• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Looking for some Oregon help doing a few MODS.

TheArsenal33

SM 2011
I apologize if this is in the wrong spot but I wanted to keep it local. I think this is only my second or third post but i'm on here all the time, and wanted to thank all of you for all the great info this site has provided over the last year or so.
I moved to Oregon last July and have been stocking up on a few MODS for my Avy since then. But, since i've moved here i have not met any engine heads like I have in previous duty stations around the country-(Coast Guard) I'm looking for anyone that has some knowledge and a decient work space and would be interested in doing a few projects in the next couple months.
I can supply:
      1. Great food, all the beer/soda you can drink.
      2. Limited amount of tools/knowledge - :beating: Learning more everyday abt the AV's
      3. A helping hand anytime you would like to do some work on your truck.

I can't supply:
      1. A nice garage to work in. I have one, but not big or comfortable enough.
      2. Extra money for a shop to over-charge me for doing these mid-level jobs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If I get any reply's I will send you the list of stuff I have gotten over the last year and we can go from there. Would also be interested to see what you have planned for your Av and I will be looking forward to repaying this favor.

Thanks,
Brian

Thanks...Prob should have just included it in the original post.
    1. Leveling Kit.
    2. CAI
    3. Cat-Back. Went with the Corsa.
    4. Have some paint flake on front Bowtie. Would like to pull it off and paint it. Have paint.
    5. Have a minor scratch in tailgate. Have paint.

I may be forgetting a few as its late and I'm at work.
Should also include that traveling isn't an issue as I'm in North Bend and will have to travel to meet anyone.
Can easily grab a hotel if their are a few things on each truck to do.
Can also supply most of my own tools.

Oh Man!  I would love to help.  And could even provide a place to do it with all the tools.  But I'm on my way out - moving next week.  Why couldn't you have asked a couple weeks ago?

Anyways,

1. Leveling kit - 2 guys & 2 hrs.  Pretty easy to do.  Need 2 jacks - 1 for the truck and 1 for the suspension.  Metric wrenchs and most common hand tools.  Check out my thread: Mod Party! Sun, March 2!
  2. CAI - Easy.  1 hr tops.  Basic tools.  Recycle the stock airbox because no-one wants to buy those things on eBay or Craigslist.
  3. Cat-Back - Sorry, dunno how to do this one but I would suspect just bolt on.  I had FlowMaster F40 Duals added to mine.  In fact, it's funny - most of the Oregon people have Duals!
  4. Paint Bowtie - 1 word: Duplicolor.  Takes 5 mins per hour for a full day.  Remove Bowtie.  Sand.  Paint.  Wait 1 hr (Drink a beer).  Paint.  Wait 1 hr (Drink a beer).  Paint.  Wait 1 hr (Drink a beer).  Repeat last 2 steps until you run out of paint.  (Buy more beer to last as long as the paint.)  BTW, may want to paint other components at the same time - Engine cover, radiator cover, fuse box cover, rear bowtie, etc.  Use plastic primer paint on those first.
  5. Tailgate Scratch - Try polishing compond first.  It that doesn't get the scratch out, then LIGHTLY cover with touch-up paint.  Wait 1 hr.  (Drink a beer.)  Then using polishing compound over the whole area again.  Do it by hand - not a polishing machine.  Use lots of compound.

Ahhh man, that's a huge bummer! Sounds like we would have had a good time.
Besides yourself it doesn't look like anyone is down for a little beer/MOD GTG.
I will keep collecting new parts for the AVy until someones else is ready to do some projects.
Well, thanks for all the handy info though. Have a safe trip.
By the way...I travel alot with my job and was curious as to where you're heading.
Maybe we could shoot the sh*t sometime.
If anyone else still wants to do this, just reply and we'll get the ball rollin.
      Thanks again chAVey, have a safe trip.
          -Brian

I don't know where North Bend is, is that in central oregon?  If you want to come up my way, I'm sure Tom and I can help you with the exhaust.  All the other stuff is easy.  Let me know.  I'm south of seattle by 25 miles. let me know

Oh wow, that's great! Its a bit of a hike but I've wanted to see Seattle anyway. North Bend is in South Western OR. Mapquest has Seattle at about 6.5 hours North of me, but your South of Seattle and its traffic (I hope)
Do you think we can do all that stuff in one day? I can get there the night before and grab a hotel so we can start early.
Is there a timeframe when you guys will be available? I was thinking sometime in late May, or anytime in June or July. My work schedule is nuts until the last week of this month.

TheArsenal33 said:
. . . By the way...I travel alot with my job and was curious as to where you're heading. . . .

Austin, Texas!  But I'll still be online.  In fact, I'm actually leaving my AV here for now and will be back in late-June to pick it up.  But that trip will be a turn-n-burn.  If it works out timing wise, I'm still up for helping (although most of my tools will probably be in Tx by then).

Texas, what a climate change! Wet and cool to dry and hot.
Have fun on the drive, I've done the cross-country thing 5 times now and can't wait to do it again.
I hope I can GTG with heine12oz (or anyone else) before late June but if not, let me know if you have the time.

