• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

World Wide Get Together in Des Moines Plannning Thread!

05HrlyHlr

Hey everybobdy lets make something happen for the World Wide in Des Moines I know we started talking in another thread, now lets toss out some idea and try to get a game plan set up!

Anyone who can help me out with scouting locations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for starting this thread. I think since it will be a 3 day event we (you) (y) should try to plan 3 or 4  things to do each day. Members then can choose or do as much or as little each day as they wish with the club. Our local group here seems to love museums, both automotive and historical are of interest to many. Of course a group breakfast and or a group dinner would be in order. At most of the larger GTGs they try to have a few items to give away in drawings after the group dinner, not sure that it is necessary but it is something to think about. Sometime we do a charity event, I am not sure if we will have that this year or not. We (you)  (y) will need to plan something for everyone, not just us guys driving the Avalanches. Most of the time the wife & kids want to come and they will need some events to make the time interesting for them. Antique shopping areas, flea markets, water parks, amusement parks, the zoo, well you get the idea. We (you)  (y) should try to plan a few events where there will be a internet connection so we can hook up to the WWGTG website. And last but not least a group cruise is always a favorite! If we can find a great place to just take a scenic drive and have several Avalanches cruising together it is always cool..........

You know at a lot of the larger GTG's that we have been to the group will try to stay at the same hotel. Most times they will hold a modding event or a show & shine either judged or not in the hotel parking lot. There usually is "lot time" in the evenings or night where people spend time socializing out in the parking lot. If we (you)  (y) can find a decent hotel that will allow you to block off and reserve a "just for Avalanches" area we could broadcast from there to the WWGTG website each evening and even hold a modding event or car show and link it up to the WWGTG website.

There will be a lot more ideas I am sure and I would love to see something new that is not just a rerun of previous events so lets hear some NEW IDEAS!

Butch

Hey guys since I live in Des Moines I thought I'd get the ball rolling with a couple of things to do.

Adventure Land is 10 minutes east of town and there is a city water park in town.  The Blank Park Zoo is on the south side of town.  Saylorville lake is north of town.  It's a big watershed with nice hiking trails.  Valley Junction is a 2 or 3 block stretch of small unique local shops kind of in the middle of town.  All the places I listed are pretty easy to get to as it's really easy to get around Des Moines.

I travel quite a bit for work but if I can help with scouting anything please let me know.

I was thinking about asking my salesman if the Chevy dealership where I bought my Avy has any interest in getting involved as well.  I'll let you know what I find out.

johnny7175 said:
Hey guys since I live in Des Moines I thought I'd get the ball rolling with a couple of things to do.

Adventure Land is 10 minutes east of town and there is a city water park in town.  The Blank Park Zoo is on the south side of town.  Saylorville lake is north of town.  It's a big watershed with nice hiking trails.  Valley Junction is a 2 or 3 block stretch of small unique local shops kind of in the middle of town.  All the places I listed are pretty easy to get to as it's really easy to get around Des Moines.

I travel quite a bit for work but if I can help with scouting anything please let me know.

I was thinking about asking my salesman if the Chevy dealership where I bought my Avy has any interest in getting involved as well.  I'll let you know what I find out.

(y) Those items can make a the get together themselves! I think we should start with these and guage interest it seems like there is a bit for the whole family! What hotels would you suggest? Is there a strips where people cruise on the weekends at all that you know of? We could take it over for the night  :D

05HrlyHlr said:
(y) Those items can make a the get together themselves! I think we should start with these and guage interest it seems like there is a bit for the whole family! What hotels would you suggest? Is there a strips where people cruise on the weekends at all that you know of? We could take it over for the night  :D

We have tons of hotels, is there a brand people prefer to stay at?  Is there a price range we want to stay within?

Off hand I don't know about any strips on which we could cruise but I'll ask around and see if I can find out.

Most members seem to prefer a budget priced hotel, something like a Super 8. Maybe take a look around and see if you can find one that has 2 or 3 separate lots where we could have our own lot or at maybe a roped off section of one lot. (so we can stage our Avalanches there) and then talk to the hotel. Ask if we get this WWGTG going if we would be able to reserve a block of rooms for us and try to get a better group rate. Then ask about parking together in the lot, explain that members do like to meet up and talk trucks in the lot but there will not be wild parties etc.   (y)  Just let 'em know that this is an adult club, not a bunch of teenagers.

Bump! Lets get this thing going here Region III! We have some great ideas, but can never have enough!

We need some Modding blessed people as well so we can get a mod party one night also!

It's great to see you guys planning this one..  (y)

Just found out about this thread (thanks Butch) and just recently became an Avalanche owner in Des Moines. Happy to help out. What time frame are we talking here? I didn't see that anywhere yet.

jabrd said:
Just found out about this thread (thanks Butch) and just recently became an Avalanche owner in Des Moines. Happy to help out. What time frame are we talking here? I didn't see that anywhere yet.

Welcome aboard! The WWGTG will be July 23 to the 25th 2010. We are in the early planning stages and any ideas are welcome.

New to the site, but very interested in participating in the GTG.  Coming from the Quad Cities, I anticipate following your leads and participating in the activites as suggested.  I'd like to pop up a camper in some location near you then just meet up as the agenda dictates.  See you soon with the wife and kids.

Eric

Welcome Eric! I'm new as well.
My wife hails from around your area. Her family still lives over there. We have a pop up too and there are lots of good sites in the immediate area. The family prefers saylorville lake area......nice well kept spots. Several different camp grounds to choose from.

:welcome:

Looking online I found that the town of Boone, about a hour north of Des Moines has a train museum and train rides. Have any of you locals done that?

Yeah thats a pretty neat and fun time, especially for the kids.  They have a dinner type of ride that is nice too. More scenic later in the year but.....

Sorry everyone I am working my tail off getting this semester wrapped up and getting used to the new baby in the house!

Hey guys I'm sorry I haven't been posting much lately but I've been on the road the last four weeks.  I'll be home next week and hopefully I'll have some time to start looking at hotels if you like.

Maybe jabrd had some ideas about strip to cruise?

johnny7175 said:
Hey guys I'm sorry I haven't been posting much lately but I've been on the road the last four weeks.  I'll be home next week and hopefully I'll have some time to start looking at hotels if you like.

Maybe jabrd had some ideas about strip to cruise?

I think you checking out hotels would be great! I can call and they can tell me they have a lot we can use, but we all know people often say one thing to get the rooms booked! I have no idea about cruising or any sort of main drag down there to go on and show our numbers, but finding one would be fun! We will cruise either way, but showing off would be even better!

As far as hotels go there is a newly remodeled one right off the interstate at Merle Hay Road that has a new indoor water park for any of you bringing kids or who are still kids :D
Just down the way from that there is a Benigans that is car/truck gathering freindly i know, they have an oldies night etc. There's also a Hooters in town that has a big adjacent parking lot that would work well for a gathering. Just some thoughts  :B:

We should plan on at least on gathering at the local HOOTERS! Hooters & Avalanche just seem to go together.....

Z66 BUTCH said:
We should plan on at least on gathering at the local HOOTERS! Hooters & Avalanche just seem to go together.....

you got that right!!

Hope I'm able to make this.  I have a trip to KC the weekend after this.  As for ideas... Is everyone really looking to stay at a hotel?  Isn't there any decent size lakes or camp grounds with showers and what not?  Even if it's a little outside of the city. 

Back