Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
04/16/14 04:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: World Wide Get Together in Des Moines Plannning Thread!  (Read 5985 times)
07HrlyHlr

HE'S BACK!!!

Awards
« on: 03/22/10 08:34 PM »

Hey everybobdy lets make something happen for the World Wide in Des Moines I know we started talking in another thread, now lets toss out some idea and try to get a game plan set up!

Anyone who can help me out with scouting locations would be greatly appreciated!

2007 Burnt Orange LT...No mods yet...

Had to sell her and some a$$hole trashed her! 2005 Z71 4x4 10 or so mods and LOTS of paint matching! Clear headlights, Harley Davidson emblems chrome Avalanche on rear and chrome tailgate handle chrome bow tie and of course You cant lose with 22's!
Z66 BUTCH
CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator

I love Dachshunds

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 03/22/10 09:14 PM »

Thanks for starting this thread. I think since it will be a 3 day event we (you) Thumbs up! should try to plan 3 or 4  things to do each day. Members then can choose or do as much or as little each day as they wish with the club. Our local group here seems to love museums, both automotive and historical are of interest to many. Of course a group breakfast and or a group dinner would be in order. At most of the larger GTGs they try to have a few items to give away in drawings after the group dinner, not sure that it is necessary but it is something to think about. Sometime we do a charity event, I am not sure if we will have that this year or not. We (you)  Thumbs up! will need to plan something for everyone, not just us guys driving the Avalanches. Most of the time the wife & kids want to come and they will need some events to make the time interesting for them. Antique shopping areas, flea markets, water parks, amusement parks, the zoo, well you get the idea. We (you)  Thumbs up! should try to plan a few events where there will be a internet connection so we can hook up to the WWGTG website. And last but not least a group cruise is always a favorite! If we can find a great place to just take a scenic drive and have several Avalanches cruising together it is always cool..........

You know at a lot of the larger GTG's that we have been to the group will try to stay at the same hotel. Most times they will hold a modding event or a show & shine either judged or not in the hotel parking lot. There usually is "lot time" in the evenings or night where people spend time socializing out in the parking lot. If we (you)  Thumbs up! can find a decent hotel that will allow you to block off and reserve a "just for Avalanches" area we could broadcast from there to the WWGTG website each evening and even hold a modding event or car show and link it up to the WWGTG website.

There will be a lot more ideas I am sure and I would love to see something new that is not just a rerun of previous events so lets hear some NEW IDEAS!

Butch

Production of the Avalanche may be "water under the bridge"
but our love for them lives on!
johnny7175
CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 03/24/10 04:48 PM »

Hey guys since I live in Des Moines I thought I'd get the ball rolling with a couple of things to do.

Adventure Land is 10 minutes east of town and there is a city water park in town.  The Blank Park Zoo is on the south side of town.  Saylorville lake is north of town.  It's a big watershed with nice hiking trails.  Valley Junction is a 2 or 3 block stretch of small unique local shops kind of in the middle of town.  All the places I listed are pretty easy to get to as it's really easy to get around Des Moines.

I travel quite a bit for work but if I can help with scouting anything please let me know.

I was thinking about asking my salesman if the Chevy dealership where I bought my Avy has any interest in getting involved as well.  I'll let you know what I find out.

| 2009 Victory Red LTZ | ReadyLift Leveling Kit | Red Bowties | Volant CAI | Corsa Touring Exhaust | Hotchkis Sway Bars | BB Tune |
07HrlyHlr

HE'S BACK!!!

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 03/24/10 07:18 PM »

Hey guys since I live in Des Moines I thought I'd get the ball rolling with a couple of things to do.

Adventure Land is 10 minutes east of town and there is a city water park in town.  The Blank Park Zoo is on the south side of town.  Saylorville lake is north of town.  It's a big watershed with nice hiking trails.  Valley Junction is a 2 or 3 block stretch of small unique local shops kind of in the middle of town.  All the places I listed are pretty easy to get to as it's really easy to get around Des Moines.

I travel quite a bit for work but if I can help with scouting anything please let me know.

