• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Today we will replace my Fuel pump 02 (Updated with pictures)

Michaelmiata89

Today we, my friend and member Mrobers and I will replace my fuel pump. Till yesterday I was in doubt about the way we should do this, making a hole under the backseat and change it from top, or removing the tank and than replace it. To be honest I'm still a bit afraid of doing it both ways. Avalanches are not very common in the Netherlands, so spare parts are not in stock. When dropping the tank, I'm afraid of destroying any hoses. But on the other hand, a hole in floor of my car.....hmmmm hard to decide what way is the best.

I decide to make the hole in the floor and hope that i won't damage anything else.
We will keep you updated.

Michael 

Goood Luck with it, let us know how you come out.

I went with the hole. Much easier  :D

Here are my pics from the big fuel pump thread page :D

Attachments

• pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 731
  • pump2.jpg
    pump2.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 719
Didn't I see a thread on here for replacing the fuel pump with one of a different type and retro-fitting it itno place of the stock pump??? :rolleyes:  Anyone got a link?

Here the pics of our work. It took us about 2.5 - 3 hour incl coffee :p
At first I cut the carpet in a U shape.
385962788.jpg

Then we marked the cutting lines, notice that we made a larger hole as some others did.
We started from the seat frame and went forward into the frontseat direction.
We measured 1 inch from the frame and went 8,5-9 inch to the front.
Then we measured from "the middle of the car" into the direction of my left hand rear door. We started about 4,5 inch from the fram and went 7 inch into the direction of the door.
385962793.jpg

After that we started cutting. Be aware that there is some space between the floorplan and the fuel lines BUT don't go to deep. We did go for maximum 1 inch deep!
385962791.jpg

385962796.jpg

AWAYS WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES AND GLOVES!!!!
We didn't make a total hole, but we cut a U shape into the floorplan. This way it's easier to close the hole when we where finished. At the side of the reardoor we didn't cut.
385962794.jpg

We took out the fuelpump fuse out of the "underhood" fuse holder and started the engine for several times to release the fuel pressure. Even after starting the enginewe noticed there was still some fuel in the lines when we took them of the pump.
We cleaned everything and started to detach(turning counter clockwise) the brown rusty ring what held the pump in the tank.
385962874.jpg

After that we swapped out the old and new pump. I Noticed that i had to use some pressure to put the new pump in place cause of the tight springs. When it was in place we attached the rusty ring again and attached all lines and connectors.
Put the fuse back and started the engine, checked if everything worked, no errors, no leakes and closed the gap. I used a lot of ducktape for the moment, but i'm going to use some aluminium strips and silicone glue to make it all waterproof again.

(y)Mike thank you so much for your time, using your tools and garage!! (y)

Doh! You forgot to tell the fun part!

It turned out that it wasn't the fuel-pump that was making the squeeling sound from underneath the Avalanche, but the pump of the LPi-system (his Avalanche is converted to run on propane). Ah well, beter to be safe than sorry; the fuel-pump going out seems to be a known problem with our Avy's. Just keep the old pump as a spare (that way I would benefit too  >:D )

4kfa0g.jpg

Great pics...

Seems if one cut it round or to size of a Marine panel opening you could make it look good when done and be water tight.

See install one of these DECK PLATES or ACCESS HATCH:
MP81117544.jpg

MP80813967_bg.jpg

MP80814138.jpg

MP80814113.jpg

TXSZ66AVLANCHE said:
I dont care how easy it is, Im not cutting a hole in my baby!  :B:

me either

I would do it in a heartbeat, ya just have to make sure it is sealed back up.

I might have to reconsider my feelings...much as I would just HATE to cut into the floor...after YGMN posted the boat hatch idea... (y) (y)

It might look pretty sharp to install a boat hatch but as part of the install...glue carpet on the hatch and hatch bezel for a more "sano" appearance... :0:

yeah I know it's under the seat...who's gonna see...but I would know it was there...so it's gotta look nice...

still undecided

I would cut five holes before I would drop the tank  :laugh:

Dropping the tank takes too much time, I could be out in a field hitting a little white ball with a metal stick. Heck if I had to drop the tank I would let the dealer fix it.

:laugh: he must be selling parts and may have never dropped a tank :laugh:

Dropping  the tank (yes, I have done it) is not the easiest but I still prefer that over the hole in the floor. Ive seen many pickups with holes in the bed for the pump, I would not mind that beacuse uts outside of the cab.

Djurre-Avalanche said:
I Would not cut a hole in my car either, but i think these two guys did a great job, they have the guts to do it  (y)

I didn't have any problems starting the first cut in Michael's Avalanche but you should have seen his face ... PRICELESS !

But it was his own choice. And I do have to say it worked out pretty nice; by just cutting 3 sides and folding the sheetmetal back, it doesn't look butchered. When the carpet was fold back you couldn't even see that it was cut. Last thing to do is to finish it up with silicone or something.

I am trying to convince him of cutting a hole in the hood so it is easier to access and change the airfilter  >:D

ms38w said:
Personally, I'd like to see an in-depth write up on the propane conversion he has.  That would be a sweet mod.

Running on propane is very common here in the Netherlands (and I suppose Europe in total) because of the fuel-prices. LPG (Liqifuid Propane Gas) is less than half the price of normal unleaded fuel. Almost every Avalanche over here drives on LPG. Only thing is you pay more taxes but when you're driving about 10.000km a year you already have profit. I don't exactly know which type of conversion he has (I think the Vialle LPi system where liquid LPG is injected directly). I have the Prins VSI system which uses a small converter to convert the liquid LPG to gas and injects it. Because of the high octane LPG provides (about 100-110) and because it is in gas-form the engine gets a little bit hotter (no cooling from liquid fuels). I have never noticed it however. But just to be sure en protect the valves and seatings, my Avalanche is also equiped with a ValveCare-system from Prins. This system uses some special oil and a computer calculates the load of the engine and therefore the need for oil and injects it (multipoint injection, so every cylinder gets is portion). The ValveCare-system is connected to the Prins VSI and communicates with eachother. Finally we have got a LPG-tank underneath the Avalanche in place of the spare-tire. Mine has the model of a spare-tire and takes 105 liters of LPG (80% filling is maximum so about 82 liters effectively). The normal fuel-tank is untouched so you've got quite some Miles To Empty.

Back