• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Battery keeps Dying

beav626

Had some work done on the truck today and when I got home she sat for a few hours. I went to play with the radio and the battery died on me. I assume the shop today left the lights or something on to drain it.

Earlier in the week I left the cargo lights on and that drained the battery. (no auto shut off for those?)

once I jump it and driver her my Volts are reading just over the 14 mark. ( I assume my alternator is good)

Im charging the battery right now and will take it to the shop to see what they say about the battery tomorrow.

Any Suggestions? Am I safe with assuming its just the battery? Duralast Goldtop

Came with the truck when I bought it.

Do you know how old the battery is.  ???

The worst thing you can do is drain the battery.

I do not think that Duralast Goldtop came stock.  :cool:  (y)

It is an aftermarket battery. It looks good and starts strong when it starts. I would assume 1-2 years old
I think I did drain it monday so I will see how the charge tonight is and if that don't work I will go to napa tomorrow

2 Words Yellow Top (y)

Earlier in the week I left the cargo lights on and that drained the battery. (no auto shut off for those?)

My 2002 AV shuts off the cargo light after about 20 min. If GM forgot this feature when redesigning the electric system in 2003 this is a step backwards (n)

2 Words Yellow Top Thumbs up!

Starting the 5.3 needs a lot of power! I had some problems starting my AV in the winter 3 years ago. So I bought a yellow top and put my old battery in my garage. Now after 3 years of waiting in the garage this old battery is still strong enough to start the 4.0HO of my Jeep Cherokee.

It looks good and starts strong when it starts. I would assume 1-2 years old
Do you mean its all or nothing? Then it can be a bad contact. Check the battery terminals!

Schelbi said:
My 2002 AV shuts off the cargo light after about 20 min. If GM forgot this feature when redesigning the electric system in 2003 this is a step backwards (n)

This is weird, I wonder if somemthig else is wrong or I got a Tuesday Car???

Update:
Took the battery off the chgarger and it took a good charge, Put in my baby nad she powers up and all readings are 100%

I will still go by a shop today and let them load test everything.

update #2

After getting ready for work, I got in the truck and no go-the battery was already dead. I threw it in my other car and will take the battery to a shop this monring.

Yup they don't fix themselves, have it tested.

I think your problem is it won't hold a charge.

I have the same battery. Duralast Gold 800 amps/1000 CC amps  I replaced my stock after 3 years.  My Duralast lasted until yesterday. During this last winter the truck sat a lot in the garage. Went dead a couple of times and I put it on fast charge for an instant start. Once a battery starts this cycle of dying/charging it's on it's way out. I took mine back to AutoZone. They prorated the price and I got a great deal on a new one. The price on a new Duralast Gold was $105.99 on sale. My price was 46.18 after prorating. I had this battery almost 6 years and they come with a great warranty. Not a bad deal in my opinion.

went to Autozone today and spoke to Manager. Without receipt he prorated the new battery and took really good care of me. $44 for a replacment battery
Thanks Autozone

all batteries I have ever seen have a date code melted into them someplace. I always check them when I buy a new battery as I've seen a difference as much as 6 monthes between the date code and the purchase date. Some stores don't rotate their inventory very well.

Glad you are back on the road. (y)

ARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You jinxed me!!!  :E:  Went out today to run a few errands, stopped for a quick lunch and when i came out, all I got was click,click,click.... I had someone jump me and went to wh*re-mart (aka- wally-world) to exchange their 4 1/2 year old battery that was warrented for 108 months. They prorated it and I got it for half price at least. And the date was 4/10 on the case.

Wow carnut you got 4 1/2 years off the battery most times there are good for 3 years.

One of my yellow tops is 9 years old.

MS03 2500 said:
Wow carnut you got 4 1/2 years off the battery most times there are good for 3 years.

One of my yellow tops is 9 years old.

"Back in the day" on an older 60 month battery I would expect to have it fail by about month 54, But I THOUGHT that if I bought a battery that had a prorate period of 108 months, (yes that IS 9 years,) and free replacement for the first three, that I would have gotten at least 6 or 7 years at a minimum. Oh, by the way, the old battery was yellow too, but I doubt it was the same quality as you got. BTW, how much does a yellow top battery cost? The "wh*re-mart" replacement battery I got was priced at $77, but I got it for less than $40 with the adjustment.

Yellow top, Odyssey or Sears Platinum(which is a Odyssey Battery) unless you like being standed every 3 years.

carnut said:
BTW, how much does a yellow top battery cost?

While at Auto Zone last week I priced the Optima yellow top battery. $169.00 :eek:

I really wish someone...Odyssey or Optima....made a direct replacement AGM battery for the nbs Av. Failing that, I'm going to have to replace mine this year. Flooded,especially OEM, batteries get three winters with me and then out the door!

Back