I was thinking about asking my salesman if the Chevy dealership where I bought my Avy has any interest in getting involved as well.  I'll let you know what I find out.

Thumbs up! Those items can make a the get together themselves! I think we should start with these and guage interest it seems like there is a bit for the whole family! What hotels would you suggest? Is there a strips where people cruise on the weekends at all that you know of? We could take it over for the night  Cheesy

Had to sell her and some a$$hole trashed her! 2005 Z71 4x4 10 or so mods and LOTS of paint matching! Clear headlights, Harley Davidson emblems chrome Avalanche on rear and chrome tailgate handle chrome bow tie and of course You cant lose with 22's!
Royal Vader

"Impressive, Most Impressive"

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 03/24/10 08:09 PM »

Sounds like fun!  Thumbs up!
I'm 3-4 hours from Des Moines but planning on being there.

David
2008 LTZ Silver Birch Metallic, 4X4, 5.3, 3.73
Ambers, Yakima bike racks, Molded splash guards, GMPP CAI, Flowmaster Super 50, 3" SI, 2.5" DO 4" Stainless Tips. EXT Roof Rack, OEM Nav upgrade, OnStar Gen8 VCIM (bluetooth) module

07HrlyHlr

HE'S BACK!!!

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 03/24/10 08:15 PM »

Sounds like fun!  Thumbs up!
I'm 3-4 hours from Des Moines but planning on being there.

Glad to have you onboard! I am about 4 hours away also!

johnny7175

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 03/25/10 10:49 AM »

Thumbs up! Those items can make a the get together themselves! I think we should start with these and guage interest it seems like there is a bit for the whole family! What hotels would you suggest? Is there a strips where people cruise on the weekends at all that you know of? We could take it over for the night  Cheesy

We have tons of hotels, is there a brand people prefer to stay at?  Is there a price range we want to stay within?

Off hand I don't know about any strips on which we could cruise but I'll ask around and see if I can find out.

| 2009 Victory Red LTZ | ReadyLift Leveling Kit | Red Bowties | Volant CAI | Corsa Touring Exhaust | Hotchkis Sway Bars | BB Tune |
Z66 BUTCH

I love Dachshunds

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 03/25/10 11:40 AM »

Most members seem to prefer a budget priced hotel, something like a Super 8. Maybe take a look around and see if you can find one that has 2 or 3 separate lots where we could have our own lot or at maybe a roped off section of one lot. (so we can stage our Avalanches there) and then talk to the hotel. Ask if we get this WWGTG going if we would be able to reserve a block of rooms for us and try to get a better group rate. Then ask about parking together in the lot, explain that members do like to meet up and talk trucks in the lot but there will not be wild parties etc.   Thumbs up!  Just let 'em know that this is an adult club, not a bunch of teenagers.
« Last Edit: 03/25/10 03:26 PM by Z66 BUTCH » Logged

07HrlyHlr

HE'S BACK!!!

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 03/31/10 11:17 AM »

Bump! Lets get this thing going here Region III! We have some great ideas, but can never have enough!

We need some Modding blessed people as well so we can get a mod party one night also!

amd1900mp
CAFCNA National Coordinator

2003 Arrival Blue Z71 with Cladding

WWW Awards
« Reply #9 on: 04/02/10 06:43 AM »

It's great to see you guys planning this one..  Thumbs up!

Production of the Avalanche may be "water under the bridge" but our love for them lives on!

www.ArizonaAvalanches.com

- See the world as an amusement park -
jabrd

Awards
« Reply #10 on: 04/08/10 10:54 AM »

Just found out about this thread (thanks Butch) and just recently became an Avalanche owner in Des Moines. Happy to help out. What time frame are we talking here? I didn't see that anywhere yet.

