• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Sunroof leak!!

Jason122h

Got some estimates and they seem way out of the water. whats a good price to fix the leak. one guy said some hoses might be clogged. i just think the sun has shrunk the rubber molding through rain shine rain shine.

i was told a new fixture would be $2,000 without labor cost. then i was told 300 to unclog hoses. I'm here just spinning in circles so any help would be greatly appreciated.

hi i was a gm tech for 8 years . i remember that problem .i was browsing through and saw the prices you posted on there . here's what you do get a  air compressor  with a air blower .open the sunroof all the way .look in the sunroof track on the right forward and left forward corners you will see two holes that's where the water drains from .put the blower nozzle onto the holes surface closing it up . then blow the air. if you open the font two door you will see and hear the air blow out and the debris that might bein there come out . hit me back . :B:avalanche -on22 :B:

Avalanche-on22 said:
hi i was a gm tech for 8 years . i remember that problem .i was browsing through and saw the prices you posted on there . here's what you do get a  air compressor  with a air blower .open the sunroof all the way .look in the sunroof track on the right forward and left forward corners you will see two holes that's where the water drains from .put the blower nozzle onto the holes surface closing it up . then blow the air. if you open the font two door you will see and hear the air blow out and the debris that might bein there come out . hit me back . :B:avalanche -on22 :B:

i saw those holes. will try that first thing in the morning and get back to ya. no headliner needs to be removed right?

also thanks to who moved my thread  (y)  now i know of this section. i really need to do some more exploring around on here

alright. well it seems like someone stole my air compressor and a lot of other tools out of my garage.  :E:

so as soon as i get my hands on an air compressor then i try that and get back

Hopefully it is a front drain clog.  The back drains aren't easy to get to...  If there's a way to get to these without pulling down the headliner I'd love to know how...

thats messed up no air compressor  :beating:i hate when you are looking for something someone misplaces it for you . and the mane source of the cloggs are in the front where all the debris comes in from  :B:

well if i cant find a friend with one i can just wait untill i start my school and they will most likely have one...should i just use the tip that fills up basketballs and footballs?

found the culprit. very small crack on the seal. is this an easy item to replace? if not whats the average price on replacing this? im still going to clean out the drains too

so im finally getting around to this crack in the sunroof seal . does anyone know where to get one besides buying a whole new/junked sunroof

The sunroof is designed to leak...  there are gutters which catch the drips and route the water through 2 front drains, and 4 back drains...  these gutters are much like the ones you can see on the sides of your bed when you remove the 3 bed panels...    if the gutters fill up, you will have water bleeding in to your head liner...  the obstruction needs to be cleared... sometimes its just a leaf from a tree blocking the entrance to the drain hoses...  the rear drain entrances are harder to get to than the front and can require dropping the headliner at least partially...  this happened to me and I was able to drop it down *partially* and find the obstruction...    replacing only the sunroof seal without checking for clogs at the drain is not a good idea...

one other note... if you don't believe me that the seal to your sunroof isn't supposed to be waterproof than try this...  climb on the roof and press down on the glass... you will detect movement and you will know then that there is no way that it is supposed to be *perfectly* sealed...   

marzahld  is correct.

I just had the sunroof out of my wifes Avalanche, to remove glass and gravel out of the tracts.  There is no way in heck that thing seals when shut.  

Alaska_AV. said:
marzahld  is correct.

I just had the sunroof out of my wifes Avalanche, to remove glass and gravel out of the tracts.  There is no way in heck that thing seals when shut.  

i dont doubt and do understand what you guys are saying about i cant fully seal it. There is a visible crack and the seal has to be forsure replaced.

i just dont want to buy a whole new one or junked one over a little piece of rubber

Alaska_AV. said:
Have you checked wreaking yards for used glass or seal

yeah but most of them have said the dont have it (so i check every couple days) or i would have to purchase the whole sunroof. im still tryin though
a lot of junkyards in houston

Post a pic of the seal crack... I'm curious how bad the sunroof seal is....        also get a 16 oz bottle of water and dump it slowly (maybe over 30 seconds or so) into both of your side gutters... make sure your gutter drainage system is good...  mine did not pass this test until I cleared rear drain blockage....  obviously you will need to have the sunroof open to make pouring the water in easier... also this test is best done while on LEVEL ground...

marzahld said:
Post a pic of the seal crack... I'm curious how bad the sunroof seal is....        also get a 16 oz bottle of water and dump it slowly (maybe over 30 seconds or so) into both of your side gutters... make sure your gutter drainage system is good...  mine did not pass this test until I cleared rear drain blockage....  obviously you will need to have the sunroof open to make pouring the water in easier... also this test is best done while on LEVEL ground...

ok i wll check the gutter. but for taking the picture im going to have to get camera cause my phone doesnt have a flash 

avalanche -on22 is correct. You need to blow compressed air into the drain hole on each side in the front. These are easy to access. Just open the sunroof and look. To get enough air pressure to blow out the obstruction, get a section of rubber tubing that just fits in the drain hole. I use 5/32 windshield washer tubing. The typical air nozzle has a restrictor that can be removed. Unscrew this restrictor and stick the rubber tubing into the end of the air nozzle. The better the fit, the more pressure you will get.

As others have noted, the sunroof is expected to leak a little. If one your front drains is clogged, you should see water in the gutter. Pour water in with a water bottle to check.

2002 Avalanche Z71 1500  Sun Roof leak
1.  Tried snaking with a plumbing tool but would only go down maybe 8", then tried Trimmer line but blocked at the same depth, then I tried air pressure...no help there.
2.  Removed the side bar and parted the "hose" at the joint and tried the 3 methods above...still not working.
3.  I looked for the bottom of the hose and noticed a foam flap near the hinges had debrie sticking out.  I held the flap with one hand, removed 17 years of soil, leaves, and other debrie---probably 2 cups of soil like stuff.  Then used WATER pressure at that split joint...worked.  Put it all back together.  BTW, I could see water coming down the drain through the area behind the flap. 

With drain problem solved on both sides, I found with the liner removed that the edge of the glass over the driver's head (mine) was dripping on the edge of the line before splashing on me.  There is no channel or pan to catch that water like there is on the sides and edges.  I could easily see the water "slipping" between the gasket and the edge before dripping down on me.  I've seen a gasket at this site:  https://www.dkhardware.com/replacement-silicone-main-seal-14-x-33-autoport-sunroof-RS200SFC-product-26152.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwocPnBRDFARIsAJJcf97N3lIHovSrsVh3pNkMwYZzVxeyv42_EKUWtPrcJGhYxfxLHUix56UaAmwZEALw_wcB  but don't yet know how to take old gasket off and install the new one...and I'm not sure that will solve the problem.

What's your thoughts on the matter?  Still hunting for a DIY video. 

There should be a channel over the driver and passenger seat.It will be located between the headliner and the sunroof glass,and will sometimes rattle loose and be stuck inside there so that the headliner door will get stuck inbetween.Mine was loose just some weeks ago,so i had to place it in its place again.

marzahld said:

My 2005 Avalanche is leaking on the passenger side. Checked/blew both forward drains clear (they were not blocked).  I have not seen any directions to clear the rear drains.  We have had heavy rains for the last 15 weeks (1-2" or more) in central KY area.  This last rain I could have stocked the pond on my front passenger floor.  Any suggestions?  The truck was not driven prior to the rain.  when it was driven, the AC was not used & the floor was dry.

Is there a chance I could have not gotten the sunroof aligned properly when removed it to work on the sun shield?  I had removed it last fall to clean up the sun shield.  I brought the seal even with the roof surface when I replaced it.  Any help is awesome.  Thanks!

Hey Gator. You mentioned that you blew your front drains clean, did you test by pouring water in the trough and seeing the same volume exit the bottom of the vehicle? I ask because the lines could have come apart inside the pillars from the pressure of the air hose, meaning they seem clear with the air pressure but instead dump water inside.

For the rear (and front) sunroof drains, i recommend weed eater string. Feed the string through the drains until they test clear/open by pouring water as well. 

Sure it is possible the whole unit is not aligned, but if all drains are clear they can shed quite a bit of water, as no sunroof seals perfectly but they are meant to drain well.
Good luck!

Back