Brian.
The Oregon CLAN should have a  MOD GTG in North Bend. How about it, we give him the welcome he deserves. 
In July it will be a year that my AVY adopted me.
The mod bug came with it. I went to my first GTG at Cabela?s in Washington, met some great people at the GTG who love to mod AVY?s and help others.
I would like to through my name in to help. I live about 30 miles south of Portland.
If things work out I could be there. I have tools, jacks, and two pair of jack stands just short on space. Willing to get dirty, spill some blood, and learn how a moder curses.
North Bend/Coos Bay is beautiful place to be station on the Oregon coast.
Brian thanks for serving my gratitude goes out to you and your family.
THANK YOU.
:welcome: To Oregon
JV

Wow! A wonderful welcome that would would be JVZL1!
I've had the MOD bug for the AVy before i could even afford one, so I saved and saved. After saving I could finally put a good down payment down and trade in the old Silverado to get a decient payment plan. Anyway, trying to make a long story short, I've had the AVy for almost 2 years now and its taken me this long to gather a good amount of projects  to do for this type of occosian. I've read about all thoes GTG's in the past and they sounded like a blast!
That's the story.
Would love to have you at my place to do these projects along with anyone else that wants to join us. Space may be an issue. I have room for a couple trucks in the driveway but its not level. It has a slight up-hill lean to it and may not be safe to jack-up a truck. I do have a 2-car paved carport that is level but may be a pain to work in. A friend of mine would prob be willing to host us at his place (Coos Bay). Much bigger drive way with 2 car garage. Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome and I look forward to hearing from you.

Edit: BV

TheArsenal33
I've  talked to a coworker he just rented a place between Salem and McMinnville.
It has a good size open bay shop easily you could work on two AVY?s at once.
So if you would be willing to make a trip I will try and lock down a couple
of dates to meet on a Saturday.
It would be nice if a couple of Mod experts would guide two lost souls and keep us SAFE.
If it works out for me I would like to install some LED mods.
Should have dates by the end of the week.
JV

That all sounds good to me. The drive would be no problem.  (y)
If your looking at Saturday's, the 29th of this month would be the earliest I can make it.
June would work for me too, the earlier I know dates the easier it will be for me to make sure I don't work.

TheArsenal33

Will Saturday June 26th work for you.
JV

June 26th would be tough for me to make, I work until 6am that morning. Sunday the 27th would be better.
If you guys can't do it on Sunday I will make arrangements to get that shift covered because workin on the Av is way more important then saving lives.... :kidding: Just make it official and I will make sure I'm there be it that Sat or Sun.

-Brian

awesome idea's guys.  Keep it up.  I most likely won't be able to make the 7 hour drive to come see you, but I for sure can give you any advice or info that I have on all of those mods.  the only one that I don't have experience in is the exhaust.  Everything else I have done and can help with.  I can talk to you over the phone or we can do it here.  Let me know what questions you have on the mods to start.

TheArsenal33 said:
June 26th would be tough for me to make, I work until 6am that morning. Sunday the 27th would be better.
If you guys can't do it on Sunday I will make arrangements to get that shift covered because workin on the Av is way more important then saving lives.... :kidding: Just make it official and I will make sure I'm there be it that Sat or Sun.

-Brian
Email me and let's talk the date over.
JV

Ooops...guess i need 2 check n more.  but this work thang, i tell ya.  The 26th weekend is double duty...weddin' anniversary & friends from Houston comin' n.

Welcome...& i will keep ya posted on if anythangs r happenin' here.  they will b when Spring has Sprung. ;-)

JV, 
My June schedule has not come out yet.  (n)
It should be out in the next couple days.
I will shoot you an email with all my available dates as soon as I have them.

heine12oz said:
awesome idea's guys.  Keep it up.  I most likely won't be able to make the 7 hour drive to come see you, but I for sure can give you any advice or info that I have on all of those mods.  the only one that I don't have experience in is the exhaust.  Everything else I have done and can help with.  I can talk to you over the phone or we can do it here.  Let me know what questions you have on the mods to start.

Thanks Heine,
I bet you'll hear from us. The exhaust is my biggest worry too. Don't know who all is gonna show up, but for most of the stuff its just nice to have a second set of eyes and hands. I'm probably going to do the Bowtie and Billet grill in the next week or so at my house. (Grill got delayed again/Went with drop-in K&N instead of CAI) But I will definitely need some help with the Leveling Kit and Cat-back from JV; and hopefully a few others. We'll keep ya in the loop on when were GTG. Thanks again.
- Brian

Here's the installation instructions on a corsa exhaust. Looks like the hardest part is cutting the exhaust if you have nothing to cut it with...LOL!

http://www.corsaperf.com/media/pdf/INS5071.pdf

TheArsenal33,
If you can make the June 26th work that would be the best.
We work nights so a Sunday would not work. You understand,
:cheers:,BBQ,no rest :E: work :laugh:
The later in the Summer it gets harder to have weekends open.
This would be a great GTG if we can also get some GURU's
to keep us safe.
JV

JV,
Trying to get my June 25th nightshift covered. I should know by tomorrow night.
You said the shop we are going to use is between Salem and McMinnville, and I believe I may need an alignment after we do the Leveling kit, I was wondering which town is closer so I can look up a shop.
-Brian

Back