'03 2500, Victory red, cladded, Goodmark cowl induction hood, HID low and fogs, volant CAI with powercore, red top optima, tow mirrors, mirrored amber DRL's and turn signals, "muffman" dual Magnaflow exhaust, front keys/leveling, BFG 285/75/16 TA's
Z66 BUTCH

I love Dachshunds

Awards
« Reply #11 on: 04/08/10 11:10 AM »

Just found out about this thread (thanks Butch) and just recently became an Avalanche owner in Des Moines. Happy to help out. What time frame are we talking here? I didn't see that anywhere yet.

Welcome aboard! The WWGTG will be July 23 to the 25th 2010. We are in the early planning stages and any ideas are welcome.

cooncitycornflake

Awards
« Reply #12 on: 04/08/10 07:57 PM »

New to the site, but very interested in participating in the GTG.  Coming from the Quad Cities, I anticipate following your leads and participating in the activites as suggested.  I'd like to pop up a camper in some location near you then just meet up as the agenda dictates.  See you soon with the wife and kids.

Eric
jabrd

Awards
« Reply #13 on: 04/09/10 05:50 AM »

Welcome Eric! I'm new as well.
My wife hails from around your area. Her family still lives over there. We have a pop up too and there are lots of good sites in the immediate area. The family prefers saylorville lake area......nice well kept spots. Several different camp grounds to choose from.

Welcome!

'03 2500, Victory red, cladded, Goodmark cowl induction hood, HID low and fogs, volant CAI with powercore, red top optima, tow mirrors, mirrored amber DRL's and turn signals, "muffman" dual Magnaflow exhaust, front keys/leveling, BFG 285/75/16 TA's
Z66 BUTCH

I love Dachshunds

Awards
« Reply #14 on: 04/09/10 06:06 AM »

Looking online I found that the town of Boone, about a hour north of Des Moines has a train museum and train rides. Have any of you locals done that?

jabrd

Awards
« Reply #15 on: 04/09/10 07:47 AM »

Yeah thats a pretty neat and fun time, especially for the kids.  They have a dinner type of ride that is nice too. More scenic later in the year but.....

Mdz66

I love my 1st and only Z-66 Avalanche!

Awards
« Reply #16 on: 04/11/10 10:12 AM »

We plan to bring our pop up as well.

02 Forest Green Z-66, Medium Cloth, Grille Gaurd, K&N Cold Air Kit, Gibson Stainless Sport Truck Cat-Back, Tube Side Steps, Silver Stars , Full-Time Amber Drls, 10In Flip Down Monitor, Bose Dvd, Green Underbody Kit, Functional Ram Air Hood, Forest, Green Bowtie, Billet Grill, Mountain Decal In Back Window,  Red Brake Calipers, Aux Tranny Cooler, D&S Rotors
07HrlyHlr

HE'S BACK!!!

Awards
« Reply #17 on: 04/11/10 08:54 PM »

Sorry everyone I am working my tail off getting this semester wrapped up and getting used to the new baby in the house!

johnny7175

Awards
« Reply #18 on: 04/14/10 05:11 PM »

Hey guys I'm sorry I haven't been posting much lately but I've been on the road the last four weeks.  I'll be home next week and hopefully I'll have some time to start looking at hotels if you like.

Maybe jabrd had some ideas about strip to cruise?

07HrlyHlr

HE'S BACK!!!

Awards
« Reply #19 on: 04/14/10 05:17 PM »

Hey guys I'm sorry I haven't been posting much lately but I've been on the road the last four weeks.  I'll be home next week and hopefully I'll have some time to start looking at hotels if you like.

Maybe jabrd had some ideas about strip to cruise?

I think you checking out hotels would be great! I can call and they can tell me they have a lot we can use, but we all know people often say one thing to get the rooms booked! I have no idea about cruising or any sort of main drag down there to go on and show our numbers, but finding one would be fun! We will cruise either way, but showing off would be even better!
« Last Edit: 04/16/10 08:17 AM by 05HrlyHlr » Logged

Royal Vader

"Impressive, Most Impressive"

Awards
« Reply #20 on: 04/15/10 09:23 PM »

Likey Likey  Thumbs up!

David
2008 LTZ Silver Birch Metallic, 4X4, 5.3, 3.73
Ambers, Yakima bike racks, Molded splash guards, GMPP CAI, Flowmaster Super 50, 3" SI, 2.5" DO 4" Stainless Tips. EXT Roof Rack, OEM Nav upgrade, OnStar Gen8 VCIM (bluetooth) module

jabrd

Awards
« Reply #21 on: 04/26/10 05:14 AM »

As far as hotels go there is a newly remodeled one right off the interstate at Merle Hay Road that has a new indoor water park for any of you bringing kids or who are still kids Cheesy
Just down the way from that there is a Benigans that is car/truck gathering freindly i know, they have an oldies night etc. There's also a Hooters in town that has a big adjacent parking lot that would work well for a gathering. Just some thoughts  chevy

Z66 BUTCH

I love Dachshunds

Awards
« Reply #22 on: 04/26/10 06:54 AM »

We should plan on at least on gathering at the local HOOTERS! Hooters & Avalanche just seem to go together.....

amd1900mp

WWW Awards
« Reply #23 on: 04/26/10 08:47 AM »

We should plan on at least on gathering at the local HOOTERS! Hooters & Avalanche just seem to go together.....

you got that right!!

Production of the Avalanche may be "water under the bridge" but our love for them lives on!

PrimeAV

Awards
« Reply #24 on: 04/26/10 08:52 AM »

Hope I'm able to make this.  I have a trip to KC the weekend after this.  As for ideas... Is everyone really looking to stay at a hotel?  Isn't there any decent size lakes or camp grounds with showers and what not?  Even if it's a little outside of the city. 

04 Orange AV. All stock. 68,000 miles
jabrd

Awards
« Reply #25 on: 04/26/10 09:08 AM »

Saylorville is a local lake/park with wonderful camping facilities around it. Several of the lots have full shower/bathroom ammenities. Of course you have to book early for the good spots but we like Cherry Glenn in particular as there is men/women fullservice bathroom and a centrally located playground for the kiddos.

jabrd

Awards
« Reply #26 on: 04/26/10 09:10 AM »

Here is a link to the website for camping.
http://www2.mvr.usace.army.mil/Saylorville/Camping.cfm

Z66 BUTCH

I love Dachshunds

Awards
« Reply #27 on: 04/26/10 09:15 AM »

Those are great rates for camping!

Mdz66

Awards
« Reply #28 on: 04/26/10 11:44 AM »

Good rates and a very beautiful park on a lake. We are in if this the place.   They offer interagencey discounts of 50% not sure what that means but it is on their site.

02 Forest Green Z-66, Medium Cloth, Grille Gaurd, K&N Cold Air Kit, Gibson Stainless Sport Truck Cat-Back, Tube Side Steps, Silver Stars , Full-Time Amber Drls, 10In Flip Down Monitor, Bose Dvd, Green Underbody Kit, Functional Ram Air Hood, Forest, Green Bowtie, Billet Grill, Mountain Decal In Back Window,  Red Brake Calipers, Aux Tranny Cooler, D&S Rotors
lurchsavalanche

Luxury of a car, yet function of a TRUCK!

Awards
« Reply #29 on: 04/27/10 06:06 PM »

I'm keeping an eye on this thread and hope to attend. The wife even approved the trip.... love  Is there going to be any window signs or a kind of ID to let everyone know who is from where?

Amber FTDRL, All on high mod, Cooper Zeon LTZ 275/60/20 tires, drop in K&N air filter, Ford torsion bar keys, 3" body lift. (1st GTG in Iowa 2010)
07HrlyHlr

HE'S BACK!!!

Awards
« Reply #30 on: 04/27/10 08:04 PM »

I am open for camping, but then I cant bring the little one as I do not have my toy hauler yet and I dont want to rick it getting to hot or cold with her in a tent! So I may have to get a hotel not sure will figure out as it gets closer! 2 more weeks of school and I can dive into this a bit more!

Did our Iowa residents find out any other info?

johnny7175

Awards
« Reply #31 on: 05/03/10 05:34 PM »

I must apologize as this Iowa resident has been busy with work and home chores which explains why he has been slacking off on his scouting duties.  Undecided

When I talk to the hotel people how many rooms should I tell them we are likely to need?

