• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Wheel Stud Extensions & Spacer Plates

james21

Cruise Coord
PM 2021
PM 2019
PM 2014
PM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
I'm wndering if anyone has ever done Wheel stud extensions (put extended studs on their wheel hubs) or put spacers in to make wheels work that wouldn't work otherwise?
I'm faced with a tough decision, I got a set of American Racing 16x8 Predator Rims (Black teflon coated finish) for my birthday, but they have the wrong back spacing, I need an extra 1/2 inch of space so that my tires aren't resting on the upper control arms. I've never done anything like this before, and it is my only option, because I can't send them back to the company, because they said after they are mounted they won't take them back. And the guy I bought them through, said he won't take them and eat the cost of them, even though it was his mistake; (I told the guy the backspacing I needed and he didn't inform me until after I had found out that they were the wrong back spacing. Secondly it seems as though every company that sells the wheels on the internet has the wrong info for the wheels and the company hasn't made an effort to fix the problem.) So I can try to make the wheels fit which ever way I can, or I can try to sell them on ebay.
So any help you guys can give me, I'd appreciate it.

One more bit of info that I could really use: Someone please explain the difference between Offset and Backspace. I've had 3-4 techs try and explain it to me, and it still isn't making much sense. The AR wheels are a 0mm offset and a 4.00 backspace; my current procomp wheels are a 6mm offset and a 4.25 backspace, why do the ARs rub and the Procomps don't ??? :E:.
Anyone  :help: Please.

-James.

I'd never consider it without using longer, hardened studs and even then I'm leary.

DougD said:
I'd never consider it without using longer, hardened studs and even then I'm leary.

I'd agree. Replace the Studs!  Using extensions and a plate is just making one of the most weak areas on the vehicle weaker.

Just my .02

backspace is the measurement from the mounting flange to the back to the wheel lip, offset is how far the mounting flange is off from center. so your 16x8 wheels have 4.00 of backspace and because they're 8.00 inches wide there is also 4.00 inches from the mounting flange to the front lip of the rim, exactly in the center(no offset). the other wheel is 16x8 but has 4.25 backspace,so the mounting flange is closer to the front lip of the wheel by .25 inch (or 6mm)
p.s. i would never run more than a .25 spacer and only on a drive axle, NEVER a steer axle !!!

Ok well I'm still lost as to why one wheel fits and the other doesn't? :E:

-James.

Sounds like the offset and backspace actually represent the same thing, they are just different measurements from different locations. If you think about it, the ProComps are .25 farther to the outside (from the hub) than the AR's. That would explain the rubbing. It probably doesn't rub much, but .25 can make a bigger difference than you might think.

Offset is from center of rim and can be positive or negative. Puch Wheel in or out.
Back spacing is mesurment from back side of rim to mounting Face.

Back spacing is what it is If you need 4.5" you need 4.5".
Bases on that information if you have a 8" wide rim and  a 9" wide rim
the off set will differ 25.4mm. if both keep the same BS.

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

Back