• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

BROKEN TAILGATE LATCH

GROSA

Hello everyone.
I went to the truck to put x-mas gifts inside the bed. I lift the handle three times and the 3rd times it completely snapped.  The tailgate is closed so how do I open and replace the handle.  I've searched the forum and saw the COMPLETE handle on e-bay for $33.  PLEASE HELP.  The dealer told me 500 f$%^kin :mad: :mad: dollars to replace the handle and the plastic trim, since the trim around it will break when installing the new tailgate handle. 

Questions

1. The only thing that broke is the handle.  Do I have to purchase a new handle or complete assembly

2.  My tailgate does not open, how do I install new handle/assembly.  Do I have to climb in through cab and replace tailgate from inside.

3. The ebay price for $33 is the correct.  (not bad for the entire assembly)

4.  Does anyone have step by step instructions.

Again thanks
:help:

i got some info from when i did mine.. i'll get back to you when i'm home on my own computer!

I bought the ebay handle and it broke the same way in 3 months, the metal parts are real thin and it never really worked correctly. I bought a GM handle for...I cant remember ??? how much I paid for it but it works just like the OEM handle. Its a pain the but to change so I would recommend the OEM handle.

I found my invoice, Part# 15086873 and I paid $90.23 but I get dealer pricing. List is $130.00 for retail customers.

I bought one on ebay when mine broke. its lasted a year with no trouble. i don't know what trim the dealer says will break, cuz i never broke any changing mine.

what year is your truck?

02-06 would use this one: http://cgi.ebay.ca/02-06-Chevy-Avalanche-tail-gate-TAILGATE-HANDLE-New_W0QQitemZ230416640617QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item35a5e6ea69

07-09 you could go with this one:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/07-09-GM-Avalanche-Escalade-EXT-Chrome-Tailgate-Handle_W0QQitemZ190360274984QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2c525b4828

to release your tailgate to make it easier to work on, you'll see 2 plastic connectors holding a rod that goes towards each side of the tailgate. with a pair of pliers or even screwdrivers, pry them away from handle. as you push the rod towards the side of the tailgate, that side should release. you may need to pull the tailgate away from the truck a little, to prevent it from re-latching while you do the other side. it should open easily once you've released both sides.

you'll see the 5 bolts that are shown in the picture linked to in a post above. remove the 2 outer torx bolts and pull off the bezel. there is christmas tree clips at the bottom of the bezel so carefully pry them out. mark the rods at the plastic linkage rod connector locations, then release the connectors. i tied a string to each rod cuz i wasn't sure how much they would pull in once they were released. i recommend doing the same just in case. then unbolt the old handle by removing the other 3 torx bolts. i was able to get the handle out easily, but to make it easier, don't be afraid to trim some material from the tailgate. the attached picture shows where the power lock guys were cutting, and i drew in red where i cut. it will make installation way easier, so you might as well cut before removing the old one.

once you have the old one out, bolt in the new one, re-connect the linkage rods and test out functionality. you may need to adjust the rod location in the connectors to get proper latching. once you have everything working well, remove your string and re-install the bezel. done!

Attachments

• TG Template.JPG
    TG Template.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 223
you will need a #10 * star bit.

fold down the back seats and drop the midgate

release all the bed panel handles and push up on panel #2 to remove as many as you can

crawl back there and remove the #10 star * bolts

pop off the bezel from the outside by prying under the bottom edge and pull straight back firmly

FROM HERE you should be able to see the lock slide and springs.  you can move the lock to the open position and get the tailgate open

the entire lock mechanism comes out with a few philips screws

reinstall the new part and put it all back together but you have the gate open so you dont have to crawl ;-)  putting it back together is actually easier

Thanks, everyone for everything I'm going to order the part tomorrow and install.  Hope to install this weekend I'll take pics and let you guys know the results. 

Again thanks, thanks, thanks

What year are you working on?  A fellow forum member put together some instructions with pics if it is 07 and up...LMK and I will forward them to you. Thanks Michael

GROSA said:
Thanks, everyone for everything I'm going to order the part tomorrow and install.  Hope to install this weekend I'll take pics and let you guys know the results. 

