• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Oil pressure gauge stuck at 80 PSI when truck is on

Roody650iAvy

Hey everyone,

My dad got in touch with me today to tell me about a potential problem with my truck.  I'm away at school right now so the truck sits in our driveway most of the time but my dad drove it a few times within the last week, so the problem isn't related to lack of use.

Here's the problem: when the truck is on, the oil pressure gauge is stuck all the way to the right at 80 PSI.  It goes back to the off position when the truck is off, but when it's on, it's at 80 PSI.  He turned it off and let it sit for a few minutes and then tried it again, but the same thing happened...it happened again when he drove it back home from where he was, so it's not one of those things that goes away after re-starting the truck.

I did a quick search and all I really came across was the gauge cluster being broken.  It's not a broken oil pump, because if the oil pump was bad there would be low or no pressure, not high pressure.  I'm really hoping it's just a broken gauge cluster.

So have any of you had this problem, or do you know what the problem could be?

Thanks a ton, I appreciate it!  :wave:

One way to pinpoint if it is a cluster problem is to rotate the key to the on position without starting the engine

If the needle pegs all the way with the engine off but key on...it is probably the stepper motor for that gauge.

Bad oil sending unit?
Had something to do with Jack dropping the bomb in the hatch? :laugh:
Sorry and good luck.

stepper motor for the gauge, replace from ebay for under ten bucks or replace the whole cluster for several hundred!

Thanks guys, I'll have my dad check that tomorrow and report back on what happens.

:wave:

I'm guessing a bad sending unit or a grounded wire, if it was the stepper motor when he turned it off it would only go half way back.

I have the same problem with my oil gauge.  I did some research when I noticed the problem and found out that this happens in a lot of av.  It is a manufacture problem.  The site I found said that if your truck has less than 75,000 miles you could take it to a GM store and have it fixed.  unfortunately mine is over the mileage, but I was also told to have the stepping motor looked at.

Roody650iAvy said:
Thanks guys, I'll have my dad check that tomorrow and report back on what happens.

:wave:

Sexy Z71 said:
I have the same problem with my oil gauge.  I did some research when I noticed the problem and found out that this happens in a lot of av.  It is a manufacture problem.  The site I found said that if your truck has less than 75,000 miles you could take it to a GM store and have it fixed.  unfortunately mine is over the mileage, but I was also told to have the stepping motor looked at.

Well his is not the stepper motor.

Didit said:
stepper motor for the gauge, replace from ebay for under ten bucks or replace the whole cluster for several hundred!

There is an alternative for folks...

If you are outside the replacement policy offered by Chevy

and you can handle it...replace the stepper motor with an Ebay piece

But...if you don't want to risk the "Do It Yourself" plan...

Before you spend hundreds on a new cluster...

THIS COMPANY Speed-O-Tach
who happens to be in my back yard...

is an autorized GM / Ford / Delphi repair facility...

They also do cluster repair and milage/hours transfer from one cluster to another

Their rates are extraordinary...the milage transfer fee was $40.00 back when I had it done...

and recently I lost the stepper motor in my speedo...they replaced all 7 stepper motors and the illumination bulbs for $133.00 out the door...

So it might be worth your while to pay shipping back and forth to save some $$$ instead of replacing the cluster...

Again this is for those who don't fall under the GM replacement policy or don't want to fix it themselves...

Personally...I hate electrical... :E:

If this sounds like an attractive option to you...call them and ask to speak to Chris...you'll know you're talking to him by his German accent...he has been there 20 years and is a nice guy who also does excellant work...1-800-442-4491

Both times we went there (milage transfer and stepper repair) we were able to wait for the service and were out of there in an hour or less.

BTW...he uses stepper motors that are better than the troublesome ones and replaced them all so I wouldn't be back for another "older" stepper failure...

What a guy  (y) (y)

Here's the latest...

My dad tried what y'all said to do this morning (turn the key to the first position before where you start the engine).  He said that when he turned it there, the oil pressure gauge went to where it used to sit, right near dead center.  BUT when he started the truck (engine on), the gauge went all the way to the right, back to 80 PSI.

I need to drive it this weekend and next weekend, so he brought it to the local shop.  The guy who owns the place said something about it possibly being the oil sending unit.  He's going to check it out tomorrow or Wednesday and let my dad know what the problem is...he'll report back to me and I'll let y'all know what happens.

So any ideas what the problem could be given this info?

Thanks again guys  (y)

That's interesting, normally if it were the stepper motor it would not go back to zero. I think the mechanic is right bad sending unit or a wiring problem.

I pretty much agree with MS03 at this point...

But I have seen bad stepper motors act like what you first described...meaning...

Like an issue I had with my speedo needle recently...

engine off needle might be at zero one time or at 60mph another or pegged beyond 120mph

start engine needle might move from zero to 40mph or any other speed then move all around on accel/decel...

But your Dad seems to decribe it always goes back to "zero" so I am leaning toward MS03's deduction/opinion at this point...

Here's the diagnosis...

It was something like the oil switch, oil gauge switch, oil pressure switch...something along the lines of that.  My dad told me what it was over the phone and I can't remember what he said (I'm exhausted  :E: it was a long day of class).

Anyways, the truck is fixed and back in action  (y)  Perfect timing, considering I'm going home tomorrow for the weekend.

:laugh: that was the oil pressure sending unit. Glad you are back on the road. (y)

Thanks  :wave:

So can anyone explain to me what this oil pressure sending unit it/does?  ???  I'm really curious about this...

Roody650iAvy said:
Thanks  :wave:

So can anyone explain to me what this oil pressure sending unit it/does?   ???  I'm really curious about this...

It's sole purpose is to give bad oil pressure readings when it malfunctions... :rolleyes:

Mine just started to stay at 80 psi...Ordered sending unit  :D

Does it go back to zero when the AV is turned off cadboy1

changed out the oil pressure sending unit this morning and gauge is reading correctly again. It was normal GM location in the back of the engine. Mostly working by touch as it was hard to see but took all of 15 minutes  :D

I developed this problem today. Looked at gauge and said holy $&@#!  Then looked at others and everything was in normal range. Oil level normal and changed 600 miles ago. Turn truck on but don't start and needle goes to 80. Turn off goes to 0. Same when started. Gauge cluster is about a year old. So I guess I'm looking at a new sending unit in my future? 

I have the same problem on my 2004. This just happened this weekend. It's stuck at 80 even if I just open the ignition with out starting the engine, right away it goes to 80. I took it this guy Sunday but being a girl I think he was trying to rip me off! Can anyone tell me or give me a link to what exactly I need to buy? Then I'll take to to a mechanic to install it. Also. Can I still drive the truck before I get it fix?

You need something like the three parts on this page:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/shop_years/chevrolet-avalanche-1500-oil-pressure-switch-2004.html

Yes you can drive it before it is fixed.  My 2000 corvette when I purchased it was doing what your truck is doing now.  I got around to fixing it after putting 1000 miles or so on the car, and now the replacement switch needs to be replaced as it is now showing 0 but clearly the engine is running fine.  You will know very quickly if your pressure goes low as the engine will quickly start sounding bad.

I'm joining this thread...  after looking at my oil pressure for the past month or so... I never remembered it being so HIGH.  it maxes out when started, goes back to zero when off.  I replaced the gauges in the cluster a few years back when I had it out to fix some lights and believe they are still good.  Guess I'll try that sender if its not too pricey.

Back