• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

HELP PLEASE!!! Lugnut Torque Specs

05HrlyHlr

Does anyone know what the lugnuts are supposed to be torque'd to on a 2005 Z71 with the 17inch wheels? I cant find my manual  :rolleyes:

Mods can move this to the appropriate place also! Sorry I couldnt figure out which one it was!  :E:

I figured that, but they way overtightened them this last time after I got my new tires and took them in after 75 miles to get them looked at and they odid it again as I found out today when I was trying to break them lose! Long story short I do not want to overtighten them so that is why I was asking! Thanks for the repsonses! Now to put the tiresback on tomorrow....!

I'm no expert, but I keep a collapsible two handed tire iron in the truck at all times and it works well for tightening and removal...  I recommend getting one and keeping it under the back seat as its better than the stock avy tool...    Some say overtightening can warp the rotors, but unless you are a an olympic weight lifter your judgement is probably good...

marzahld said:
I'm no expert, but I keep a collapsible two handed tire iron in the truck at all times and it works well for tightening and removal...  I recommend getting one and keeping it under the back seat as its better than the stock avy tool...    Some say overtightening can warp the rotors, but unless you are a an olympic weight lifter your judgement is probably good...

Yea I have the Tire Iron! I am using that I had to get a huge breaker bar to get them lose though! Well I am not an olympic lifter I used to power lift and am going to start coaching power lifting for th Special Olympics here soon! I think that still qualifies me under the judgement catagory however!  :laugh:

tighten it until it breaks...then back it off 1/4 turn.

yeah, I know...    :beating:

Heh, guess I'm pretty strong. I've twisted wheel studs off many a time tightening lugs. In my opinion, 140ft lbs is waaaaaay too much, but it is what GM states. I put mine on at 100ft lbs and have never had any rotor problems or any more twisted tire studs. I've heard over and undertightening can warp rotors. I promise I'll never twist another wheel stud, though.  (y)

I'm pretty sure mine are on in the neighborhood of 100 also...  I tighten them the same as the lug bolts on my trailer (which the dealer recommended be set at a measly 65 ft lbs-- I found this to be wrong when I lost a wheel going down the road)...  Now all my lug nuts/bolts get around 100... I definitely could put more torque on them if I wanted to but I use arm strength only (i.e. don't put all your weight on the tire iron)... Maybe this isn't a great idea if you are a body builder, but it works for me... 
I once had a friend try to tighten them more behind me with a torque wrench and they did not move until it was set >100... 

If the tire iron didn't work and you needed a long breaker bar to get them free, I'd say they were at 200+

My olds is 100 ft lbs and AV 140 ft lbs. I use an inexpensive torque I keep in the truck  :love:

I'm 67 years old. I tighten conical lug nuts until they feel tight. Hasn't let me down yet.

ltxi said:
I'm 67 years old. I tighten conical lug nuts until they feel tight. Hasn't let me down yet.

You got a bit more practice then me  :D like over double :cool:  (y) (y)I have nothing against this method at all and have always used it until now! I guess it has to do with 2 things wanting to make sure I am being extra cautious with the baby on board and doing what I can to prevent things from going wrong on my truck as I plan to keep thing one around a looooonnnnng while!

Yeah, haha, it's feel thing with me. Maybe also has to do with being an old, modified racing wrench. Would not even think about not using a torque wrench on anything important given to change,  but lug nuts and plugs are still just done by feel.

Funniest thing about it was my neighbor brings over his torque wrench and says have you ever used one of these before and I said no and he looked at me like I was crazy! I said he!! when it is tight it is tight! Now that I think about it I have been wanting to do the big brake mod hmmm maybe if I wreck my rotors then my wife will have to let me get new ones and while I am at it might as well do the big brake mod!!!!
Ha ha ha ha riiiiiiight!

Torque specs are only an approximation... Even when you use a torque wrench you are just getting *close*...  There is a working range where a bolt will not come loose and cause problems and not be too tight and either strip out or cause warping of rotors, bearings to be preloaded, etc...  If you are in this range, you are good to go... 

That being said, I have some advice for the people who want to hear it creaking...  and this does not necessarily apply to avy lug nuts, but all nuts/bolts in general...  Always pay attention to the grade of bolt you are tightening, what its made out of and what its holding down (i.e. steel, aluminum)...  Aluminum threads can strip very easily... don't ask me why I know this  :E:

marzahld said:
That being said, I have some advice for the people who want to hear it creaking...  and this does not necessarily apply to avy lug nuts, but all nuts/bolts in general...  Always pay attention to the grade of bolt you are tightening, what its made out of and what its holding down (i.e. steel, aluminum)...   Aluminum threads can strip very easily... don't ask me why I know this  :E:

excellent advice

Back