Again thanks, thanks, thanks

how did you make out with this repair?

kwistofoo said:
how did you make out with this repair?

I have a broken tailgate mechanism on my '04, nobody else seems to have the same problem. It's only 3 #10 * star bit screws on the inside and then I can pop outside bezel off to open my tailgate. If I pull the handle with tailgate locked it will not unlock. If I can remember where to poke it with a screwdriver underneath the bezel while using the key I can get it open without crawling inside/removing the screws. Mine works just fine as long as I don't lock it or try to open it when it is locked.

mine is a spring out of place on the lock plates, I could fix it if I saw a good one up close

Flint4x4 said:
I have a broken tailgate mechanism on my '04, nobody else seems to have the same problem. It's only 3 #10 * star bit screws on the inside and then I can pop outside bezel off to open my tailgate. If I pull the handle with tailgate locked it will not unlock. If I can remember where to poke it with a screwdriver underneath the bezel while using the key I can get it open without crawling inside/removing the screws. Mine works just fine as long as I don't lock it or try to open it when it is locked.

mine is a spring out of place on the lock plates, I could fix it if I saw a good one up close

mine did the same a couple years ago.. i don't keep valuables in the box often anyways, so i removed the locking arm.. i intended on replacing it with a power lock but haven't gotten around to it. i did notice that the arm is really thin and bends easily. never looked at the spring though.

I replaced mine on my 04 - no trim broke, Just replaced the handle and put it back together. I was able to open the gate by pulling on the rods going to the latches. It's a tight fir getting the latch in behind the tailgate skin, A little bit of prying and it popped right in.

LK

kwistofoo said:
mine did the same a couple years ago.. i don't keep valuables in the box often anyways, so i removed the locking arm.. i intended on replacing it with a power lock but haven't gotten around to it. i did notice that the arm is really thin and bends easily. never looked at the spring though.

mine is a spring, it's in the locking mechanism

I could simply stop locking mine, it only gets stuck if I forget and pull the handle while locked. I know what is wrong but I have not managed to fix it. If I ever figure it out I will post photos and how to, until then mine is stuck again and I have to crawl thru and remove the screws again  :rolleyes: 

Great save... This worked for me. http://www.355nation.net/forum/exterior/14298-tailgate-wont-unlock.html

Its actually quite easy to open these tailgates if the lock jams. I wrote a how-to with pictures a while ago but it got removed.

- If you lift the handle up and look underneath there are 2 holes where the handles goes through into the tailgate.

- Take a small skinny screwdriver and put it through the passanger side hole only like 1/4".

- Let the handle down but keep the screwdriver in there. the screwdriver will hold the handle up a bit.

- Then push the screwdriver in about another inch.

- Then lift both the handle & the screwdriver together.

TA-DA! Your tailgate is open and you didnt need your key!

Hello everyone.
I went to the truck to put x-mas gifts inside the bed. I lift the handle three times and the 3rd times it completely snapped. The tailgate is closed so how do I open and replace the handle. I've searched the forum and saw the COMPLETE handle on e-bay for $33. PLEASE HELP. The dealer told me 500 f$%^kin :mad: :mad: dollars to replace the handle and the plastic trim, since the trim around it will break when installing the new tailgate handle.

Questions

1. The only thing that broke is the handle. Do I have to purchase a new handle or complete assembly

2. My tailgate does not open, how do I install new handle/assembly. Do I have to climb in through cab and replace tailgate from inside.

3. The ebay price for $33 is the correct. (not bad for the entire assembly)

4. Does anyone have step by step instructions.

Again thanks
:help:
You tube the chick that fixed it
I found my invoice, Part# 15086873 and I paid $90.23 but I get dealer pricing. List is $130.00 for retail customers.
Amazon is around 30.00+ taxes. For tailgate handle & bezel. You might want to order some extra clips in case one falls. The grab ones are around 11.00 for 20.

About a year ago I disassembled my tailgate to repair the latch Some of the pictures and explanation are here:

Hopefully you can see how I modified the OEM clips, I put a nut on the end to keep the rod from pulling thru and added a tie wrap to help hold the clip latched. It has worked flawlessly since I repaired it.

1663704234657.png

Back