07HrlyHlr

HE'S BACK!!!

Awards
« Reply #32 on: 05/03/10 08:33 PM »

We need to get an Idea of who is coming! Butch would you mind setting up a thread for this please!

Z66 BUTCH

I love Dachshunds

Awards
« Reply #33 on: 05/03/10 10:37 PM »

I started the thread HERE.  Please post up and get on the list!!

Mdz66

Awards
« Reply #34 on: 05/19/10 12:37 AM »

pretty quiet lately

07HrlyHlr

HE'S BACK!!!

Awards
« Reply #35 on: 05/19/10 03:01 PM »

Still waiting to here back about the hotels in the area form the member I will make some calls here the start of next week and try to get some stuff lined up!

Z66 BUTCH

I love Dachshunds

Awards
« Reply #36 on: 05/19/10 04:03 PM »

Still waiting to here back about the hotels in the area form the member I will make some calls here the start of next week and try to get some stuff lined up!

Thumbs up!

U.S.A.valanche

Avalanche all the way!

Awards
« Reply #37 on: 06/03/10 02:20 PM »

Some of my favorite outdoor places in the area...

Iowa DNR state parks page: http://www.iowadnr.gov/parks/index.html

Boone & Scenic Valley Railroad: http://www.scenic-valleyrr.com

Lake Red Rock: http://www2.mvr.usace.army.mil/redrock/default.cfm

Yellow Banks Park: http://www.conservationboard.org/Pages/ybp.aspx

Easter Lake Park: http://www.conservationboard.org/Pages/elp.aspx

Jester Park: http://www.conservationboard.org/Pages/jp.aspx

Ledges State Park: http://www.iowadnr.gov/parks/state_park_list/ledges.html

Big Creek State Park; http://www.iowadnr.gov/parks/state_park_list/big_creek.html

Neal Smith Wildlife Refuge: http://www.fws.gov/refuges/profiles/index.cfm?id=33670

Fort Des Moines Museum & Education Center; http://www.fortdesmoines.org/

Iowa Gold Star Museum (Iowa National Guard and Veterans Museum): http://www.iowanationalguard.com/Museum/Museum.htm

02 Avalanche 1500 Forest Green Metallic/Graphite Leather: Z71,LM7, M30,  G80, GT4, AN3_2, ZM9, CF5, V54
Mods: (so far) GPS, Ventvisors, K&N air filter, Amber DRL's, Mobil 1, UltiMat, CatchAll mats
jabrd

Awards
« Reply #38 on: 06/09/10 07:45 AM »

Was hoping the minopr league baseball team was in town that weekend but they aren't   Sad
Many other things to do though. Adventureland (amusement park place) now has a new water park area too, wouldn't be too bad mid-July Cheesy
Not sure where we are at with hotel plans but happy to help. Been a little busy lately but still watching this thread and looking forward to the events.

Lu

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #39 on: 06/09/10 11:03 AM »

see if any of them are pet friendly, please?

thank you
amd1900mp

WWW Awards
« Reply #40 on: 06/09/10 12:59 PM »

keep up the great work planning your event and be sure to register your webcasting account. check the nationals section.

U.S.A.valanche

Avalanche all the way!

Awards
« Reply #41 on: 06/09/10 08:11 PM »

C'mon Jabrd, get on it!

LOL  Just kidding

I been busy too- so busy I haven't even tried out my new BOAT MOTOR!!!

Cry

02 Avalanche 1500 Forest Green Metallic/Graphite Leather: Z71,LM7, M30,  G80, GT4, AN3_2, ZM9, CF5, V54
Mods: (so far) GPS, Ventvisors, K&N air filter, Amber DRL's, Mobil 1, UltiMat, CatchAll mats
07HrlyHlr

HE'S BACK!!!

Awards
« Reply #42 on: 06/09/10 08:32 PM »

Has anyone been able to check out some hotels??? Too see if they have some ample metting space! Also does anyone know how big the parking lot at the Hooters is?

