Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
10/31/14 08:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XM module - programming?  (Read 3953 times)
SpottyJ
CAFCNA Global Moderator

This is SpottyJ

WWW Awards
« on: 11/28/09 05:28 PM »

Want to change my 2003 XM unit for a 2004 or later so I can then use the upgraded antenna (Trying to improve reception.  Already have the 2004 antenna.)

Questions:

Are XM units VIN matched, or need programming from dealer? (understand I would need to give unit # to XM)

Any idea where I can find a 2004-2005 XM unit for decent price?

Any idea of 2004 XM unit part number?
« Last Edit: 03/07/10 09:20 AM by SpottyJ » Logged

03' Z-71:  Drk Grn Met: Drv Conv Pckg, XM, OnStar, Sunroof, 10-way Heat Lthr Seats, Bose, Assist Steps, GND Effects Pckg, Roof Rack, Trlr Pckg, MODS: Maglite, Hardwire RADAR, Wheel Well Plug, WeatherTech Bug Shield, Bowtie by "Carriles", Silverstars-Fog/DRL/Signals, Rod Mod Remote Tailgate Lock, Zaino, HIDs in Lows.
MS03 2500
CAFCNA 2014 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 11/28/09 06:16 PM »

No they are not VIN matched, but if you are adding one then yes it would have to be programmed.

I have seen some on ebay for about 75 bucks

Sorry can't help with the part number off the top of my head.

Let me know if you are having problems finding one, then I'll help search the numbers down. I'm sure any module from a GM full size truck will work.

2003 2500
SpottyJ
CAFCNA Global Moderator

This is SpottyJ

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: 11/28/09 07:00 PM »

No they are not VIN matched, but if you are adding one then yes it would have to be programmed.

MS03:

thanks for the reply.

I already have a 2003 XM unit installed, so what are your thoughts on swapping to a 2004 (no programming?)

03' Z-71:  Drk Grn Met: Drv Conv Pckg, XM, OnStar, Sunroof, 10-way Heat Lthr Seats, Bose, Assist Steps, GND Effects Pckg, Roof Rack, Trlr Pckg, MODS: Maglite, Hardwire RADAR, Wheel Well Plug, WeatherTech Bug Shield, Bowtie by "Carriles", Silverstars-Fog/DRL/Signals, Rod Mod Remote Tailgate Lock, Zaino, HIDs in Lows.
MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 11/28/09 07:16 PM »

MS03:

thanks for the reply.

I already have a 2003 XM unit installed, so what are your thoughts on swapping to a 2004 (no programming?)

Yes just put it in and call XM to transfer service.

2003 2500
heine12oz

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 11/28/09 10:20 PM »

If I have the xm head unit but never got the module from the general, how can I add one so I can get XM in my stock 03 head unit?
MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 11/29/09 07:43 AM »

Not quite sure what you mean by a XM head unit. The XM is a module that plays thru the HeadUnit.

So if you are asking can you add it yes you can. Just buy the Module and the installation kit(Wire Harness) and plug it in. You will have to take it to the dealer and have it programmed and then call XM to have it activated.

Oops I forgot you need a antenna if you don't have one already.
« Last Edit: 11/29/09 08:31 AM by MS03 2500 » Logged

2003 2500
heine12oz

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 11/29/09 11:42 AM »

Thanks MS03
I have the small antena on the roof, is that for XM?

What I mean by the XM head unit is, I have the XM channel on it, but I didn't get the module that connects to the FM.  WHere do I get that from?  I want the one that goes in the glove box and ran thru the head unit, not the external one that buy at Best Buy.
SpottyJ
CAFCNA Global Moderator

This is SpottyJ

WWW Awards
« Reply #7 on: 03/07/10 09:19 AM »

Update:  I installed/replaced a new (used from eBay) XM unit in my Avalanche and now the radio shows "XM LOCK".  Some research indicates that the XM unit is indeed matched to the vehicle, and this is NOT a TechII fix  banghead

http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=70849&sid=3b9d09a39c0617e04b45ca8f428111d4

Had to pay someone $35 to do it, but took the XM box I got out of a salvage yard and had the "eeprom re-flashed". This set everything back to zero just like a new unit. When I plugged it in it married up to my radio and BCM. Unless I have it re-flashed again it will not work in any other vehicle.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22408&st=15

"TIP: Do not attempt to swap digital
receivers between vehicles. Each receiver
learns the VIN of the vehicle it is installed
in, and will not operate in another vehicle.
A message (XM Lock, XM Locked, or XM
Theftlocked) will be displayed if this is
attempted."

Any idea if this is correct - I need to clear the Electrically erasable memory matrix (EEPROM) on the XM unit?

Any idea where you go to get EEPROMs cleared?

« Last Edit: 03/07/10 09:42 AM by SpottyJ » Logged

MS03 2500

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 03/07/10 11:02 AM »

That is a new one on me,I'll do some digging around
« Last Edit: 03/07/10 11:14 AM by MS03 2500 » Logged

2003 2500
GXP25

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 05/16/10 07:53 AM »

A big thanks to SpottyJ for his great googling and research skills in finding the above threads!

From there, I created the following thread with all the relevant information:

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,120114.0.html

My original thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2595845-xm-lock-xm-locked-or-xm-theftlocked-issue-resolved.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: