• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

'07 Ave - Edge Evolution Programmer reviews

digdug

I am pretty well set on the Edge Programmer but wanted some reviews from some of you who have them.  I know there will be a  lot of opinions out there on others, getting my Ave tuned, and others .... and I welcome any input.  At the present time I have heard some good things about the Edge, but have no first hand experience.  I know I can count on the folks here to give me that input.

Thanks all,

~dig

so i know this is thread is kinna dated but i wanted to contribute to those who may have questions about the edge programmers...i havent done A LOT of research but i did enough to push me in the direction of an evo. first off, the price was a bit high but i wanted something that could be easily adjusted as well as be used at a moments notice (say at a gas pump) though toying with different gas grades can get quite expensive at times i figure what the hell...you only live once (in most cases) haha anyway. ive owned my edge now goin on 3 months and dont have many complaints at all...first off because i have a lift i kept in mind that i wouldnt see huge numbered gains and i was also ok with this (every little bit helps right?) i first ran a trans only tune just to see what was offered...i was suprised because i could already feel a difference in shifting and yes thats all it was ment to do...next because i had almost a full tank of regular grade gas i bumped the tune level up to an economy tune...i drove for two tanks on this tune and could already see a pretty good rise in mpg's...approx 2-3 mpg more than what i was running already...was that much of a test? probably not, but it had satisfied my thoughs of gas saving and maybe the world is just a lil bit greener now that ive run a lil more eco friendly i dunno haha...so then i got REALLY antsy....the next tank was a premium grade tank...the programming takes about 5 minutes so if your at a gas station that has a line for a pump maybe this wouldnt be the best time to switch tunes  >:D after swithing to a full on performance tune i gave my truck a couple of miles to get the regular gas out of the lines just to be safe...once i thought i was in the clear the horns came out and my foot gained about 400 lbs. i didnt think my truck would squat the way you see a sleeper drop after a nice big turbo spools up but OMG that was the best feeling ever...yes i know my transmission HATES me...but were talking about a full function check here haha...i dont run premium often but over all im very happy with my investment and as long as i keep my foot out of it, my evo will pay for its self (especially at 31 gallons) sorry for such a long confusing write up but just a lil back ground on my truck...i have an 07' 5.3L with a CAI, a 2 chamber flow thats been dumped, 3.73 stock gearing, a 6" fabtech suspension lift with 305/70/18 tires. i average about 17 mpg's on the HWY...my city miles are horrid because i live and work in jacksonville, NC so traffic beats my gas tank up...hope this helps a lil bit with anyone who might be thinkin about an Edge Evolution programmer...happy hunting

But is this a good tuner for someone who's not very savy when it comes to powertrain?  I'm a computer guy, not an engine/transmission guy!  >:D

as long as you know your tire size and/or can follow conversion formulas with certain ease then yes its pretty easy to use...i myself share a small amount of computer skills but when it comes to engine/trans managment id be better off with crayons or finger paint...its a couple of push button settings, about a 5 minute wait, and a turn of the key then your off...if your tires are still stock size and you havent done any MAJOR changes to anything on your truck then you should be golden...CAI? performance exhaust? no problem...the only thing youd really need to adjust would be settings for your top speed limiter...tire size (if changed)...gear ratio's are a lil different...depending on what you have stock and if you have changed your gearing you would need to go through steps to adjust that... but once you have FIRST downloaded all new updates for this unit all you would need to do next is take the module out to your truck and plug it in...intial programming will also include a scan and save of your stock tune...so if you dont like any of the tunes you can always revert back to it and return the programmer...got any other questions lemme know and ill try to answer them...hope this helps

So I've read a lot of discussion regarding the comparison between "From a Stop" acceleration, and "From a Roll" acceleration.  It seems most of the plug n' play programmers have offered plenty in terms of passing power once you're up and running (based on other users feedback), but how does the Evo perform from a stop?  Does it at all compensate for our torque management?

Thanks!

The EDGE is PHENOMENAL! Its a must with a lift and you can change things on the fly weather you are looking to save MPG or change shift points and go FAST. It is easy to use for anyone. Grandma could change the settings!

Attachments

• Edge 1.JPG
    Edge 1.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 112
Back