• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Avalanche spark plugs

markwspencer

Hoping someone can help me...got over 100,000 on my '03 avalanche and figured it was about time to change the plugs.  However I can not seem to get the boots off, is there a secret that I don't know about?

Here's a link to an existing thread on the subject but the general consensus is
Intimidatoruag said:
I had an 03 ... I ordered Taylor thundervolt wires for Av and they never cared which coil I had .....

besides ... pull on those bad boys they will come off ....

Good luck and  :welcome: to the site.

ENsure they can twist ... this will unstick rubber...
then pull

Spark plug boot puller pliers are great tools to have as well

markwspencer said:
Hoping someone can help me...got over 100,000 on my '03 avalanche and figured it was about time to change the plugs.  However I can not seem to get the boots off, is there a secret that I don't know about?
Make sure your local Autostore has a set of wires BEFORE you remove the boots from the plugs.

If they are stuck on really bad, youll end up pulling a wire or two out of the boot/metal shield.

I know this from experience on my 98 Silverado...My buddy knows it form experience on his 01 explorer.

The metal heat shields appear to little if any good....my RX300 gets hotter than hell, and it doesnt have shields...just super high grade silicone wires.

Use LOTS of Dielectric Grease on the new plugs/boots, in case you get a bad new plug.

Most times you can use a set of needle nose pliers on top of the steel shield.

The boot pullers, and I have one, doesn't look too strong.

Like others has said, buy a new set of wires before you go to pull the old ones off - because damage might occur

I used a pair of water pump pliers to pull on the rubber of mine.

Gee, I hope he's gotten them off by now  :laugh:

Something that has nearly always worked for me is to try and push the boot on a little further-sorta the same technique our parent or big brother used to get our fingers out of the Chinese finger trap when we were little.

Monte Carlo Man said:
Most times you can use a set of needle nose pliers on top of the steel shield.
The boot pullers, and I have one, doesn't look too strong.
Like others has said, buy a new set of wires before you go to pull the old ones off - because damage might occur
I used a pair of water pump pliers to pull on the rubber of mine.

All of my boots came off relatively easy, No tool needed. And I did not put the metal shields back on.

Just dont drop a spark plug thru the exhaust, its a paid getting them off the skid plate.

arizona-dave said:
All of my boots came off relatively easy, No tool needed. And I did not put the metal shields back on.

Just dont drop a spark plug thru the exhaust, its a paid getting them off the skid plate.

Heh, reminds me! I've got a freakin' hood spring/coil mounting bolt somewhere in my engine bay. It is amazing what you can lose in there. Knowing my luck, it'll come free right into the fan blades, taking it out, while bouncing around enough to crack the water pump and then bounce off of the ground and puncture my oil pan. Oh yes, it will happen.

ramonday said:
Heh, reminds me! I've got a freakin' hood spring/coil mounting bolt somewhere in my engine bay. It is amazing what you can lose in there. Knowing my luck, it'll come free right into the fan blades, taking it out, while bouncing around enough to crack the water pump and then bounce off of the ground and puncture my oil pan. Oh yes, it will happen.

Oh Yes it will. But it will wait until your also 150 miles from home in the forest or desert to shake loose.

Keep a pack of JB weld, and a few beers in the bed storage compartments. HAHA

I just purchased new wires and plugs for my recently-purchased 04.  It's going to turn 100k next month, I project.

My choice of wires doesn't have the metal shields mentioned earlier in this thread.  Is the consensus that they were some kind of heat shield and unhelpful or unnecessary?

Back