U.S.A.valanche

Avalanche all the way!

Awards
« Reply #43 on: 06/09/10 08:34 PM »

Hooters shares parking with a large "strip" (heh heh) mall... there should be plenty, and more across the street...

Z66 BUTCH

I love Dachshunds

Awards
« Reply #44 on: 06/09/10 08:46 PM »

U.S.A.valanche I just noticed that you are from Boone, have you visited the Railroad Museum or taken trips on the Scenic Railroad tours? We are especially interested in the STEAM locomotive Coach class tour on Saturday, maybe the 1:30 tour. If we think there may be several people wanting to do this do you think that we should call to make reservations?

I see a lot of motels concentrated on the west side but there are some north near I-80 & 35, is that a good area?

Butch

jabrd

Awards
« Reply #45 on: 06/10/10 08:55 AM »

Hotel wise i would say anything close to a freeway/interstate exit would work as the city isn't that big or hard to navigate. The new Ramada with waterslide/pool on Merle Hay Road is on the North end of town. Its close to the Bennigans i suggested previously and is right off 80/35. there are a few other hotels @ this exit but many more on the west side of town. 

Z66 BUTCH

I love Dachshunds

Awards
« Reply #46 on: 06/10/10 09:39 AM »

Hotel wise i would say anything close to a freeway/interstate exit would work as the city isn't that big or hard to navigate. The new Ramada with waterslide/pool on Merle Hay Road is on the North end of town. Its close to the Bennigans i suggested previously and is right off 80/35. there are a few other hotels @ this exit but many more on the west side of town. 

I (and several others that I know) would like to keep the hotel at $100 or less per night and as Lu said see if you can find a "pet friendly" hotel, several members may want to bring their pets.

jabrd

Awards
« Reply #47 on: 06/10/10 10:45 AM »

Here's the ramada info....it looks like the rooms start at $119/night though  and i dont see anything about pets Sad

http://www.ramada.com/Ramada/control/Booking/check_avail?areaCode=&brandCode=RA,HJ,TL,DI,KG,SE,BU,MT&searchWithinMiles=50&areaType=1&destination=des%20moines&state=IA&country=US&checkInDate=07/23&numberAdults=1&numberRooms=1&checkOutDate=07/25&numberChildren=0&numberBigChildren=0&rate=000&useWRPoints=false&variant=&id=17599&propBrandId=RA&force_nostay=false&tab=tab1

I will check others

Z66 BUTCH

I love Dachshunds

Awards
« Reply #48 on: 06/10/10 10:46 AM »

I will check others.............

Thumbs up!

jabrd

Awards
« Reply #49 on: 06/10/10 11:36 AM »

This Holiday Inn is attached to the Bennigans i mentioned previously and appears to be less than $100 a night, its also right off I35/80 at merle hay road and pets less than 25# it says.

http://holidayinn.com/hotels/us/en/dsmdu/hoteldetail

there are many others to check as well. i cant think of one near hooters.

jabrd

Awards
« Reply #50 on: 06/10/10 11:43 AM »

there's a couple more in this vicinity but i cant recall their names so ill have to drive by after work  Thumbs up!

Z66 BUTCH

I love Dachshunds

Awards
« Reply #51 on: 06/10/10 11:58 AM »

Most hotels will save a block of rooms for an event. If you tell them that we expect to need 12 rooms then ask if they can save that block of rooms for C.A.F.C.N.A. until around July the 10, that will still give them 2 weeks to rent what rooms that we don't take. Tell them that you want their BEST rate or some discount and I am sure the price will be even lower.....

Each member can then call and make their reservation and use C.A.F.C.N.A. as the Corporate ID to get the discount.

You can do all of this over the phone if you wish & please confirm that they allow small pets...........  Thumbs up!

Didit

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #52 on: 06/10/10 04:49 PM »

Red Roof Inns accept pets and are usually around 60 bucks or so a night if I'm not mistaken, there is one not far from the airport.

Didit

ps    they have showers too!

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: