• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

How hard is a brake job on my avalanche javascript:void(0);

elguappo

:help: :help: :help: I have completed Brake jobs on just about every truck I have owned....does the avalanche need any specialty tools, my backs have a grind as of today so that means roters, fronts are just in need...is this something a determined novice can tackle rather than pay close to a grand to Les scuaab

They are a little different than some older GM trucks but not hard to do, that is if you can get the bolts loose. On the first brake job many have a real hard time getting the bolts loose. Make sure to read up on how to do them and how to clean and lube those slides!

many times there is rust under the stainless pad slides. clean the rust off ( I used a file to clear the heavy rust off mine) and make sure the pads move freely on the slides. also the cheaper pad set don't have the hardware with them. (new stainless slides, sometimes bolts and boots.) not too different from older trucks.

If my memory serves me....there are two sets of bolts. the smaller ones allow you to remove the caliper only, leaving the pads in the cast iron housing. the larger (and many times very stubborn) larger bolts allow you to remove the holder for the pads.

Isn't there some type of torx head bolt that they need a wrench for. besides a BFH

yeah, the small bolts are torx, don't know the size (but I want to say t-50 or t-55) and the larger bolts are metric hex. i used a two foot long 1/2 inch drive "breaker bar" for the large bolts and they were still a PITA!

Yep... They are T55...  I just changed the hub bearing assembly last week which required removing the calipers (T55) and the caliper mounting bracket (18mm)...  The mounting bracket bolts have even more torque on them.  To get the caliper bolts free I did need a cheater pipe.  The mounting bolts required a cheater bar and a small well placed whack from a sledge hammer.  You can probably get the pads out without removing the bracket...  It may be even possible to remove just 1 caliper bolt...  Get a Chilton manual... 

I paid to have my rear pads changed the first time at around 65k... but next time I might go for it since I've already gotten my hands dirty here once...  The front pads apparently last a long time... mine are still at 50% at 75k...

:E:Thanks Guy's I would much rather do it myself....hey Its MY truck! I had heard that the torques were High but Knowing that its a cheater bar job and not some "factory" conspiracy gives me more confidence ...I'm setting aside monday...since the wife has plans for me all weekend.....Damn valentines day anyway.... :wave:

elguappo said:
:E:Thanks Guy's I would much rather do it myself....hey Its MY truck! I had heard that the torques were High but Knowing that its a cheater bar job and not some "factory" conspiracy gives me more confidence ...I'm setting aside monday...since the wife has plans for me all weekend.....Damn valentines day anyway.... :wave:
>:D You could always do the brake job with the wife on Valentines Day  >:D
It will definitely be a Valentines Day to remember  :laugh:

Glad you are able to stop now. (y)

Back