Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
09/19/14 02:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to start for more power......  (Read 4376 times)
get_lifted_z71

Awards
« on: 03/01/10 04:07 PM »

Hi All,

Well I just got back from a great weekend in Big Bear. Almost a foot of new snow came down. The AV with its new Terra Grapplers and 6k HID's worked great in the snow.

Here is my new question. During the drive up HWY 330 I found myself falling behind the lead vehicle and having to push the pedal down farther or downshifting to 3rd gear. Having just shelled out for new tires and lights, the money tree is a little light.

What are some low budget performance mods for my 07 stock Z71? I have thought of just a muffler swap to flowmaster 40 series and removing the resonator? I am also pondering a CAI but have often wondered if they are efficient under the hood where it is mostly hot air. What do computer programmers do? Any advice is welcomed.

1980 Chevy Blazer - Full size 2WD belltech drop
1996 Chevy Silverado - 35' Mickey Thompson 6" rancho lift
1999 Chevy Tahoe - Shaved on American Torq Thrust II
1978 Chevy Silverado - Big 10 beater
2006 Chrysler 300C -  Love that Hemi!! 22's, smoked taillights, soundsystem, 5% tint all around
2007 Chevy Avalanche z71 - Bone Stock with Sound System upgrades!
highflyinbean

Lots Of Mods!

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: 03/01/10 04:24 PM »

What gears do you have? GM keeps putting in gears to save on fuel economy and make the truck feel like a dog. Intake and exhaust won't really help too much, just a little. A programmer does help as well, I have the Edge and really noticed a difference.
« Last Edit: 03/01/10 04:26 PM by highflyinbean » Logged

LIFTED AVALANCHE!

Sig by highflyingbean, on Flickr
MooseAlanche
CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member

The Moose Is On The Loose

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 03/01/10 04:33 PM »

get_lifted_z71 If you do all three (intake,exhaust, and tune) you should notice an increase in power.
But the rear end gear question is a good one especially if you installed larger wheels and tires.

Pete
05 Black Avalanche 5.3L, Z71, Cladded, Chrome Brush Bar, Speed Grille, SS Nerf Bars, Fire & Ice Tailgate LED, Lund Bug Shield, Putco Tailgate Handle Cover, K&N #77 Cold Air Intake, PowerAid TBS, MagnaFlow SS CatBack. Since Joining CAFC: Amber FTDRL, LED Sail Panel Lights, Amber LED Grille Lights, Door Pocket LED's, Mag Lite, 3rd Brake & Tailgate Decals, Cargo Light, Billet Gas Door, Tailgate Cup Holders, Backup Cam, I Pod2car, WoLo Horn, PlasmaGlow Xeon Bulbs, Window Tint, Tailgate E-Z Up, HyperTech
MyBigToy

Too much power is just enough!

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 03/01/10 05:37 PM »

Ditto on the gear ratio question. For a cheap, decent CAI I'd suggest a Spectre @ somewhere around $105. After that, I'd suggest you look for a used Diablosport Predator programmer, which you should be able to pick up for around $200. Or you could get a custom tune, which you should find varies from $300-$400. The muffler won't give you a whole lot extra except noise so for me that would be last on the list. You could also consider a set of shorty headers.

2002 LPM Z71 - Magnacharger w/3" pulley, TOG's headers, 216/224-.551/.551-115 cam/pushrods/dual springs/titanium retainers, built tranny, Yank TT2600 converter, 24K GVW Tru-Cool tranny cooler, Flex-A-Lites, ProCold intake, MSD wires & TR6 plugs, 20" Panther Juice 6's, 2.8" rear lowering springs, J&J Enterprises stainless grille, body-color taillight covers, custom metal rear step bumper. Self-tuned with HP Tuners software.

Daily driver: 2013 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5i w/Special Appearance Pkg
anglarry04

No more Avalanche...traded for a '11 Traverse

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 03/01/10 05:56 PM »

to answer this question, take a look at the sticker in your glove box and match to one of these codes:

GT4       Rear axle, 3.73 ratio
GT5       Rear axle, 4.10 ratio
GU5      Rear axle, 3.23 ratio
GU6      Rear axle, 3.42 ratio

2002 1500 Forest green Z71-traded
2004 1500 Sunburst Orange Metallic Z-71-Traded for
2008 1500 Granite Blue LT-Traded for
2011 Traverse LT Red Tint Jewel-current
2006 Trailblazer LT-Wifes-traded 31 Mar for
2008 Tahoe LT1 Ruby Red Metallic
1995 Honda Civic with Acura Type R swap-My project hot rod
B Tech

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 03/01/10 06:09 PM »

Ditto on the gear ratio question. For a cheap, decent CAI I'd suggest a Spectre @ somewhere around $105. After that, I'd suggest you look for a used Diablosport Predator programmer, which you should be able to pick up for around $200. Or you could get a custom tune, which you should find varies from $300-$400. The muffler won't give you a whole lot extra except noise so for me that would be last on the list. You could also consider a set of shorty headers.

Is there a CAI Spectre for 07 and up Huh  i havent seen one....if there is, where did you find it b/c I would like to get one
MyBigToy

Too much power is just enough!

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 03/01/10 07:07 PM »

Is there a CAI Spectre for 07 and up Huh  i havent seen one....if there is, where did you find it b/c I would like to get one

I've got an 02 so no, I didn't look for one. I just assumed (and you know what happens when you do that!  Wave) that they had one.

2002 LPM Z71 - Magnacharger w/3" pulley, TOG's headers, 216/224-.551/.551-115 cam/pushrods/dual springs/titanium retainers, built tranny, Yank TT2600 converter, 24K GVW Tru-Cool tranny cooler, Flex-A-Lites, ProCold intake, MSD wires & TR6 plugs, 20" Panther Juice 6's, 2.8" rear lowering springs, J&J Enterprises stainless grille, body-color taillight covers, custom metal rear step bumper. Self-tuned with HP Tuners software.

Daily driver: 2013 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5i w/Special Appearance Pkg
Demonik
CAFCNA 2011 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 04/19/11 03:17 PM »

Check advance or autozone. Got me one from there for 140$. But I got a 04. Good luck

black 04 uncladded
mtnman4x4

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 05/11/11 01:02 AM »

Check around at the dyno shops. They usually know a guy who wil custom tune your computer. I got it done for $75. Took an hr and a half. And he reprogrammed almost everything. Fuel/air mixture, Trans shifts and pressure, timing, ect.... Truck doesn't bog when i first get on it and have more power and better fuel mileage. 10x better than my hypertech.

Regency conversion custom 2003 Avalanche Z71. This truck is loaded with every option, all power, full leather, Z71 off road package, 315-75-R16 Toyo open country tires, 6 inch suspension lift, custom front bumper with built in winch, billet grill, fender flares,
warner

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 05/04/12 10:12 PM »

Whats the better option for 33"x12.5" tires?  Power programmer or gears?  I have 3.73 now.

'04 SunBurst Orange cladded
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: