice out there, lol).

A picture of my NAV screen after turning on the vehicle:



I do not have an all-in-one (OnStar, GPS, and XM) antenna yet so I cannot test out the previews. My antenna is simply OnStar and GPS. The good thing is that "XM Locked" is gone!

The packaging that I received the unit in is very professional! Their overnight shipping price was also very reasonable ($15 for standard overnight, $20 for overnight Saturday delivery). Considering that I sent the module wrapped in bubble wrap and squeezed into a USPS overnight envelope.



Start making calls Monday and good luck!  :thumbsup:
Logged

SpottyJ

  • CAFCNA Global Moderator
  • Full Member
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2,972
  • This is SpottyJ
    • My Album

Sent my 2004 XM unit for EEPROM re-flash.  Was re-flashed and sent back in just a few days.  $35 for bench work and $10 or $15 for shipping.  Very happy with service.


So bottom line, after much research, the XM unit becomes VIN matched, so to use a "used" XM unit in another vehicle it must be re-flashed.  Mine works well now. 

My thanks to GXP25  :thumbsup:
Logged
2013 LT/Z-71 (retired a 2003 Z-71)

323fever

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 74

does the unit matter, i have a 2din eclipse screen that has been locked
Logged
2002 Chevy Avalanche 2wd
brown, 03 up dash conversion and center console, SS engine covers, Airaid filter

SpottyJ

  • CAFCNA Global Moderator
  • Full Member
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2,972
  • This is SpottyJ
    • My Album

does the unit matter, i have a 2din eclipse screen that has been locked

Not sure what you are asking.

My XM unit/box (behind glovebox) was locked, not the head-unit.  Although the head-unit on 2003 and up are VIN matched as well.
Logged
2013 LT/Z-71 (retired a 2003 Z-71)

Electrichorseman

  • New Member
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1

I'd like to thank GXP25 for making this post. I'm having the same problem with my attempt to add XM to my 2004 Envoy and  was losing my mind trying to figure it out when a Google search of the words "XM Lock" brought me here.  I plan on calling ISS today and discuss the issue.

Regards,
Ken C.
Logged

MS03 2500

  • CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member
  • Full Member
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 37,221

:welcome: to the club, glad you got your issue fixed. :thumbsup:
Logged
2003 2500
Pages: [1]   Go Up
 

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 24 queries.