• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Bully Dog Triple Dog GT Gas Tuner

I've got that on my wife's suburban, works great, got the edge on my avalanche... just a little nicer.

I have HPtuners with the year license for 2002  (y)

I'm not familiar with HP tuners, how does it work? I know the ones that I am looking at are vehicle mounted and you can adjust on the fly (drive) for power or mileage, plus a lot of other stuff. How does an HP tuner work?

The bully dog has preloaded tunes, HP reads your the ecu and lets you modify it. Unless you have the time to learn, dont tune it yourself. Have someone tune it using hp tuners. I dont think bully dog lets you remove torque management, but im not sure.

Older thread but just wondering if anyone has updated experience with the triple dog since last year. I can't tell from their web site if it has torque management delete/adjustment or not. Thanks

I've been using Bully Dog GT on my 02 Avy for several months now and really like it.  However, you can't change power settings on the fly.  I believe this only works on diesel engines.  One really nice feature is that it can display the trans temp on the 1500.  I have my GT and a GPS mounted on a dual gauge pod on the pillar.

The only issue I've had is that it won't correct for a non-stock gear ratio.  I've spoken to tech support a couple of times about this and they think the problem will be resolved on the next firmware update due out in a few weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_1294.JPG
    IMG_1294.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 513
Clay, can you adjust the torque management though? Im leaning this way vs a tune but only if it does have torque features. Thanks

No independant torque management control on the GT.  It has pre-designed tunes for "Performance", "Standard", and "Towing".  I use it mostly for towing and it seems to do a good job providing a little extra HP and trans settings and I like the real time gauges.

Hello.  Lets see if we can revive this thread.  Im looking to get a tuner for my truck, 2003 Avy 1500.  My main concern is towing.  I pulled a 26' TT last summer and the truck did great.  Control was never an issue.  However I feel like it could use just a "Little" bit more power.  I hate when the trans constantly hunts for the power-band for obvious reasons.  From what I've read the Triple dog GT sounds like what I should go with.  What about Edge?  Never heard of them before.  Although I am a tech I'm not too interested in learning how to custom tune.  I'm Comfortable with canned tunes considering the only modification I plan to make is with the intake.  Any other thoughts on who I should be considering for a tuner?

Thanks in advance!

I had the Bully Dog on my 1500 Avy and liked it very much.  I hated it on my 2500 8.1L Avy and switched to the Hypertech Max Energy.  Along with an intake, you should consider opening up the exhaust a bit as well.

So iv'e been checking out the Bully Dog Gt tuner and it looks legit. I saw that this one said 49 state legal. So whats the difference between this tuner and others? I live in Cali so the 49 state legal thing is nice but is it really that much different between other tuners? I wouldn't getting this tuner for now just to add some extra ponies but eventually I want to add a supercharger and get rid of the torque management system. I dont know much about tuners so any info on this would be great. What puzzles me is the 49 state legal thing. I dont know what makes it like that. Thanks!
http://www.autoanything.com/performance-chips/61A4442A0A0.aspx

There are 2 versions, 49 state then the cali legal 50 state tuner. Don't know what the difference is but I'm sure all of the tunes had to be Ok'd with carb for the cali version.

i have the bullydog and personally hate it it was nothing i hoped it would be no where near enough adjustable parameters. My truck actually runs and drives  better without it installed  but a lil faster on the top end with it.

Back